Everything Old is NEW again!

  • andiesenji
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2008
      I happened on to my local PBS channel a few days ago while Huell Hauser was visiting this
      place:
      http://www.lamillcoffee.com/gourmet-coffee-gourmet-tea/experience/lamill-coffee-
      boutique-silverlake/menus/

      The manager or owner, was showing an "ancient Japanese method of coffee brewing" in a
      coffee siphon, brewing it right at the customer's table with a bunsen burner to heat the
      lower chamber.

      Huell was amazed at the brewing process and the store person was really laying it on thick.

      I almost fell over laughing. I felt like dropping a note to Huell and telling him that his
      mom or grandmother probably had a Silex or similar coffee brewer in her kitchen, possibly
      when he was a child.

      The place is in the Silver Lake district in the city so it is too far for me to make a casual
      visit. However, I would love to drop in with some pictures of my collection of siphon
      brewers that were really common in the 30s, 40s and even into the 50s.

      Andie