Re:C-30A adjustment report 1

  • N. G. Webb
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2007
      OK, Gabe. I'll try that and see what happens.

      Jim

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Angel
      <ci_stovenut@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jim, I did run into that problem as well with my C20B cutting on
      and off. What I attempted to do next was add cold water to the pot
      and not put the switch on high and just see what happened on low,well
      come to find out that I had to turn the keep warm set screw counter-
      clockwise as well it wass to hot and interfering with the brew
      adjustment. Try and get your keep warm temp to at least 155-170 and
      lock your set screw. Then go back and readjust your brew set screw as
      need. This hopfully should shed some light. Gabe

    • Gary Stathatos
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2007
        Jim

        I'll look at the one I keep to remind me how it works and let you know
        what I think. If any part inside has been bent or damaged from heat in
        the past, you may not be able to adjust the heat without fixing the
        cause.

        If the water in the pot is boiling (over 200 degrees) then the water
        should move to the upper pot unless the seal between the two units is
        not tight.

        From what you are telling me about the element turning on and off
        indicates that the unit is trying to go from brew to warm. Maybe you
        turned the screw too much.

        Gary Stathatos

      • N. G. Webb
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 22, 2007
          I adjusted BOTH screws. With cold water in bottom (8 cup mark), I
          plugged in and switched to HIGH. After about 20 minutes (I still
          notice element is going on and off), the water rose into the top,
          bubbled a minute and then went back down BUT the switch never clicked
          over to WARM, it stayed on HIGH and a couple minutes later the water
          rose into the top AGAIN. Switch never clicked over. I removed the
          brew bowl and checked water temp in bottom... 200 degrees. I
          switched the switch over to WARM put on the lid. After a half hour
          the water was 180 degrees.

          Should the water on WARM be 152-170 degrees? I could adjust the WARM
          sscrew until it holds at that temp, then adjust the BREW screw
          again? Up or down?

          Thanks for your help.

          Jim

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Stathatos"

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 22, 2007
            Jim,

            Welcome to the world of old thermostats.. It is one
            reason I pretty much abandoned the mechanical coffee
            makers and stuck to stove top models.. If they work
            they are fine, but so often they don't and any coaxing
            I did never seemed to end up with a satisfactory
            outcome. Your advice given has been good though so
            maybe you will hit on it. It cant be quite
            frustrating trying to get the things to cycle
            properly. I had a cory that no matter which way I
            adjusted it you would end up with a good brew and one
            level of water and almost none on another. If it is
            staying up for a minute you must be close to the right
            setting, unless what is happening is that your low is
            so high as to cause it to go up, then when it cuts
            back to cool off a bit it drops the coffee, only to go
            back up when the reheat comes on. I think I have had
            some that were into that kind of cycle. As long as
            you have the time to tinker it is a good way to spend
            the day away in winter..

            Larry

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?