Re: [vacpot] Newbie looking for a vacpot

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
      Hi Chris,

      If you have a sunbeam with the metal filter screen with small holes then you don't need a filter.

      The 20 models do have an advantage in that the rubber seal is usually not bad in them. The filter rod also screws down in them to hold it tighter.

      Many like the late C 50 pots but I had a couple and wasn't crazy about those large "wings" that lock the seal personally.

      I have had several Bee Hive tops and pots. What something might sell for depends on how bad someone wants it. They are rather unusual so they can be harder to find than the others. Lately the few I have watched have not brought the kind of price one might have expected a couple years ago. Of course finding the item locally at a thrift store or garage sale is going to save you a bunch. But that is a fairly unlikely, even though the two I had were found that way. In fact the one top was at a shop for years before I even knew what it was. When I ask the lady what she wanted for it she said, "oh, give me a dollar for it". On ebay it might have cost you 50.00 and up at the time.

      I still encourage you to pick up a good seal glass manual pot so that you can compare the results. Many think the Sun Beam "scorches" the coffee due to the hot and empty pot the coffee returns too. When you control your own heat and brew time you can get a better cup of coffee in my humble opinion.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
        I have an old Sunbeam C30 that the heater went South on. I pulled the plastic off the bottom, cut the brass screw off and pounded the bottom until it was not protruding beyond the rim. I pounded the heating coils flat. I now have the best stove-top vacuum brewer I've ever owned. Works great every time and don't break when I drop it like my glass Silex did. Oh yeah, I borrowed the rubber seal from a C50 I have. It is still very soft.

        Dave

        Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote: Hi Chris,

        If you have a sunbeam with the metal filter screen with small holes then you don't need a filter.

        The 20 models do have an advantage in that the rubber seal is usually not bad in them. The filter rod also screws down in them to hold it tighter.

        Many like the late C 50 pots but I had a couple and wasn't crazy about those large "wings" that lock the seal personally.

        I have had several Bee Hive tops and pots. What something might sell for depends on how bad someone wants it. They are rather unusual so they can be harder to find than the others. Lately the few I have watched have not brought the kind of price one might have expected a couple years ago. Of course finding the item locally at a thrift store or garage sale is going to save you a bunch. But that is a fairly unlikely, even though the two I had were found that way. In fact the one top was at a shop for years before I even knew what it was. When I ask the lady what she wanted for it she said, "oh, give me a dollar for it". On ebay it might have cost you 50.00 and up at the time.

        I still encourage you to pick up a good seal glass manual pot so that you can compare the results. Many think the Sun Beam "scorches" the coffee due to the hot and empty pot the coffee returns too. When you control your own heat and brew time you can get a better cup of coffee in my humble opinion.

        Larry

        > --- Thanks for all the great info Larry. I
        > think probably go with the
        >
        > C30a and get my feet wet with that one first. I've read
        > about tweeking
        >
        > them and testing it all with a thermometer. I just have to
        > wait until
        >
        > the right one comes up. I like the ones that have the metal
        > filter
        >
        > plate with holes in it. Does that mean that they don't
        > need a paper
        >
        > filter? It would be great if I didn't have to mess
        > around with a paper
        >
        > filter. I don't like the 20 models since they don't
        > have the top
        >
        > handle. Are there any good ones that you can recommend? Are
        > the 30's
        >
        > better than the 40's or 50's? Which one of the
        > coffeemasters is the
        >
        > best in your opinion? I'm wondering if I should start
        > checking out the
        >
        > local thrift stores or antique stores/malls around here. It
        > seems a lot
        >
        > more difficult to do that than to let my fingers do the
        > walking on the
        >
        > keyboard. Anyway, thanks again for the information about
        > these great
        >
        > vacuum pots. If I bump into a beehive in good working
        > condition, what
        >
        > should I expect to pay for it? Of course, how often do you
        > bump into
        >
        > one of those? Are they scarce? I think the c30a will be my
        > training
        >
        > wheel pot! Adios, Chris

      • Phil Warner
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
          Chris,
          Chances are the seal was wrecked already being too hard and stiff to come apart. I bought one stuck that way at a local shop and did get it apart, but have yet to find anything that will soften the seal. I bought it because both pots were in very good condition and I had a workable seal on a banged up C30a I'd bought on ebay just to get the original stand that came with it.
          We use a C30c every day and prefer it to our former Cuisinart Grind & Brew. Both warm and high settings are adjustable and ours brews at 205 degrees, makes very good coffee with medium ground beans, and holds about 140 degrees on warm. I tried a C20 and what others have said about the C20 seals generally being good is true because the seal doesn't have to flex to remove the top. Ours, however, tended to stick and even though the top is designed to lift off by the rim when the rod is unscrewed I found it hard to remove and harder to handle without an attached handle like the C30s. There's also a chance of dislodging the filter and dropping grounds into the lower pot if the top one sticks.
          I've bought a couple of C30s on Ebay with pliable seals and have a complete set with tray, sugar, creamer, and stand that serves us well and I have a second C30c in reserve. I found a good food grade rubber lubricant gel called P-80 THIX from International Products Corp that I use to lube the seals every week or so; you can even request a free sample on their web site. So far it hasn't softened that hard seal, though, nor has the Leatherique leather and rubber conditioner I use to soften leather car seats. If anyone has a suggestion for softening these I'd appreciate hearing. I tried soaking in hot water as one lady suggested, but could not feel much difference even when still warm.
          I'd recommend trying a C30a, b, or c with the metal filter; I believe the metal one was introduced with the B models, but some A models have them as a replacement. They can be found on ebay for as little as $10 to $15 although shipping can add another $15 to $20. Most any two prong appliance cord can be used, although the original Sunbeam CoffeeMaster plug slips on and off more easily than others I've tried.
          Good luck, Chris, and good coffee making.

          Cheers, Phil Warner

          ****************

          "I picked a C30a up at a garage sale about a week ago but the pots were stuck together. I wrecked the seal trying to get the pots apart. I decided to
          research this pot and really had no idea that these were vacuum pots. What a concept! I've never heard of one of these. I saw a beehive in action on youtube and I decided I have to find one. Anyway, great group "

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
            I don't know what the environmental effects on the Sunbeam seal were over the years. But it seems that either they have held up or they have not. So if your purchasing them I would not consider that anything one does to it after getting it is going to make it softer.

            I have noticed myself that if you have a borderline stiff one then the heating of the gasket can cause it to release or go together easier. But if it is a total rock already it has little effect and the efforts to take it apart can be quite trying. I certainly wouldn't want to attempt to use one like that.

            We have had endless discussion of that seal and so far I haven't seen any thing that actually fixes the situation. As to that C 20 seal that stuck. Again some forms of rubber on vacuum pots, for what ever reason, can have a tendency to become sticky when hot and some just plain melt. I had a perfectly good looking cory one time that when heated the rubber melted and the thing stuck together big time. Not fun on a glass pot. Other such as Farberware used a rubber seal that easily gets overly soft on heating and will stick.

            Larry

> [...]
            > CoffeeMaster plug slips on and off more easily than others
            > I've tried.
            >
            > Good luck, Chris, and good coffee making.
            >

            > Cheers, Phil Warner
            >

            > ************ ****
            >

            > "I picked a C30a up at a garage sale about a week ago
            > but the pots were stuck together. I wrecked the seal trying
            > to get the pots apart. I decided to
            >
            > research this pot and really had no idea that these were
            > vacuum pots. What a concept! I've never heard of one of
            > these. I saw a beehive in action on youtube and I decided I
            > have to find one. Anyway, great group "
            >

            > "Hi Chris,
            >
            > If you have a sunbeam with the metal filter screen with
            > small holes then you don't need a filter. The 20 models
            > do have an advantage in that the rubber seal is usually not
            > bad in them. The filter rod also screws down in them to hold

          • Mike Avery
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
              The stickiness and/or melting is actually the rubber returning to it's natural state- becoming partially UN-vulcanized. This effect has something to do with the purity and mix of the materials used when it was manufactured and its reaction with ozone, UV radiation and other natural and chemical factors. Nothing you can do will stop it once it starts. Heating with anything hotter than boiling water may actually accelerate the melting. I've seen turntable belts and 8-track tape wheels completely return to liquid form.

              I've read the suggestions using automotive chemicals to soften rubber seals, using automatic transmission stop-leak. Yes, this does work on partially hardened rubber- at a price. It works by partially breaking down the rubber, causing it to swell in the process. This now resoftened rubber will seal, but the swelling causes it to wear away VERY quickly and you then have massive leakage that can't be stopped with another dose of stop-leak. So, Stop-leak was never meant to be a permanent repair, but fails to mention this on the bottle. Is Stop-leak safe to use on vacpot seals? Not if you want to actually DRINK what comes out of the pot. I would try it on one to be used as a decoration only. Ingesting petroleum products in this small of a quantity probably wouldn't even make you sick (ever siphon gas?), but the coffee would be horrible, at best.

              Mike Avery
              Louisville, KY

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
                Thank goodness most of us like finding and trying these pots, because one never knows what you have till you actually get it home and try it.

                Larry

                > The stickiness and/or melting is actually
                > the rubber returning to it's natural state- becoming
                > partially UN-vulcanized. This effect has something to do
                > with the purity and mix of the materials used when it was
                > manufactured and its reaction with ozone, UV radiation and
                > other natural and chemical factors. Nothing you can do will
                > stop it once it starts. Heating with anything hotter than
                > boiling water may actually accelerate the melting. I've
                > seen turntable belts and 8-track tape wheels completely
                > return to liquid form.
                >

                > I've read the suggestions using automotive chemicals to
                > soften rubber seals, using automatic transmission stop-leak.
                > Yes, this does work on partially hardened rubber- at a
                > price. It works by partially breaking down the rubber,
                > causing it to swell in the process. This now resoftened
                > rubber will seal, but the swelling causes it to wear away
                > VERY quickly and you then have massive leakage that
                > can't be stopped with another dose of stop-leak. So,
                > Stop-leak was never meant to be a permanent repair, but
                > fails to mention this on the bottle. Is Stop-leak safe to
                > use on vacpot seals? Not if you want to actually DRINK what
                > comes out of the pot. I would try it on one to be used as a
                > decoration only. Ingesting petroleum products in this small
                > of a quantity probably wouldn't even make you sick (ever
                > siphon gas?), but the coffee would be horrible, at best.
                >

                > Mike Avery
                >
                > Louisville, KY

              • Ron McCray
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
                  Hi Chris,

                  Our vacpot collection has at least one of each of the various
                  Sunbeam Coffeemaster vacpots. (That is: C20, C30, C30 "Beehive",
                  C40 and C50) We much prefer the C20 since it has a different
                  type of gasket and is not prone to the problems of gaskets on
                  the other models.

                  The C20 has a filter holder that extends clear down to the
                  bottom of the lower pot and is held there by actually screwing
                  into the bottom. This, therefore, holds the upper part quite
                  snugly to the lower part and always forms a seal without fail.
                  The seals we've seen on C20s have almost always been in fine
                  condition (maybe they used a better formula for the rubber as
                  this was the first in the line of Sunbeam's vacpot models). The
                  rubber gasket seems firmer than the others but you don't have
                  to shove them down into the lower part to get a seal.

                  You mentioned in one of your posts that you disliked the lack of
                  a handle on the top of the C20, but a good potholder enables one
                  to remove the hot upper part quite nicely.

                  The only real drawback of the C20 might be the fact that (as
                  far as we know) one must use a cloth filter in the filter holder.
                  These can still be found on eBay from time to time...some have
                  even said you can cut a cloth filter from flannel cloth and use
                  it. We always thoroughly wash our cloth filters in baking soda
                  water and air-dry them. We get many uses from a single cloth
                  filter.

                  So there you have it. We prefer the C20 over all the others.
                  By the way, the "Beehive" model is just a C30 with the glass top
                  and it has the very troublesome rubber gasket that all C30s have.
                  (Fortunately, our "Beehive" has a gasket in excellent condition.)
                • seavandal91203
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                    Hi all. I'm a first time vacpot owner! Ebay provided me with my coffee
                    pot fix today. C30a. The lady ran it through the brewing cycle with
                    water for me and said that it worked fine. The unit has a filter that
                    comes with it (cloth? paper?). Overall, it looks good. Total with
                    shipping is about $25. Sweet! I was searching online for filter info
                    for the c30 and someone suggested that one could use a "Bodum French
                    Press replacement filter". I would have to cut it to fit but no more
                    cloth or paper filter needed. I did come across another c30 that had a
                    metal filter with holes in it. I wanted to know if they are
                    interchangeable with the paper filter spring-loaded device that mine
                    will come with. I'd rather not deal with the paper or cloth filters if
                    possible. On the other hand, setting up these coffee makers to make a
                    cup of Joe is half the fun! I think the all-glass type vacpots look
                    interesting since you can watch the brewing action as it does its
                    thing. Should I get one with a burner or will my gas stove work? I did
                    see a Cory electric on eBay. A little pricy for me. Thanks for all the
                    information that you all have provided me. I think this may be the
                    first of many vacpots that I will have to acquire. Chris
                  • Dave Leonard
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                      I have both the metal screen and cloth filter for the Sunbeams. I think the mounting rod/handles are a bit different, but the entire units are interchangeable. I prefer the screens, as they are less of a bother. Both work fine.

                      I use my glass vac brewer on my gas stove top.

                      Dave

                      seavandal91203 <seavandal@...> wrote: Hi all. I'm a first time vacpot owner! Ebay provided me with my coffee

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                        Chris,

                        Welcome to the addicting world of coffee pot collecting.

                        If it were me I would aim for a glass set next. On gas you fine, just don't use it on electric without a diffuser. With glass you can time the coffee to suit your self, plus enjoy watching the brew.

                        I would go for the metal filter also, less trouble to deal with. In the meantime however any paper round cup type filter can just be traced round and cut to form a circle a bit larger than the metal outside circle of the part you have. You can just poke a hole in the center to go over the stem, I think it goes through the center? Been a while since I used that style. If you use paper you will have to change it each time. Cloth can be washed but my personnel experience has been that the filter quickly taints the coffee to my taste.

                        Larry

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                          Larry,

                          I'll have to try a paper filter on my Sunbeam filter holder. Do you know if this filters out flavor oils like paper can do with a drip brewer?

                          Dave

                          Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote: Chris,

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                            I would think the result would be the same.