Kent coffee service arrived!

  • seavandal91203
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2009
      The kent coffee set arrived today in excellent condition! Nothing
      broken and wrapped better than I have ever seen anything wrapped.
      Foam, bubble wrap, peanuts, napkins and tape. I cleaned everything
      and attached the top bowl with the spring/original cloth filter
      inserted correctly (or so I thought). Onto the gas burner on medium
      and waited. Yikes! It works! After a brew time of a minute, I took it
      off the burner and waited for it to go south . Whoosh! The spring
      loaded device tipped sideways and let the whole load go through.
      Repeat. Same problem! Then, I analized the situation and found that I
      needed to push the filter deeper into the siphon. With that, I ground
      some fresh bean and gave it another whirl. Sweet! All went well and
      functioned perfectly. The coffee certainly was not as hot as the
      coffeemaster. I did start with cold water. The directions state that
      I should wait until the water is boiling before I put the top bowl
      on. I suppose this will fix the "not so hot coffee" problem. Are
      there any other tricks to get hotter coffee? I did notice that the
      seal slipped a little as I twisted the top bowl on. Is this normal? I
      had already rinsed the pot twice before I noticed this slippage. I
      guess water got between the seal and the glass. There was never any
      seepage in all three cycles. Overall, great set. I think this will be
      my small collection for now. Experimenting with the Robot,
      Coffeemaster and the Kent should keep me entertained for a while!
      Thanks to all for your great responses to my posts. Chris
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2009
        Chris,

        You will find when you locate the original porcelain type Kent filter that due to the weight of the filter and the grounds around it, the water will get much hotter and take longer to come up. Those cloth type or spring filters let the water come up very easily and will do so faster, thus cooler than you want. Yes preheating the water is one method to use to get it right with your set up. I measured the temperature of the water brewing in all the major stove top pots, the kent was the hottest of the ones I checked due to the time it took it to finally bring up the water.

        That seal will possibly leak some eventually if its moving around on the pot. That is where I found placing a wide postal type rubber band under it helped to prevent that. Those seals can be difficult to take on and off and will come off easier when warmed. I wouldn't do the rubber band thing unless it starts to spit water, which if you get the heavier filter it may cause it to do. Now is hasn't much resistance so it goes up, if you have more pressure, thus hotter water, it may start to spit some out the sides. that will cause it to want to stall on the way down sometimes since your vacuum will not be tight to draw it down as it should.

        Sounds like things are going nicely for you, you seem to be quite lucky in the pots you have picked out.

        Larry