Additional Photos in Mail Order Catalogs.

  • larry hollenberg
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14, 2008
      Hi all,

      Recently discussed with Nancy some of the Glass Coffee pots by silex that are from the world
      war II era. I have a copy of the Sears Fall and Winter for 1944 - 45. It has several pages I
      thought might be of interest to some of our Glass Coffee Pot Collectors and other glass
      items. One page shows the line of Name Brand Cory, Silex and Vaculator pots offered. Of
      interest is the two Silex pots in the ribbed glass bodies, one a drip and one a perk. I believe
      several of you own them. I would like too. Then I put on a close up of just that section. On
      another page is the Flamex selection of sears glass cookware. I only put up one of the two
      pages. It shows the percolator, Drip coffee maker and tea pot, some of which I have not seen
      around.

      Hope you will find them of interest as historical documents. Remember for those new that to
      access these pages in the largest format you must go into the photo album link on the home
      page, then click on the Mail Order Catalog album, select "Large" as your viewing choice for
      easiest reading.

      Larry
    • nancy curtis
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 15, 2008
        Hi Larry......
        I have several of the McKee FLAMEX coffee pots......I have a double glass drip pot and two or three perk pots. I will try to remember to get them out....take pictures and email you the pictures. You can add them to our pictures for me, if you like. That is one task I still need to learn to do. I also have the 12" FLAMEX glass chicken fryer, the smaller glass fry pan, the double boiler and a saucepan in that line. Neat, neat old kitchen pieces.
        Nancy C.
        East Texas

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15, 2008
          Nancy,

          The second page I didn't print is of etched glass pieces of Flamex. No coffee pots on that page but roasters and other pieces, if you interested I could put it up also? Do you have the flamex drip pot shown? Its a rather odd looking pot I don't recall seeing so far.

        • nancy curtis
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15, 2008
            Hi Larry......
            I have both of the ribbed Silex pots, one drip, one perk, shown on the second page.......and I have ALL of the pieces in all three pictures of the third set of pictures.....the Flamex pieces. I don't believe I have ever seen any actual "etched" Flamex although they made a set of kitchen glassware pieces for the Maid Of Honor Sear's line that is "embossed" with Hibiscus flowers and leaves. It took many over 20 years to find out what the flower is and what the line was called. I have almost every piece that was made in that line as well. If you have time to post the other pages you have, I would love to see them so I can see if they are what I have or not......thanks!
            Nancy C.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
              Hi Nancy,

              I probably don't know how to describe the pattern. Its probably as you describe it. I will get that page and if time permits I will add a few more catalog glass pages over the next few days to that album for yours and others reference.

            • nancy curtis
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
                Thanks, Larry, that would be great. I look forward to seeing what them.

                The flower design on the Maid of Honor Flamex pieces have been guessed
                at for years. When I first saw a custard cup, that had belonged to my Grandmother
                Beaufford (she was long gone and the cup was in my parent's home), I thought it was
                probably THE most beautiful custard cup I had ever seen. That custard cup is what
                eventually got me started on my search to find out what it was, who made it and
                what the pattern was called. That has to have been in the 70's. It was not until about
                1995, when I had seen other pieces of this pattern that were VERY expensive in an
                antique mall that I started earnestly looking for it. Then, lo and behold, I bought a book
                from another collector friend who lives in Washington state that has several pages of
                Flamex pieces including the whole line of the Maid of Honor pieces with the flower
                design made for Sears in the 40's.

                The book is called, "The Miracle in Grandmother's
                Kitchen", 1980, by Glyndon Shirley. The book is all about the advent of kitchen glass
                vs. the use of pottery casseroles and other cooking pieces. The book appears on ebay
                occasionally and if you like Pyrex, McKee Glasbake or Flamex, it is well worth getting.
                There is a small amount of information on Fire King but not as much. There are a number
                of pages that show actual Sear's catalog pages from the 30's and 40's. Those pages showing
                the Maid Of Honor "Hibiscus" line is what I used as my reference in looking for pieces in this
                pattern.

                Matt Hargreaves is the one who actually discovered reference to the flower being
                a hibiscus in old McKee paperwork. I thought for many years that it was a Texas wild flower, a wild rose that
                grows along the Texas highways in spring and summer.....or that it might be an apple
                blossom or a dogwood flower. I honestly believe that it is THE most beautiful of oven glass patterns. It is an
                embossed pattern added during the molding process. I do have many pieces of engraved/etched Pyrex that
                have beautiful designs that were added by a glass wheel-cutter after the pieces were molded too. Engraved
                Pyrex was made mostly from about 1917 to the mid-1940's with the exception of plain pieces that people
                bought and took themselves to independent jewelery shops, mainly in the Corning area, to have engraved
                special order. I sure wish we could still do that.

                The only bad thing about the Flamex Maid of Honor "Hibiscus" pieces is that although it is beautiful and
                oven glass, it is not that oven stable at temperatures over 350 to 375 F. I had the bottom of a roaster crack
                right in half in the oven once. It was filled with bite size pieces of chicken and cut up fresh vegetables at the
                time so I really thought
                it would be ok. But, it wasn't. I heard a loud "POP" that came from my oven and when I opened the
                oven door to look, found my beautiful pan cracked right in half cross-wise. I was not happy but I learned
                a lesson from that breakage......I don't actually use my McKee Maid of Honor "Hibiscus" pieces any more
                nor do I use my other Flamex pieces, like the chicken fryers, skillets, double boilers or saucepans.
                Most of them were in the $35 to $60 range, plus that darn expensive shipping, so I don't want to take a chance
                on losing any more of them.

                I am most interested to see what the other catalog pages you have show on Flamex. I have always wondered exactly
                how many Flamex lines were made......I know of at least 3 patterns.
                Thanks again, Larry,
                Nancy C.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
                  Nancy,

                  I added the missing page from the 1944 - 45 catalog. It would have solved your pattern name years ago, the Hibiscus name is right in the description of the glassware. I am looking to see what other catalogs might have a different selection, if I find them I will add some. I will check the Montgomery Ward and Spiegel books.

                  Larry

> [...]
                  > my McKee Maid of Honor "Hibiscus" pieces any more
                  > nor do I use my other Flamex pieces, like the chicken
                  > fryers, skillets, double boilers or saucepans.
                  > Most of them were in the $35 to $60 range, plus that darn
                  > expensive shipping, so I don't want to take a chance
                  > on losing any more of them.
                  >
                  > I am most interested to see what the other catalog pages
                  > you have show on Flamex. I have always wondered exactly
                  > how many Flamex lines were made......I know of at least 3
                  > patterns.
                  > Thanks again, Larry,
                  > Nancy C.
                  >

                  > Hi Nancy,
                  >
                  > I probably don't know how to describe the pattern.
                  > Its probably as you describe it. I will get that page and if
                  > time permits I will add a few more catalog glass pages over
                  > the next few days to that album for yours and others

                • nancy curtis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
                    Thanks, Larry.

                    It is very interesting to know the originating date of manufacture on the "Hibiscus" pieces. I had not seen that information before. The large rectangular roaster is one of the most beautiful glass roasters in my collection. I have probably 7 or 8 glass roasters. Most of the old glass roasters were much more unitarian in design.

                    In the picture titled: Sears 1930 Ovenware Glass, I have several of the McKee pieces that are shown with the wide optic rib on the last row. These pieces are VERY difficult to find. The last piece I bought on ebay, several years ago, was a square, covered casseole that arrived with the whole bottom of the casserole broken into bits....the lid was fine. I think I cried all afternoon.

                    These catalog pages you have are very much like the ones shown in, "The Miracle in Grandmother's Kitchen" but earlier.

                    Do you think I could talk you into actually copying these pages for me? I would love to have paper copies of these particular pages. I would be happy to reimburse you for the cost and to pay for the mailing.

                    Sears 1937 - 38 Glass Bakeware
                    Sears 1927 Glass Bakeware
                    War era Sears 1944 - 45
                    War era Sears, Silex Drip an Vacuum
                    War era Sears Flamex Glassware
                    Sears Hibiscus 1922 - 45 Glass Flamex
                    Sears Glassware 1942

                    These are great. I have never seen anything on the Silex blue glass ribbed pots in print other than what is in the Gene Florence book....and there are pictures of more of the wide optic ribbed McKee pieces too.
                    Nancy C.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
                      Hi Nancy,

                      I got interrupted in my listing work and have some more to look at when I get a chance.. Glad to hear you find them of interest. I will contact you about the print outs of the pages.. I sort of figured you might want them. It is something I will have to work at with the computer to see if I can send it or have to mail it. More later.

                    • nancy curtis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
                        Thanks so much, Larry.
                        Nancy
                        I got interrupted in my listing work and have some more to look at when I get a chance.. Glad to hear you find them of interest. I will contact you about the print outs of the pages.. I sort of figured you might want them. It is something I will have to work at with the computer to see if I can send it or have to mail it. More later.

                        Larry

                        > It is very interesting to know the originating date of
                        > manufacture on the "Hibiscus" pieces. I had not
                        > seen that information before. The large rectangular
                        > roaster is one of the most beautiful glass roasters in my
                        > collection. I have probably 7 or 8 glass roasters. Most
                        > of the old glass roasters were much more unitarian in
                        > design.
                        >
                        > In the picture titled: Sears 1930 Ovenware Glass, I have
                        > several of the McKee pieces that are shown with the wide
                        > optic rib on the last row. These pieces are VERY difficult
                        > to find. The last piece I bought on ebay, several years
                        > ago, was a square, covered casseole that arrived with the
                        > whole bottom of the casserole broken into bits....the lid
                        > was fine. I think I cried all afternoon.
                        >
                        > These catalog pages you have are very much like the ones
                        > shown in, "The Miracle in Grandmother's
                        > Kitchen" but earlier.
                        >
                        > Do you think I could talk you into actually copying these
                        > pages for me? I would love to have paper copies of these
                        > particular pages. I would be happy to reimburse you for
                        > the cost and to pay for the mailing.
                        >
                        > Sears 1937 - 38 Glass Bakeware
                        > Sears 1927 Glass Bakeware
                        > War era Sears 1944 - 45
                        > War era Sears, Silex Drip an Vacuum
                        > War era Sears Flamex Glassware
                        > Sears Hibiscus 1922 - 45 Glass Flamex
                        > Sears Glassware 1942
                        >
                        > These are great. I have never seen anything on the Silex
                        > blue glass ribbed pots in print other than what is in the
                        > Gene Florence book....and there are pictures of more of the
                        > wide optic ribbed McKee pieces too.
                        > Nancy C.

                      • lobsterboy582000
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 17, 2008
                          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "larry hollenberg"
                          <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > Recently discussed with Nancy some of the Glass Coffee pots by silex
                          that are from the world
                          > war II era. I have a copy of the Sears Fall and Winter for 1944 -
                          45. It has several pages

                          Thanks for sending up the pics of the catalog pages-
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 17, 2008
                            I see last night in looking that some of those larger pages while giving the idea of what is available when, doesn't allow for reading the print which I hate! You would think the scan would at least be readable but somehow on larger pages isn't with small print. If anyone wants a closer look at some of the items listed let me know and I will rescan in smaller sections the part you want to read.

                            Larry