Re: Some coffees better with different brewing methods?

  • Hurdy-gurdy man
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2008
      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "larry hollenberg"
      <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

      > HI Everyone,
      >
      > Happy Fourth of July to all! Hope it isn't gloomy and cold and
      rainy where you are? Must
      > be global warming I guess?
      >
      > Anyway, I was having some off line discussions recently and one of
      the things we
      > mentioned is that usually at least I was not a fan of perked coffee.
      But recently several
      > pots I have purchased which I have mentioned, the footed Universal
      type and the Glass
      > Pyrex early pot have been producing a very good rich cup of coffee
      when done with
      > everything just right.. Hot water to start, enough grounds to make
      it flavorful and a nice
      > very slow perk without any sign of boiling in the lower unit.
      >
      > In fact I am curious if any of you have found Certain coffees that
      will make a very tasty cup
      > by say the Vacuum method, but not so hot other ways. What might
      they be? I have over
      > the past years tried about every kind of coffee that is offered
      around me here, both bean
      > and ground. The most recent revelation happened because I didn't
      care for this coffee I
      > will mention, and was using it basically to experiment with the new
      pots. I had read
      > somewhere that Dunkin Donuts coffee was rated the best cup of fast
      serve type coffee
      > shops. So when wally world was seen to offer it, I bought some. I
      first tired it in the drip
      > pots I had. Very strange flavor I thought, didn't much like it..
      Also tried the vacuum pot
      > with similar results. That then is what prompted me when I saw the
      bag mostly full in the
      > refrigerator to try it in the perks I was playing with presently.
      The first try was
      > encouraging, that odd flavor was pretty much gone.. A tad weak
      though it seemed. So I
      > upped the grounds and perked nice and slow. Wow, a very nice
      tasting coffee and no
      > strange flavor to be detected. Had you told me that would happen, I
      wouldn't have
      > believed it.. So today I again tried the drip pot just to be sure.
      I upped the grounds again,
      > and ugh! Same poor taste with odd flavor... So one for the perk
      method in this case.

      > Another coffee that I had wonderful results with about once was
      Choc-full-o nuts from
      > NY. One time I had company and used the silex narrow mouth pot and
      it sort of stayed up
      > a bit too long due to leaving it on the old silex stove to return on
      its own.. Everyone
      > including my self raved about the great body and taste.. I spent
      lots of wasted time trying
      > to duplicate that experience? I recently purchased another can of
      it to try in the perk, not
      > bad, but not the effect the vac pot had created way back..
      >
      > Anyone else have coffee tales to tell?
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > NY.

      For some reason, I posted a reply to this on the wrong thread. I'll
      post it again below. Please try and ignore my previous post.

      I have a collection of coffee pots and have used them all. I have a
      glass stove-top percolator that has made some very good brew. I also
      have a 12 cup glass Proctor-Silex electric perc that can make very
      good coffee. Both of these percolators seem to do better with typical
      caned coffee, like Maxwell House or Folgers, than my vac brewers
      usually do. I have also used many drip makers through the years. I've
      had two Bunns that have made decent coffee but not outstanding coffee.
      I finally put them in the attic for storage. I used to have a small
      Norelco four cup drip maker that did even better than the Bunns. Wish
      I'd have kept it. However, the best coffee consistently comes from my
      vacuum brewers. I have a three Sunbeam Coffeemasters, including one
      with a broken burner which I removed and converted to a stove-top
      (works great). I recently gave a friend my old Cory (I think it was
      Cory) stainless stove-top vac pot. I also have a glass vac pot (Cafex
      bottom and Silex top-long story) and both a 5-cup and 12-cup Bodum
      electric vac brewers. All of them make excellent coffee. I've been
      mostly using the 12-cup Bodum these days for convenience, as I don't
      have to sit and watch it like a stove-top unit. It makes a wonderful
      brew that is similar to the others I have (all are a bit different,
      but mostly very similar).

      BTW, I roast my own beans these day and get the green beans online.
      The results are far better than what I can buy locally.

      I'll probably continue with my 20 year love affair with vacuum
      brewers, but will wander astray occasionally to test the grass on the
      other side of the fence. ;)

      Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2008
        Yes, I agree that part of the fun for me is trying a new pot, no matter what the type, and trying a coffee I haven't had at least recently. I guess I just love to collect and try things.. Once I am "over it", I usually end up parting with things. If I didn't my little farm home would be totally over run with them.. (and where would all the records go?). I have found some of the new Folgers coffee in bags to be quite good. And I also have problems when I grind coffee of it not doing as well from one type of pot to another. It seems the ground coffee takes less actual spoons full than what I would grind myself. I am just guessing, but I thought that perhaps the reason was that the pre ground coffee settles and packs some in shipping where the newly ground is looser thus needing more..I may be all wet on that one?

        Larry