Re: [vacpot] Difference between decaf and regular for vacpots

  • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 15, 2007
      I just lost an auction for a Cory with the measuring glass. I have two
      Corys but wanted the glass, which is really hard to find. The grinder
      and glass went for $51.51. I think I paid around $20 each for the
      grinders.

      Steven

      rsburritt@... wrote:

      >I forgot to mention, the old Cory grinders come up on ebay once in a
      while too. They go anywhere from $20 to $80, depending on the season
      and condition. Of course around the holidays they go for more.

      >Roland

    • rsouthards_2000
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 16, 2007
        Update - Purchased a new grinder the Capresso Infinity. Very nice
        grinder. It makes very uniform grounds. The Cory worked
        beautifully with both decaf and regular! Yea!

        Now if I could just get my Proctor Silex to work. It is leaking
        around the gasket and I can't seem to get it stopped. Have tried
        using plumbers tape and rubber band but I can still hear it and
        there is steam leaking around the spout of the lower pot. Gasket
        looks okay, no cracks it's fairly pliable but I'm having no luck.
        Stalls every time. Maybe no hope for this one!

        Thanks to all,

        Susan

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, <rsburritt@...>
        wrote:

        > Just depends on your budget.
        > There is a Mr. Coffee made a few years ago that has a burr
        grinding mechanism that if you take it apart and adjust it, it can
        be put back together again to give you an excellent cornmeal grind.
        There was a website about it a while back, where the guy had a step-
        by-step instruction on how to do it. I don't know if I still have
        that. But even without that step-by-step, if you're handy, it's
        pretty easy to figure out how to adjust the burrs to give you the
        finer grind and then put it back together again.

        > I have heard a lot of people like the Rancilio Rocky, but it's
        pricey.

        > I use a Cunill, model Brasil commercial grade grinder (with a
        built in doser and removable/adjustable tamper for espresso). Those
        run around $300, but I was VERY lucky and picked up mine in the
        thrift store a couple of years ago for just $12.99. All it needed
        was a good clean up. The burrs were in great shape (still are). Of
        cours it was previously enjoyed and had some wear evident on the
        outside, but still runs like a charm and does a great job of
        grinding just about any grind you want from super fine Turkish to
        nuts-n-bolts chunky. It's big and bulky though, but it looks
        impressive sitting on the counter. I have only good things to say
        about Cunill and highly recommend them. I think they have a bit
        smaller model too, for a bit less and it got good reviews.

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 16, 2007
          Are you refering to the Silex pots? Probably not
          joined with Procter yet? Which type is it, the small
          center or larger opening pot.. We have a source for
          new small ones in our links page but not the larger
          one. Those gaskets can be the hazzard of vac pot
          collecting.. some times your lucky and they will work
          or you can make them work. or once in a while they
          just are not saveable..
          I think the shape of the rubber sometimes becomes
          stressed from sitting all these years and no matter
          how you try and build them up they just don't seat
          right. I guess you have tried wetting the gasket
          with warm water and then with a slight push down
          twisting the upper pot which sometimes helps to seat
          it.. I have had silexs that were not repairable too..
          do we have a picture of which one it is? Is the
          steam coming out between the inside glass and the
          gasket, if so perhaps even more turns of plumbers tape
          might cure it because if its fitting snugg on the
          upper pot it shouldn't leak against the upper bowl.
          If its leaking on the outside it may be that out of
          shape rubber situation..

          Larry

        • nancihank
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 17, 2007
            Maybe she finally realized she was incorrect in her description and
            wanted to make sure you did still want it. I wish people like her would
            listen to collectors when they email them in the first place.
            Nancy C.

            Speaking of hard gaskets. I won an ebay auction yesterday of an early
            Cory DRU/DRL (early 1940s), rather rare but I have two of them already
            (for photo see my album Cory Wide Neck (DRU/DRL) Ivory). Someone had
            asked about the gasket and the seller insisted that it is not rubber
            but hard plastic. Today she emailed me about the gasket and wanted to
            know if I was aware that it was hard and if I still wanted the
            coffeemaker. Of course I do. It is nice that she is giving me a chance
            to back out.

            Steven

            >Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user
            panel and lay it on us.

          • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 17, 2007