Re: [vacpot] Photo of pyrex crack or stress?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29 10:48 AM
      Judy,

      Don't do it!!! I loaned a nice silex to my neighbor when I first got into this collecting and she has a smooth top electric range. It cracked right in the middle of making the first pot of coffee! I wouldn't try anything without the deflector in place.. I hate to tell you, but about four times I recall off the top of my head I had my silex stoves to cause a bottom to crack.. Several that did were other brands and may have been too wide. Someone here told me then that if the pot comes in contact with the hot metal around the burner it can cause it to overheat and break. But I had a perfectly good silex that was not too big for the stove to crack one day when I had used it without problems for a year or more. So electric stoves can be a real mystery and enemy of glass pots it seems.

      I was surprised at this last one since I had no other issues so far with Pyrex on this stove and the design is the same idea as the stove burners.
      I think for simply perking I may look into a nice old alcohol stove made for coffee pots or other cooking. NOw and then one shows up on ebay. I have a full oil range which will work, but is a bit harder to adjust. My old alcohol Universal percolators with small burners under them do the finest job of slow perking I have ever witnessed. The other closest thing to it was that hot plate I broke this last pot with. I am still tempted to think as Nancy mentioned here or off line, that it may have had a stress previously that could have caused it to let go under heat. I drove for an hour and a half to pick up the second pot like it the guy had for 5.00. The cheapest thing I saw on ebay was way beyond that and shipping was about the price of my gas.. I am afraid to put it on the electric stove though now.. Why my other pyrex pieces don't break on it I don't know unless there is some difference in the construction of the latter glass that made it less
      prone to this?

      Larry

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29 12:03 PM
        Ok, Judy........I would sure go with Larry's knowledge and advice concering the vac pots and the glass top range.....he has the voice of experience on it. Thanks, Larry!
        NancyHank/Nancy C.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29 12:21 PM
          You can also get small propane stoves at the hardware store or a camping gear outfitter, I have the two burner variety which is larger, but I am pretty sure they also come in the 1 burner variety. You just screw on a small propane cylinder, which is available at Walmart for very cheap, and lasts a long time. I think something like that would be great. Or, they also make accessory stoves with one gas burner that works on a small canister, they are a bit more fancy. I see them sold on ebay, but you can buy them new. They are a bit more expensive than the camping stoves, but they look a lot nicer. They are designed for at the table entertaining, when you actually want a gas burner to cook something right at your table (or keep it simmering), but you want an actual stove-style burner as opposed to a chafing-style or fondue-style alcohol flame burner. I've seen them in thrift stores and on ebay and they work well. I have one and it works well.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29 12:25 PM
            Hi Judy, the only kind of stove I am aware that is safe is a gas stove where the only heat source that will come into contact with the glass is a gas flame. But I would say if your Silex hot plate works, that is probably the best way to keep using it to keep your pot intact. Just my opinion.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29 12:29 PM
              Hi Larry, those are sad stories and I think you've shared a few with the group before. What I think is something we all may tend to forget is that that glass has a natural life expectancy and we are dealing with pots that have been heated and cooled a number of times, stressing them. Even under the best of care, no matter how good of care we give our pots, even if we buy them as New Old Stock, they are still old and as we use them (if we use them) there will inevitably be a point at which they will no longer be able to handle the normal rigors of heat expansion/cooling contraction...and they will be bound by laws of physics to crack/break unexpectedly. Unfortunately, that's just the nature of glass.

> [...]

              > the smooth, glass top ranges though.
              >
              > Of course, I have never had one of my glass stove top pots
              > crack or break when I have
              > used it on my 1950 "C" Model Chambers gas range.
              > My stove burners are built more
              > like the pre-1945 gas ranges and there is ample space
              > between the flame and the
              > bottom of the pots.....AND, I never use more than medium to
              > medium high flame on them.
              > NancyHank/Nancy C.
              > East Texas
              >

              > Hi Guys - I have been following the conversation about
              > the pyrex pots on electric stoves and I have another
              > question that sort of relates to that. When using a glass
              > Cory or Silex or Pyrex or whatever vacpot on a glasstop
              > stove do I need to use a wire heat deflector? I would like
              > to try it on the big rangetop, but hate to lose my Silex so
              > I just keep using the hot plate that fits it. THANKS! Judy

            • nancy curtis
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29 12:39 PM
                And, that is why I tend to look at rather than use most of my old kitchen glass anymore. Lessons heeded are lessons learned.
                NancyHank/Nancy C.

              • Jerold Dalton
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 29 1:18 PM
                  Hi Again - Thanks for the various insights about using my glass vacpot on a Corning range top. I guess I will opt for safety and either use the deflector or the little electric stove that fits the pot. Also I have another (but unrelated) question about vacpots. Recently at a rummage I purchased a Vaculator pot with a metal upper unit and a glass lower unit. The rubber gasket is very nice and pliable, but there was no filter or rod or anything with the upper unit. Does anybody know what that piece looks like or if something else can be substituted in order to use the pot? Thanks!! Judy

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 29 2:33 PM
                    Judy,

                    If you go into the photos section on the Home Page which you can access here on the side of this message if your computer puts the post though like mine does, you will see the photo link. In the albums is one called "Vacuum pot instructions" I had some parts of the vaculator brochure in there. It shows the filter on the cover page and I added the rest of the literature in the flyer so that it is now complete.
                    Hope it will help you to see what it is you need and how to use it.

                    Larry