Silex 12 cup lido problem.

  • larry hollenberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      Was out on one of my antique mall runs yesteday and actually saw a couple of items.. I
      purchased neither due to the off nature of Ebay of late..

      But I wondered about something. I saw a 12 cup Lido styled. or at least shapped pot with
      the pedal stove.. I didn't have the chrome collar on the lower pot you usually see, but had
      the chrome removable handle on the lower and a handle also on the upper. The upper
      pot wouldn't seat on the lower due to the glass hitting the handle of the lower.. The
      rubber gasket was hard, but may have worked, but not with the two hitting like they were.
      I haven't run into that before . Has anyone else had that issue with the silex pot.. I
      couldn't find a marking on the lower, could it possibly been a GE that same shape? It had
      a very odd filter I have never seen..It was like the old spring coil and long wire, but the
      filter it self was just a small cone shapped piece of either rubber or bakealite?

      The second was a late Cory rubber gasket vac. I did still see one of those doing quite well
      recently, but was afraid to try it..

      Larry
    • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
        Larry,

        What you saw seems like a hybrid. I have a couple of plain
        (undecorated) Lidos (4 cup and 12 cup) but they have the Moldex
        handles. (I have a Silex LK carafe that has one of those handles, but,
        according to Matt, it is not a factory edition.) It seems like they
        metal handles were for decorated models. If it was a Silex the glass
        would have been marked UP and LP. Some day when I get my Silex models
        straight I will put their photos in an album.

        Regarding the filter, check my album Some photos from oribatids, the
        first photo looks like what you are describing.

        Steven

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
          Steven,

          Your right it was the Cafex filter, hadn't noticed
          that one previously.

          Larry

          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
            Steven,

            Your right it was the Cafex filter, hadn't noticed
            that one previously.

            Larry

            --- STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS <lewissp@...> wrote:

            > Larry,
            >
            > What you saw seems like a hybrid. I have a couple of
            > plain
            > (undecorated) Lidos (4 cup and 12 cup) but they have
            > the Moldex
            > handles. (I have a Silex LK carafe that has one of
            > those handles, but,
            > according to Matt, it is not a factory edition.) It
            > seems like they
            > metal handles were for decorated models. If it was a
            > Silex the glass
            > would have been marked UP and LP. Some day when I
            > get my Silex models
            > straight I will put their photos in an album.
            >
            > Regarding the filter, check my album Some photos
            > from oribatids, the
            > first photo looks like what you are describing.
            >
            > Steven
            >
            > larry hollenberg wrote:
            >

            > >Hi everyone,
            > >
            > >Was out on one of my antique mall runs yesteday and
            > actually saw a
            > couple of items.. I
            > >purchased neither due to the off nature of Ebay of
            > late..
            > >
            > >But I wondered about something. I saw a 12 cup
            > Lido styled. or at
            > least shapped pot with
            > >the pedal stove.. I didn't have the chrome collar
            > on the lower pot you
            > usually see, but had
            > >the chrome removable handle on the lower and a
            > handle also on the
            > upper. The upper
            > >pot wouldn't seat on the lower due to the glass
            > hitting the handle of
            > the lower.. The
            > >rubber gasket was hard, but may have worked, but
            > not with the two
            > hitting like they were.
            > >I haven't run into that before . Has anyone else
            > had that issue with
            > the silex pot.. I
            > >couldn't find a marking on the lower, could it
            > possibly been a GE that
            > same shape? It had
            > >a very odd filter I have never seen..It was like
            > the old spring coil
            > and long wire, but the
            > >filter it self was just a small cone shapped piece
            > of either rubber or
            > bakealite?
            > >
            > >The second was a late Cory rubber gasket vac. I
            > did still see one of
            > those doing quite well
            > >recently, but was afraid to try it..
            > >
            > >Larry

            http://farechase.yahoo.com/
          • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
              Larry, it seems like the website is sending multiples of emails, I
              think I got three of this one.

              Anyway, I need to correct my observation that only the decorated Lidos
              had metal handles. I looked at some auction photos that I have saved
              and found out that I was wrong. Looking at 5 auctions for the ruby
              Lidos, they are the plain models but they have metal handles. I also
              see a clear glass plain Lido with a metal handle.

              Steven

              ____________

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
                Steven,

                My computer is in poor shape and awaiting repairs..
                One of the things it isn't doing well is changing
                screens and sending things.. I may have had to hold
                the key down to get it to send and caused it to repeat
                its self.. I saw it flash the lines more than once on
                that one..

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
                  Larry,

                  We are slaves of technology. My office computer's hard drive comes on
                  and runs aimlessly, which delays the running of programs. I have been
                  waiting for over two weeks for our computer people to find out what is
                  wrong. This problem developed after they spent 3.5 days trying to
                  figure out why my computer would not load the anti-virus program. My
                  computer at home needs a memory upgrade, but due to its age it would
                  cost me $500 to get it up to a Meg. I am still debating what to do
                  there. It works but runs slowly, even after defragging the hard drive.

                  I recently bought two sets of Silex catalog pages. They each are four
                  pages and are slightly different. One is labelled "Form 137" and the
                  other is "Form 138." Each had a price list insert dated September 1,
                  1938. I have scanned them and plan on adding them to one of my albums.
                  In Form 137 both the Lido Plain Model and the Lido Decorated Model are
                  shown with the Moldex handles. In Form 138, the Lido Plain Model is
                  called the Lido Clear Model and it has the Moldex handles. The Lido
                  Decorated has the chrome plated metal handles.

                  Steven

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
                    Steven,

                    Sounds like mine, it goes to sleep and won't wake up,
                    starts running the fan at top speed till you shut it
                    down..

                    Thanks for the new catalog views, will check them out
                    a bit latter in the middle of packing a ebay
                    return...such is my week.

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com