Whirley Pop

  • seavandal91203
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009
      I was out on my typical Saturday garage sale / estate sale hunt today
      and came across a Whirley Pop popcorn popper in new condition. I
      remembered seeing somewhere that these could be used as bean roasters.
      I took the chance and forked over a whole dollar for it. Off to Jones
      Brothers coffee roasters in Pasadena (3 miles away) to buy a pound of
      Guatemala and a pound of Sumatra. The great thing about these guys is
      that they give you a quarter pound of sampler coffee (your choice) when
      you buy a pound of coffee. I took the Coleman stove outside and put the
      Whirley Pop on it with a thermometer stuck in it and put a half pound
      of the Guatemala in it. On medium heat, it took about 6 or 7 minutes to
      get to second crack. Nice smoke! Out to the colander to cool off and
      then into a mason jar. I'll wait until tomorrow to grind it. This
      method is far superior to the air popper. The air popper was so noisy
      and didn't produce any smoke even with the modifications to kill the
      thermostat in it. Besides, roasting 2 or 3 ounces as opposed to a half
      a pound? I don't mind the hands on work it takes to roast the beans, so
      I might just have to retire the air popper after just one use. Has
      anyone tried a Whirley Pop popper? I'll post the results of the first
      attempt tomorrow. By the way, all this coffee drinking lately sure has
      made me less tired throughout the day! Chris