Re: Instructions for GE Automatic Vacpot?

  • Bo Long
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2008
      Depress the red button then place the vacpot onto stove and let the
      weight of the vacpot slowly bear down on the metal magnet switch while
      you offer a bit of resistence to the button against your finger as it
      the button rises.
      This ensures that the magnet in the metal switch in the center of the
      burner connects thoroughly with the metal stopper in the bowl. On some
      of these GE auto stoves the magnet in the stove has become weak and
      won't sense the metal stopper and therefore won't switch to "high"
      heat. Placing a neodymium magnet on the metal sitch in the middle of
      the stove for say 6 hours or overnight will restrengthen the magnet.

      Bo Long

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <stebchem@...>
      wrote:

      > We just recently purchased a GE Automatic vacpot and
      > have now put it through a couple of trial runs with
      > just water. We have already learned that it's tricky
      > to get the hot plate into the brew mode...it seems
      > that you have to hold the red button down for a bit
      > and soon thereafter the coils glow red. We have
      > noticed that it takes about 9 minutes for the brewed
      > coffee to return to the lower pot...*much* longer than
      > we usually allow brewing.
      >
      > Anybody have much experience with this particular model
      > of vacpot? Better yet, does anybody have printed
      > instructions for it?

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , May 19, 2008
        Thanks, Bo, for the tips on operating the GE
        Automatic vacpot. We'll try the start-up
        technique you told us about next time we use
        that vacpot.

        Have you noted the very long brew time with
        the GE automatic? Once the brew time we desire
        has been reached, we just remove the coffee
        maker from the stove.

        If anybody has a copy of the original instructions,
        I'd sure like a copy.

        Ron
      • Bo Long
        Message 3 of 7 , May 19, 2008
          I do the same thing. There was no way that GE could really get the
          timing right with that hot stove still in play underneath, but it was
          a pretty amazing try.