Greetings to all

  • technoweazel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2008
      I am new to vacuum coffee pot collecting.

      My current "collection" consists of a Cory DRU/DRL with a hardening
      gasket which I shim up with plumber tape when used.

      I have been watching ebay and checking the local antique stores in
      order to add to my "collection".

      The standard newbie questions:

      1. Is it correct that there are no resources for the large gaskets?

      So that a pot with a hard gasket will always remain ornamental only?
      Best I can tell through net research there is no place to buy gaskets
      other than the small neck Silex gasket.

      Seems like you could like sand cast a gasket out of something.

      2. Any recommended online dealers for vac pots? I would love to find
      one of the more ornate Silex pots like a Pinehurst (but maybe you all
      would).

      Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2008
        Mike,
        A company called Food Service Direct used to sell a stainless steel vacuum pot that was very similar to a Cory Nicro, as well as they sold a replacement gasket for it. I mention this because the replacement gasket, while not an exact fit, would fit the Cory DRU/DRL. Their gasket (as with the nicro gasket) was a bit thinner, but still creates a tight seal.

        About 2-1/2 years ago, I bought 2 of them from their website, and have used them no problem on my DRU/DRL pots. However, when I go to their website now, it appears that they no longer carry this item. What you might try doing is to call them. I think there is a number listed on their website, or you can email them. It may be that it is an item which they need to special order and no longer offer through their general inventory...or perhaps they can at least refer you to another supplier.

        I hope that helps.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2008
          Welcome Mike, I have run across a similar situation on the seals with a sunbeam C20B seal. What I did to remedy the seal situation was I took black urethane windshield sealer(comes in like a tube for a caulking gun) plus some silicone spray on my fingertip to help in smoothing a very thin layer (1/16-1/8 thick) over the existing seal after I lightly sanded some of the hard glaze from the seal to give the windshield sealer something to "bite" onto. I sped the drying process by inverting the upper chamber opening over the carafe for about 1/2 hr. while the carafe was in the keep warm mode with just plain tap water. As the hot water naturally gave off steam, the upper vessel had worked like a chimney effect. You will notice to that during the sealant curing process,there will be a sheen from the silicone that was used in smoothing the sealant to the original seal. After the seal has cooled down,simply wipe off the silicone residue,it will not stay on or in the seal
          permanently therefore it makes it safe to brew and drink your coffee. I have also found that periodically you may want to apply a water based lubricant such as Wal-Marts brand of Equate "Personal Lubricant" or similar on the seal to help keep it soft and supple plus it helps in ease of joining/separating the 2 pots. Just remember to wipe of any excess before making your coffee. I hope this helps you and others as well that may be experiencing problems with their vacpot seals. Gabe