Sunbeam C-30 problem

  • N. G. Webb
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2007
      Hi Larry and all. It has been a while since I visited here.

      My Sunbeam C-30 Coffeemaster has started to act strangely.

      The auto switch clicks over to WARM before any water has risen up into
      the top brewer. I have tried prewarming the water on WARM before
      switching over to HIGH but the switch will still go onto WARM before
      water rises to make the brew.

      I can hold the switch to the left until the water rises and brew
      starts and then let it move to the right (WARM) and it will finish the
      brewing correctly. But this is supposed to be an AUTOMATIC, not a
      MANUAL coffee maker. :-)

      Any ideas in re: adjustment?

      Jim McCoy
    • Gary Stathatos
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
        On my web page, I have placed the adjusting method I use for the Sunbeam
        C20 & C30 models.
        http://www.collectorville.com/kitchen/coffee_sunbeam-2.htm

        Hope this helps.

        Gary Stathatos

      • N. G. Webb
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Stathatos"
          <garym@...> wrote:

          > On my web page, I have placed the adjusting method I use for the
          Sunbeam
          > C20 & C30 models.

          Hello Gary!

          What a terrific info source you have! Based on my problem (I suppose
          Brew water doesn't get hot enough before it clicks to Warm), I'll try
          that adjustment to bring the water temp up. (Not right now... it's
          got today's coffee in it. HA!) I hadn't tried adjusting before. I
          saw a little corrosion on the contacts and used an emory board
          between them, but that wasn't the problem, I guess... it didn't help.

          And besides the helpful illustrated "how to" on that, I had fun
          browsing your site. I guess I hadn't sit back and counted how many
          Sunbeam appliances I have (or my family had) before!

          Based on your model numbers and illustrations, I have the C-30A
          Coffeemaster (my recent purchase, used), my grandmother's model 10
          Mixmaster (1950), my mom's W-2 waffle iron, and my dad's E3-B3 egg
          poacher! I myself bought the last "Radiant Control" model
          Toastmaster in about 1996 (I always wanted one), and use it daily! I
          also used to have a Sunbeam deep fryer that is not listed in your
          list. It was large, SQUARE, white painted metal with a draincock on
          the front. (My cousin still has it, I think, but I don't know the
          number.)

          I hope you will expand your site with more photos of the models!

          Thanks again.

          Jim McCoy
          jimbo97@...
        • lobsterboy582000
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "N. G. Webb"
            <yo_ngw_05@...> wrote:

            > My Sunbeam C-30 Coffeemaster has started to act strangely.
            >
            > The auto switch clicks over to WARM before any water has risen up
            into
            > the top brewer. > Any ideas in re: adjustment?
            >
            > Jim McCoy

            I have two C30s. I removed the faceplate off the bottom of one.
            Underneath is another removable plate that has a cutout to allow
            access to two nuts with threaded shafts that appear to be slotted for
            a standard screwdriver.

            These may be adjustment screws, I don't know. Timing is great on mine
            so I'm not willing to experiment. Other automatic electric vacpots
            like the Sunbeam have thermostats using bimetallic strips to control
            the switch. May be the case here.

            I'm looking for some info I came earlier across re: someone who had
            an electric pot and had made adjustments to the brew cycle timing
            using adjustment nuts or screws. I'll post a link if I find it.

            Art
          • lobsterboy582000
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
              OOps! that's the info, already posted above

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
                Gary,

                Thats a great site, I agree. Is it possible that you
                could put that information in to our "Links" site as
                that question arises now and then. I can never recall
                which way adjust the pots and it would be a great help
                to have it easily available.. Also any related pages
                would be appreciated. We need more factual repair
                advice here.

                Have you found that some pots do not react as you make
                those adjustments. I have thrown a number of sunbeams
                away that seem to not work correctly no matter what I
                tried with the screw adjustments?

                Larry

                --- Gary Stathatos <garym@...> wrote:

                > On my web page, I have placed the adjusting method I
                > use for the Sunbeam
                > C20 & C30 models.

                http://www.collectorville.com/kitchen/coffee_sunbeam-2.htm

                > Hope this helps.
                >

                > Gary Stathatos

                > removed]

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Gabe Angel
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Hi Jim, I have run into a similar problem with a sunbeam C20B,switching back to the low setting before all the water made it into the upper vessel. On the bottom underside there is the manufacturers nameplate,remove the small screw and the plate,you will now see a metal cover with a oval type slot with 2 set screws , you will want to adjust the screw on the high-low lever,move the switch to the high position,take a small pair of long needle nose pliers and loosen the locknut on the set screw about 1-1/2 turns counterclocwise,next take a small pocket type flat blade screwdriver and turn the set screw counter clockwise about 1/2 to 1 turn to increase the length of heating time,hold the set screw with the driver and at the same time tighten the locknut with the pliers. Leave your cover plate of the base just in case you may need to tweek the set screw a little more,, Next,prepare and det up the coffeemaker as if you were going to brew a pot but dont add the coffee to the
                  upper brewer. Plug the coffemaker in and set the switch to high,monitor the performance by checking if all the water has made it up to the top vessel thru normal heating, The pot should switch to low about 5-10 seconds after no water is left in it, if it cuts off too soon \,readjust the screw counterclockwise a little bit more, if it is too much,turn it clockwise. Hope this helps Jim, let me know. Gabe

                • Gabe Angel
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 20, 2007
                    Thanks Gary for that website info,I probably jumped the gun too soon with a earlier reply on the adjustment procedures. I had to adjust my C20B by trial and error method,took a couple hours to get the proper adjustment. At what holding temperature is the best after the coffee stays on the warm only? I do have a thermometer should I need to verify. Gabe