Silex two-cup Dripolator info?

  • lobsterboy582000
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 8, 2008
      I have one of the small two-cup Silex dripolators, the ribbed bluish
      glass, (sadly without the 'grounds spreader' insert that looks like a
      glass asterisk.)

      I haven't been able to find any details of date of manufacture or other
      info on these.

      Can anyone fill in the blanks for me?

      Thanks
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 8, 2008
        The Silex "Two-Cupper" was produced during the years of
        rationing during WWII. We have copies of advertizing by
        Silex that suggests that use of this little drip coffee
        maker would enable one to stretch the coffee ration one
        had to live with during the war. So it dates back to the
        early to mid-1940s.

        The little glass insert and the cloth coffee filters are
        good to have from the collectible standpoint (we have
        them and the printed instructions), but are not so practical
        for actually brewing coffee. We use a little #2 paper cone coffee
        filter gently pressed into place when brewing coffee with
        the 2-cupper and it works just fine!
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 8, 2008
          I believe these are "Fire King Glass"? Haven't checked how they are doing recently, but they used to demand a premium price.

          Larry

          > The Silex "Two-Cupper" was produced during the
          > years of
          > rationing during WWII. We have copies of advertizing by
          > Silex that suggests that use of this little drip coffee
          > maker would enable one to stretch the coffee ration one
          > had to live with during the war. So it dates back to the
          > early to mid-1940s.
          >
          > The little glass insert and the cloth coffee filters are
          > good to have from the collectible standpoint (we have
          > them and the printed instructions), but are not so
          > practical
          > for actually brewing coffee. We use a little #2 paper cone
          > coffee
          > filter gently pressed into place when brewing coffee with
          > the 2-cupper and it works just fine!
        • nancy curtis
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 8, 2008
            I don't know for sure when manufacture started, or ended, on the little Silex "Two Cuppers" but I had an original magazine ad that was dated in the early 40's that showed this cute little drip pot. The ad was actually for a Silex electric iron announcing that the iron would not be available until after WW II was over but that you could still buy the little Silex "Two Cupper". I have one that is complete including the glass filter, the original paper instructions and a cloth filter but I don't use it. The one I use doesn't have the glass filter so I just put a No. 4 Melitta filter down into the upper chamber and put my ground coffee in it and then pour in the boiling water. I usually make one and a half cups of coffee in mine.

            They are also shown in Gene Florence's copies of "Kitchen Glassware of the Depression Years"........the only thing is Gene Florence has been known to be incorrect with some of his information about some items in his books. Information on manufacture dates, like where he states that Pyrex was first introduced in 1917 in one book is totally incorrect.....it was introduced in May of 1915 at the Jordan Marsh Department Store in Boston, Mass....12 pieces made up the original number of different pieces available ( I have one example of each of the original 12 pieces in my collection)........and he also has other mistakes in most of the editions of this book. But, just from the fact that it is a glass coffee pot, I would guess WW II to be the correct era. I have also seen the actual maker and glass to be attributed to Anchor Hocking's Fire King line but I think that has not been proven a fact....but, I could be wrong on that.

            NancyHank/Nancy C.
            East Texas

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 8, 2008
              In the early days of ebay, you could get one for a decent enough price.....I have bought them anywhere from $8 to $20.00. Then the Japanese buyers really got interested in them......that is when I sold one of mine for $125.00 to a lady in Japan......that was a good profit. I have two now, use the one that is just the top and bottom pieces and display the complete one that has the glass filter, the original instruction booklet and the original cloth filter.....that one is my favorite. I have not done an ebay search for one on ebay in at least a years so don't know what they are selling for now.

              I have always heard that people "THINK" that they were made by Anchor Hocking for the Fire King line but I have never seen any definitive proof of it. I also have two of the larger, blue glass depression coffee pots.....one has a glass perk assembly and my other has the plain glass drip assembly. I also have a copy of the original paperwork and a cloth filter that can be used. These babies are worth so much that I have never used one although I would dearly love too. It took me years to find them on ebay and then I was lucky that they were missed by most other collectors. They have white bakelite handles on the bottom pot and a beautiful blue, ribbed glass lid. They are two of my neatest glass coffee pots.
              NancyHank/Nancy C.
              East Texas

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <stebchem@...>
                wrote:

                > The Silex "Two-Cupper" was produced during the years of
                > rationing during WWII. > early to mid-1940s.
                >
                > The little glass insert and the cloth coffee filters are
                > good to have from the collectible standpoint (we have
                > them and the printed instructions), but are not so practical
                > for actually brewing coffee.>

                Thank you. I had thought it was produced earlier. I would like to find
                the glass insert, but I will try using it as you describe.
              • lobsterboy582000
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg
                  <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                  > I believe these are "Fire King Glass"? Haven't checked how they are
                  doing recently, but they used to demand a premium price.

                  > Larry

                  I did read some references of the glass being 'Fire King" glass
                  produced by Anchor Hocking from '42 to ? The sapphire blue ovenware was
                  a popular line. Apparently the glass was produced by A.H. for Silex?

                  There have been a few lately on Ebay. I picked up a perfect one for a
                  good price, I've seen them go recently for $33-$44.
                • nancy curtis
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                    The production MAY have started in the late 30's.......I can only document from the war years.
                    Nancy C.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "nancy curtis"
                      <nancihank@...> wrote:

                      > In the early days of ebay, you could get one for a decent enough
                      price.....I have bought them anywhere from $8 to $20.00. Then the
                      Japanese buyers really got interested in them......that is when I
                      sold one of mine for $125.00 to a lady in Japan.

                      Just as you say, while I was looking for images of the complete
                      dripolator (I knew there was a glass part for the inside) I saw a few
                      of them listed on japanese kitchen collectible websites.

                      > I have always heard that people "THINK" that they were made by
                      Anchor Hocking for the Fire King line but I have never seen any
                      definitive proof of it.

                      That's what I was trying to figure out, I had those references also.

                      > I also have two of the larger, blue glass depression coffee
                      pots.....one has a glass perk assembly and my other has the plain
                      glass drip assembly. I also have a copy of the original paperwork
                      and a cloth filter that can be used. These babies are worth so much
                      that I have never used one although I would dearly love too. It
                      took me years to find them on ebay and then I was lucky that they
                      were missed by most other collectors. They have white bakelite
                      handles on the bottom pot and a beautiful blue, ribbed glass lid.
                      They are two of my neatest glass coffee pots.
                      > NancyHank/Nancy C.
                      > East Texas

                      There is one as you describe on Ebay right now, item # 370084748898.
                      Looks like it might go for good money.
                    • lobsterboy582000
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                        <nancihank@...> wrote:

                        > I don't know for sure when manufacture started, or ended, on the
                        little Silex "Two Cuppers" but I had an original magazine ad that was
                        dated in the early 40's that showed this cute little drip pot. The
                        ad was actually for a Silex electric iron announcing that the iron
                        would not be available until after WW II was over but that you could
                        still buy the little Silex "Two Cupper". I have one that is
                        complete including the glass filter, the original paper instructions
                        and a cloth filter but I don't use it. The one I use doesn't have
                        the glass filter so I just put a No. 4 Melitta filter down into the
                        upper chamber and put my ground coffee in it and then pour in the
                        boiling water. I usually make one and a half cups of coffee in mine.

                        Thanks. good to know it works without the insert.

                        > They are also shown in Gene Florence's copies of "Kitchen Glassware
                        of the Depression Years"........the only thing is Gene Florence has
                        been known to be incorrect with some of his information about some
                        items in his books. Information on manufacture dates, like where he
                        states that Pyrex was first introduced in 1917 in one book is totally
                        incorrect.....it was introduced in May of 1915 at the Jordan Marsh
                        Department Store in Boston, Mass

                        I found the date of 1915 also; 'Pyrex' a low-expansion glass
                        developed for railroad lamps that needed to withstand extremes of
                        hot/cold. The name was apparently made up of the previously decided
                        on suffix 'ex', with 'Py' for the glass pie plates they produced with
                        the added 'r' for the alliterative effect.

                        I have also seen the actual maker and glass to be attributed to
                        Anchor Hocking's Fire King line but I think that has not been proven
                        a fact....but, I could be wrong on that.

                        I had read that too, but nothing definitive.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                          Nancy, all,

                          I don't know how accurate it may be, but in my Anchor Hocking's Fire King Glasware, volume II, by Garry, Dale Kilgo and Jerry, Gail Williams it shows the Silex Drip, Coffee with/Dripolator 2 Cup on the page with Sapphire Blue Ovenwear.

                          That may not be the last word, but it was what I was referencing.

                          Larry

                          > The production MAY have started in the late 30's.......I
                          > can only document from the war years.
                          > Nancy C.
                          >

                          > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
                          > "Ron" <stebchem@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > The Silex "Two-Cupper" was produced during
                          > the years of
                          > > rationing during WWII. > early to mid-1940s.
                          > >
                          > > The little glass insert and the cloth coffee filters
                          > are
                          > > good to have from the collectible standpoint (we
                          > have
                          > > them and the printed instructions), but are not so
                          > practical
                          > > for actually brewing coffee.>
                          >
                          > Thank you. I had thought it was produced earlier. I would
                          > like to find
                          > the glass insert, but I will try using it as you
                          > describe.

                        • nancy curtis
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                            Auction number 370084748898 on ebay is exactly like the two pots I have.
                            I have put it in my watch list to see what the ending bid will be. I have seen them
                            go for as high as $250 to $300.00. Thanks for pointing it out.
                            NancyHank/Nancy C.

                            There is one as you describe on Ebay right now, item # 370084748898.
                            Looks like it might go for good money.

                            > I also have two of the larger, blue glass depression coffee
                            pots.....one has a glass perk assembly and my other has the plain
                            glass drip assembly. I also have a copy of the original paperwork
                            and a cloth filter that can be used. These babies are worth so much
                            that I have never used one although I would dearly love too. It
                            took me years to find them on ebay and then I was lucky that they
                            were missed by most other collectors. They have white bakelite
                            handles on the bottom pot and a beautiful blue, ribbed glass lid.
                            They are two of my neatest glass coffee pots.
                            > NancyHank/Nancy C.
                            > East Texas

                          • nancy curtis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                              Yes, I have seen reference to it there and in other books as well but have not heard of
                              anyone finding actual vintage paperwork or files from Anchor Hocking on whether or
                              not they actually made the Silex pots. When vac pots were all the rage, as far as I
                              understand it, Corning Glass Works made most of the glass coffee pots for Silex....and you
                              can see the "Pyrex" acid mark on them as well as the Silex stamp but I have never seen the Pyrex mark on
                              any of these Silex, ribbed, blue glass pots. I surely do wish that we had access to all
                              of the old, old files and paperwork on these pots but I guess we will be guessing forever.
                              If Matt Hargreaves has not been able to find out this information, then I don't think it is out
                              there for us to find......darn it.
                              Nancy C.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                                Nancy,

                                Gee, it would seem that someone might still be alive that worked for Fire King in that era? Or shortly there after which surely would have had some kind of files pertaining to them then. Granted they would be quite old by now but a few old timers exist in some fields.

                                Do none of the ads for them I see referenced have any clue as to what company made them?

                                Larry

                                > Yes, I have seen reference to it there and in other books as
                                > well but have not heard of
                                > anyone finding actual vintage paperwork or files from
                                > Anchor Hocking on whether or
                                > not they actually made the Silex pots. When vac pots were
                                > all the rage, as far as I
                                > understand it, Corning Glass Works made most of the glass
                                > coffee pots for Silex....and you
                                > can see the "Pyrex" acid mark on them as well as
                                > the Silex stamp but I have never seen the Pyrex mark on
                                > any of these Silex, ribbed, blue glass pots. I surely do
                                > wish that we had access to all
                                > of the old, old files and paperwork on these pots but I
                                > guess we will be guessing forever.
                                > If Matt Hargreaves has not been able to find out this
                                > information, then I don't think it is out
                                > there for us to find......darn it.
                                > Nancy C.
                                >

                                > Nancy, all,
                                >
                                > I don't know how accurate it may be, but in my Anchor
                                > Hocking's Fire King Glasware, volume II, by Garry, Dale
                                > Kilgo and Jerry, Gail Williams it shows the Silex Drip,
                                > Coffee with/Dripolator 2 Cup on the page with Sapphire Blue
                                > Ovenwear.
                                >
                                > That may not be the last word, but it was what I was
                                > referencing.
                                >
                                > Larry
                                >
                                > --- On Tue, 9/9/08, nancy curtis
                                > <nancihank@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > From: nancy curtis <nancihank@...>
                                > > Subject: Re: [vacpot] Re: Silex two-cup Dripolator
                                > info
                                > > To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
                                > > Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 11:39 AM
                                > > The production MAY have started in the late
                                > 30's.......I
                                > > can only document from the war years.
                                > > Nancy C.
                                > >

                                > > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com,
                                > > "Ron" <stebchem@...>
                                > > wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > The Silex "Two-Cupper" was produced
                                > during
                                > > the years of
                                > > > rationing during WWII. > early to mid-1940s.
                                > > >
                                > > > The little glass insert and the cloth coffee
                                > filters
                                > > are
                                > > > good to have from the collectible standpoint
                                > (we
                                > > have
                                > > > them and the printed instructions), but are not
                                > so
                                > > practical
                                > > > for actually brewing coffee.>
                                > >
                                > > Thank you. I had thought it was produced earlier. I
                                > would
                                > > like to find
                                > > the glass insert, but I will try using it as you
                                > > describe.

                                > removed]

                              • nancy curtis