[vacpot] Re: Newbie looking for a vacpot

  • Mike Avery
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
      The stickiness and/or melting is actually the rubber returning to it's natural state- becoming partially UN-vulcanized. This effect has something to do with the purity and mix of the materials used when it was manufactured and its reaction with ozone, UV radiation and other natural and chemical factors. Nothing you can do will stop it once it starts. Heating with anything hotter than boiling water may actually accelerate the melting. I've seen turntable belts and 8-track tape wheels completely return to liquid form.

      I've read the suggestions using automotive chemicals to soften rubber seals, using automatic transmission stop-leak. Yes, this does work on partially hardened rubber- at a price. It works by partially breaking down the rubber, causing it to swell in the process. This now resoftened rubber will seal, but the swelling causes it to wear away VERY quickly and you then have massive leakage that can't be stopped with another dose of stop-leak. So, Stop-leak was never meant to be a permanent repair, but fails to mention this on the bottle. Is Stop-leak safe to use on vacpot seals? Not if you want to actually DRINK what comes out of the pot. I would try it on one to be used as a decoration only. Ingesting petroleum products in this small of a quantity probably wouldn't even make you sick (ever siphon gas?), but the coffee would be horrible, at best.

      Mike Avery
      Louisville, KY

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
        Thank goodness most of us like finding and trying these pots, because one never knows what you have till you actually get it home and try it.

        Larry

        > The stickiness and/or melting is actually
        > the rubber returning to it's natural state- becoming
        > partially UN-vulcanized. This effect has something to do
        > with the purity and mix of the materials used when it was
        > manufactured and its reaction with ozone, UV radiation and
        > other natural and chemical factors. Nothing you can do will
        > stop it once it starts. Heating with anything hotter than
        > boiling water may actually accelerate the melting. I've
        > seen turntable belts and 8-track tape wheels completely
        > return to liquid form.
        >

        > I've read the suggestions using automotive chemicals to
        > soften rubber seals, using automatic transmission stop-leak.
        > Yes, this does work on partially hardened rubber- at a
        > price. It works by partially breaking down the rubber,
        > causing it to swell in the process. This now resoftened
        > rubber will seal, but the swelling causes it to wear away
        > VERY quickly and you then have massive leakage that
        > can't be stopped with another dose of stop-leak. So,
        > Stop-leak was never meant to be a permanent repair, but
        > fails to mention this on the bottle. Is Stop-leak safe to
        > use on vacpot seals? Not if you want to actually DRINK what
        > comes out of the pot. I would try it on one to be used as a
        > decoration only. Ingesting petroleum products in this small
        > of a quantity probably wouldn't even make you sick (ever
        > siphon gas?), but the coffee would be horrible, at best.
        >

        > Mike Avery
        >
        > Louisville, KY

      • Ron McCray
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
          Hi Chris,

          Our vacpot collection has at least one of each of the various
          Sunbeam Coffeemaster vacpots. (That is: C20, C30, C30 "Beehive",
          C40 and C50) We much prefer the C20 since it has a different
          type of gasket and is not prone to the problems of gaskets on
          the other models.

          The C20 has a filter holder that extends clear down to the
          bottom of the lower pot and is held there by actually screwing
          into the bottom. This, therefore, holds the upper part quite
          snugly to the lower part and always forms a seal without fail.
          The seals we've seen on C20s have almost always been in fine
          condition (maybe they used a better formula for the rubber as
          this was the first in the line of Sunbeam's vacpot models). The
          rubber gasket seems firmer than the others but you don't have
          to shove them down into the lower part to get a seal.

          You mentioned in one of your posts that you disliked the lack of
          a handle on the top of the C20, but a good potholder enables one
          to remove the hot upper part quite nicely.

          The only real drawback of the C20 might be the fact that (as
          far as we know) one must use a cloth filter in the filter holder.
          These can still be found on eBay from time to time...some have
          even said you can cut a cloth filter from flannel cloth and use
          it. We always thoroughly wash our cloth filters in baking soda
          water and air-dry them. We get many uses from a single cloth
          filter.

          So there you have it. We prefer the C20 over all the others.
          By the way, the "Beehive" model is just a C30 with the glass top
          and it has the very troublesome rubber gasket that all C30s have.
          (Fortunately, our "Beehive" has a gasket in excellent condition.)
        • seavandal91203
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
            Hi all. I'm a first time vacpot owner! Ebay provided me with my coffee
            pot fix today. C30a. The lady ran it through the brewing cycle with
            water for me and said that it worked fine. The unit has a filter that
            comes with it (cloth? paper?). Overall, it looks good. Total with
            shipping is about $25. Sweet! I was searching online for filter info
            for the c30 and someone suggested that one could use a "Bodum French
            Press replacement filter". I would have to cut it to fit but no more
            cloth or paper filter needed. I did come across another c30 that had a
            metal filter with holes in it. I wanted to know if they are
            interchangeable with the paper filter spring-loaded device that mine
            will come with. I'd rather not deal with the paper or cloth filters if
            possible. On the other hand, setting up these coffee makers to make a
            cup of Joe is half the fun! I think the all-glass type vacpots look
            interesting since you can watch the brewing action as it does its
            thing. Should I get one with a burner or will my gas stove work? I did
            see a Cory electric on eBay. A little pricy for me. Thanks for all the
            information that you all have provided me. I think this may be the
            first of many vacpots that I will have to acquire. Chris
          • Dave Leonard
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
              I have both the metal screen and cloth filter for the Sunbeams. I think the mounting rod/handles are a bit different, but the entire units are interchangeable. I prefer the screens, as they are less of a bother. Both work fine.

              I use my glass vac brewer on my gas stove top.

              Dave

              seavandal91203 <seavandal@...> wrote: Hi all. I'm a first time vacpot owner! Ebay provided me with my coffee

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                Chris,

                Welcome to the addicting world of coffee pot collecting.

                If it were me I would aim for a glass set next. On gas you fine, just don't use it on electric without a diffuser. With glass you can time the coffee to suit your self, plus enjoy watching the brew.

                I would go for the metal filter also, less trouble to deal with. In the meantime however any paper round cup type filter can just be traced round and cut to form a circle a bit larger than the metal outside circle of the part you have. You can just poke a hole in the center to go over the stem, I think it goes through the center? Been a while since I used that style. If you use paper you will have to change it each time. Cloth can be washed but my personnel experience has been that the filter quickly taints the coffee to my taste.

                Larry

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                  Larry,

                  I'll have to try a paper filter on my Sunbeam filter holder. Do you know if this filters out flavor oils like paper can do with a drip brewer?

                  Dave

                  Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote: Chris,

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                    I would think the result would be the same.