Re:C-30A adjustment report 1

  • Gary Stathatos
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2007
      Jim

      I'll look at the one I keep to remind me how it works and let you know
      what I think. If any part inside has been bent or damaged from heat in
      the past, you may not be able to adjust the heat without fixing the
      cause.

      If the water in the pot is boiling (over 200 degrees) then the water
      should move to the upper pot unless the seal between the two units is
      not tight.

      From what you are telling me about the element turning on and off
      indicates that the unit is trying to go from brew to warm. Maybe you
      turned the screw too much.

      Gary Stathatos

    • N. G. Webb
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2007
        I adjusted BOTH screws. With cold water in bottom (8 cup mark), I
        plugged in and switched to HIGH. After about 20 minutes (I still
        notice element is going on and off), the water rose into the top,
        bubbled a minute and then went back down BUT the switch never clicked
        over to WARM, it stayed on HIGH and a couple minutes later the water
        rose into the top AGAIN. Switch never clicked over. I removed the
        brew bowl and checked water temp in bottom... 200 degrees. I
        switched the switch over to WARM put on the lid. After a half hour
        the water was 180 degrees.

        Should the water on WARM be 152-170 degrees? I could adjust the WARM
        sscrew until it holds at that temp, then adjust the BREW screw
        again? Up or down?

        Thanks for your help.

        Jim

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Stathatos"

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 22, 2007
          Jim,

          Welcome to the world of old thermostats.. It is one
          reason I pretty much abandoned the mechanical coffee
          makers and stuck to stove top models.. If they work
          they are fine, but so often they don't and any coaxing
          I did never seemed to end up with a satisfactory
          outcome. Your advice given has been good though so
          maybe you will hit on it. It cant be quite
          frustrating trying to get the things to cycle
          properly. I had a cory that no matter which way I
          adjusted it you would end up with a good brew and one
          level of water and almost none on another. If it is
          staying up for a minute you must be close to the right
          setting, unless what is happening is that your low is
          so high as to cause it to go up, then when it cuts
          back to cool off a bit it drops the coffee, only to go
          back up when the reheat comes on. I think I have had
          some that were into that kind of cycle. As long as
          you have the time to tinker it is a good way to spend
          the day away in winter..

          Larry

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?