New to the group

  • Kerry Soloway
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 20, 2008
      Hi All,

      I just discovered this group while looking for instructions on how to
      make coffee using the Sunbeam C30B, which I was given by a friend at
      church today. By no means am I new to vacuum coffee as I already have
      a Cory DRU/DRL and a Bodum Santos, but I was searching for specs such
      as amount of water and coffee to use.

      Vacuum coffee has been a passion of mine since purchasing my first
      system in 1972 while a college student. It was a Silex with hot plate
      and matching trivet and is now long gone.

      One of the great things about making vacuum coffee, aside from the
      taste, is demonstrating it's use to child and adult alike. It always
      makes me feel like Mr. Wizard. Of course, this isn't something that I
      will be able to do with my "new" Sunbeam.

      In an effort to teach others about vacuum coffee I produced an
      animation which I have posted on my web site. The link is:

      http://76.163.180.130/html/coffee.html

      I'd be interested in comments.

      Kerry
    • nancihank
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 20, 2008
        Welcome, Kerry......
        I love your video! I have a question for you.....are you a graphic
        designer?
        NancyHank
        East Texas

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 21, 2008
          Hi Nancy,

          Actually, no. I'm a video editor, DVD author and media streamer. Samples of
          my work can be seen on my web site:

          http://www.NightingaleEditorial.com

          I do a lot of work for PBS. Weekly, you can catch my handiwork on Consuelo
          Mack|WealthTrack. Intermittently, you may view such shows as "Il Divo: Live
          at the Greek" or "Rolling Stone: Voice of Our Generation."

          Glad to be aboard.

          Kerry

          On Jan 20, 2008 11:04 PM, nancihank <nancihank@...> wrote:

          > Welcome, Kerry......
          > I love your video! I have a question for you.....are you a graphic
          > designer?
          > NancyHank
          > East Texas
          >

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I just discovered this group while looking for instructions on how to
          > make coffee using the Sunbeam C30B, which I was given by a friend at
          > church today. By no means am I new to vacuum coffee as I already have
          > a Cory DRU/DRL and a Bodum Santos, but I was searching for specs such
          > as amount of water and coffee to use.
          >
          > Vacuum coffee has been a passion of mine since purchasing my first
          > system in 1972 while a college student. It was a Silex with hot plate
          > and matching trivet and is now long gone.
          >
          > One of the great things about making vacuum coffee, aside from the
          > taste, is demonstrating it's use to child and adult alike. It always
          > makes me feel like Mr. Wizard. Of course, this isn't something that I
          > will be able to do with my "new" Sunbeam.
          >
          > In an effort to teach others about vacuum coffee I produced an
          > animation which I have posted on my web site. The link is:
          >
          > http://76.163.180.130/html/coffee.html
          >
          > I'd be interested in comments.
          >
          > Kerry

          Kerry Soloway
          http://www.NightingaleEditorial.com
          201-247-4110
          ksoloway@...

        • nancihank
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
            The video I really liked was the vac pot "How To Make A Perfect Cup of Coffee" video....very informative for so many people who have never used a vac pot. You did a good job of explaining it.

            Your website is very interesting. I don't get to watch a lot of PBS but I used to when my kids were younger. I have a hard time even finding it on the satellite channel line up.....it is some number that is far off from the group I normally watch. I will have to find it again. Looks like you have had, and are having, a very interesting career....which I would imagine leads to an interesting life. That is always a good thing!!

            Amanda, our daughter, who is a talented graphic designer, has a website you might like to take a look at....it is:
            www.amandahenson.com She started designing websites at 12 and started drawing "real" pictures at age 3. She has videos, ads, magazine covers and pages....all kinds of neat things on her website. She is quite an amazing young woman...she just turned 24. I will be glad when she and her husband move home from Kansas....she is just too far from home.

            How long have you been collecting vacuum pots? I have sold a many of mine over the last couple of years....just ran out of room but I do love using one occasionally although I really perfer drip coffee. Vac pots are totally fascinating and I don't plan on selling the ones I have left. I also have quite a few vintage drip pots including two of the large depression glass, sapphire blue, lidded Fire King pots and one very unusual Glasbake pot that I have never seen in any book. I also have several McKee Flamex glass percolators and a unusual two chamber drip pot that is not seen often. I also have quite a few percolators, both glass and metal. I don't know why I am so drawn to coffee pots, but, there it is.....I love'em!

            Late, late.....better get to bed. I am so interested in your work....can't wait to see what I can find on PBS.
            Nancy

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
              Nancy

              I couldn't agree more. Something about a coffee pot
              just calls me to try it!

              Larry

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Kerry Soloway
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                Being new to the group, I hesitate going off-topic because I don't know how
                much of that is tollerated. So I'll e-mail you off-list with answers about
                my career. If it is of interest to others I am happy to share it here.

                However, getting to how long I've been collecting, I would have to say a
                short time, perhaps four years. If you were to ask how long I've been a fan
                of vacuum coffee, I would have to say over 35 years. Sometimes it's been
                like playing a game of Where's Waldo. There have been periods of time when I
                went "cold turkey", no vacuum coffee for lack of a pot.

                Let me start at the beginning. I grew up in New York City and went to
                college on Long Island.

                I was a student in college when my then-girlfriend and I saw this
                contraption at an antique store. It was a Silex that came with an electric
                hot plate and bakelite trivet that matched the handle of the carafe and
                siphon. I can still vividly remember that first cup of coffee. It tasted
                more like coffee ice cream, smooth and sweet, rather than the bitter sludge
                I was drinking in the cafeteria.

                I might digress and tell you that I grew up in a family that served strictly
                instant coffee. The only time I had brewed coffee was if we were
                entertaining. Then the percolator came out.

                Well, I didn't know it then but learned, as you all know, that the reason
                the coffee was so smooth was because the temperature of the water never
                reached the boiling point.

                I loved that coffee pot but ultimately lost it when we broke up. Several
                years later, when I lived in southern California, I found just the siphon
                and glass rod of a Cory coffee system. I purchased them and was able to
                locate a coffee pot that had a similar sized opening, and so I pieced
                together and made a serviceable system out of them. All was right with the
                world until I dropped the filter rod and it broke.

                Fortunately for me, a friend of mine was an engineer at Hughes Aircraft. He
                took the two halves to work with him one day, and was able to make a
                seamless repair on it. He also said that he baked the filter rod for a
                period of time to eliminate any internal stresses that might make it
                predisposed to any future breakage.

                Ultimately I left California and the pot was lost during the move.

                Several years later, I was telling the story of my first vacuum coffee pot
                to a client. It was before the age of the internet and as I had not seen a
                vacuum coffee pot in many years, I simply thought that they were no longer
                manufactured. That Christmas, in the mid-1980's, I received a package in the
                mail. It was from the same client and was a Bodum Santos. Oh joy, oh
                rapture. Vacuum coffee once again. Not only was it great getting the pot,
                but knowing that it was still available should the unthinkable happen.

                When the unthinkable happened and it broke. But, by now, I had found another
                one at a yard sale, completely unused because the owner couldn't figure out
                how it worked. That was the best $6 I ever spent. I believe that I'm still
                using that one now.

                Over the years I have demonstrated the making of vacuum coffee to countless
                individuals. One couple, the parents of my youngest daughters boyfriend at
                the time, found a Cory DRU/DRL at a yard sale and purchased that for us. It
                is in excellent shape except for the gasket which is a bit on the stiff
                side. Still I can manage to get a decent seal and I make coffee with it
                often.

                Once again, I was describing vacuum coffee to a friend from church, and was
                told that he has one of those things and just can't get it to work. This
                weekend he gave it to me, so I now have the third pot in my budding
                collection. This one an electric Sunbeam C30B.

                What I really look forward to is one of those automatic balancing siphon
                systems.

                Hopefully this isn't the end of the story, just the beginning.

                Kerry

                --
                Kerry Soloway

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                  Hi Kerry,
                  If you've had any chance yet to do much research on the C-30 you'll find that most collectors generally don't use them because of the gasket design...they tend to become hard and brittle and unusable. I think the one that collectors tend to go for is the C-50 which stays more usable; however, I do not use any Sunbeams so I'm not the authority. But a search of the message archive will probably bring back a lot of results of past email conversations about the C-30 and the gasket design flaw. The C-30's do look great displayed, though.

                  We each have our favorite pots that we use...and for different reasons. My favorite is the cory automatic, which is half glass and half metal. I just like the look and the convenience of it.

                  The Bodum glass pot does make a great cup of coffee! That was my first experience ever with vacuum pot coffee and I remember it being the smoothest, richest cup of coffee I ever had (up until then, of course).

                  Keep us posted on your search for the Siphon system.

                  --
                  Kerry Soloway
                  http://www.NightingaleEditorial.com
                  201-247-4110
                  ksoloway@...

                • Jerold Dalton
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                    I have attached a word.doc where I explain how I fixed the gasket problem on our Sunbeam C-30 pot. Some of you might want to try this so that you can use the pot.
                    JD

                    --
                    Kerry Soloway

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                      Call me crazy, Jerold. (A lot of people do.) But I don't believe that
                      Yahoo Groups allow attachments any longer. I certainly didn't get the
                      attachment with my message.

                      I think you will have to upload the document to the Files section of
                      the group.

                      K.

                      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Jerold Dalton"

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 23, 2008
                        FYI-Yahoo still allows attachment sending, but it's recommended to disable the feature because viruses can be sent as attachments. The best way to share pics is by uploading them to the group, or by uploading them to a sharing website such as Flickr or Onfinite, and then mailing a link to the group.

                        <jdalton1@...> wrote:

                        > I have attached a word.doc where I explain how I fixed the gasket
                        problem on our Sunbeam C-30 pot. Some of you might want to try this
                        so that you can use the pot.
                        > JD

                      • Jerold Dalton
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 26, 2008
                          Process to re-shape the hardened rubber gasket on the Sunbeam electric C30 vacuum coffee pot.

                          Remove some of the hardened rubber from this edge. Don't remove too much material so as to lose the concave shape and thus not seal properly when using to make coffee.

                          I removed the material by chucking the whole top pot in a wood lathe, so as to get a uniform and concentric shape. (see below)

                          Note: I turned the lathe by hand, not with the motor and slowly shaved off small amounts of the hard rubber. I also removed it from the lathe often to check how it fit into the lower pot. It must fit snug in order for the pot to work right.

                          This is the pot, chucked in the lathe. Note that I was able to leave the handle on as it cleared the lathe base. You might have to remove the handle if you have a smaller clearance.

                          After shaving off the necessary material for the proper fit, I applied paste silicone (a product to lubricate o-rings on sink faucet cartridges) to the gasket to somewhat soften the rubber and provide lubricant for easier insertion and removal with the bottom pot.

                          With these modifications, we have been able to make an unusable pot into one that works just fine and makes great coffee.

                          --
                          Kerry Soloway

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 27, 2008
                            Fortunately for me. The gasket isn't an issue on my C30. It is actually
                            quite pliable. However, I may try this on my Cory DRU/DRL.

                            Thanks.

                            Kerry

                            On Jan 26, 2008 11:02 AM, Jerold Dalton <jdalton1@...> wrote:

                            > Process to re-shape the hardened rubber gasket on the Sunbeam electric
                            > C30 vacuum coffee pot.
                            >
                            > Remove some of the hardened rubber from this edge. Don't remove too much
                            > material so as to lose the concave shape and thus not seal properly when
                            > using to make coffee.
                            >
                            > I removed the material by chucking the whole top pot in a wood lathe, so
                            > as to get a uniform and concentric shape. (see below)
                            >
                            > Note: I turned the lathe by hand, not with the motor and slowly shaved off
                            > small amounts of the hard rubber. I also removed it from the lathe often to
                            > check how it fit into the lower pot. It must fit snug in order for the pot
                            > to work right.
                            >
                            > This is the pot, chucked in the lathe. Note that I was able to leave the
                            > handle on as it cleared the lathe base. You might have to remove the handle
                            > if you have a smaller clearance.
                            >
                            > After shaving off the necessary material for the proper fit, I applied
                            > paste silicone (a product to lubricate o-rings on sink faucet cartridges) to
                            > the gasket to somewhat soften the rubber and provide lubricant for easier
                            > insertion and removal with the bottom pot.
                            >
                            > With these modifications, we have been able to make an unusable pot into
                            > one that works just fine and makes great coffee.

                            ---
                            Kerry Soloway