Re: [vacpot] Re: ebay sellers

  • nancihank
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2007
      Whoa!! That was definitely a grouch!! I have emailed lots of people, one just yesterday who insisted that she had CALLED Pyrex and they had told her that Pyrex was introduced to the public in 1913. There is no company named PYREX to call.....Corning Glass Works was the original maker of Pyrex....and Corning sold off their housewares division in 1996 to World Kitchens, Inc. I gave her three book names and pages to document the date plus typed in information from "The Generations of Corning...The Life and Times of a Global Corporation" documenting the introduction of Pyrex to the public as being May of 1915 at the Jordan Marsh Department Store in Boston, Mass.....plus gave her the name of the President of Corning and his address, and told her she could also call the curator of The Corning Museum in Corning, New York and talk to her. She was so adamant that she was right......geezelouise.....anyway......gave her a lot of documentation.....but haven't heard back from her.

      Most of the time when I share information I have on things people have incorrectly listed, I get nice thank you notes back. I would have been glad of any help I got from anyone when I was listing on ebay....it is impossible to know everything about every collectible out there.
      Nancy
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2007
        Is there any wonder why the internet is considered a "virtual" world.
        And a virtual reality for some, it seems.
        I've had a few people email me information on items I have sold in the past. What I did was research the information and if it was accurate, then I changed or added to the listing. Keeping in mind that sometimes bidders want an item and attempting to mislead sellers to put errant information in a listing to discourage other bidders is a trick that's also been done. And sometimes two bidders work in tandem to give and then support misleading information, the one bidder emails the seller while the second bidder emails them the next day, both with the same misinformation. I have friends who have sold on ebay since the beginning and this has happened to them and other people they know.

        True story: I emailed a seller once to ask if a gasket on a vacpot was still pliable and she wrote back and said "no, this is hard shiny plastic just as it should be". I emailed her back and told her it was because the rubber gasket had dried out, that's why it was hard, but when new it was soft, pliable rubber in order to create the vacuum between the two pots (Hello...that's why it's called a VACUUM pot). She emailed me back and told me I was mistaken because she could see the moulding marks on it and she read me the letters which were DRR. I wrote her back and told her that is a Cory gasket that had dried out and she wrote back and told me I didn't know what I was talking about. So I finally emailed her back and told her she was an idiot. (In THOSE exact words).
        Then, I forwarded the entire email chain to THREE of my friends, who each contacted her to ask the same question, "Is the gasket still pliable". To each of them she wrote back the same STUPID answer, "No, this is hard plastic and original to the pot, just as it should be." My friends each wrote her back and told her that the gaskets were made out of rubber, else how woudl they work to create a vacuum?. She finally wrote back to the third friend saying, "you know, I'm starting to wonder about this because so many people have emailed me, but I'm still going to say that it's plastic.

        She was an idiot with a capital F.

        We have often sent email to a seller to let them know that
        the item was not complete, or original, etc. Often we get a
        curt "Thanks" as you did. On one occasion we emailed a seller
        who raved about what an excellent item it was (to die for, etc.)
        to tell her it was missing a part. She shot back a very nasty
        email suggesting that she knew about it and that she did not
        appreciate "unnecessary email." She said she was going to report
        it to eBay, etc., etc. and that we should only email her with
        questions related to a genuine interest in bidding on the item.
        What a grouch!!

      • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2007
          Ron, that reminds me of a seller in North Dakota. I had won an auction
          for a Silex (or maybe a Cory catalog). Although not mentioned in the
          ad, I figured that it would be sent by Media Mail, which is very slow.
          He never sent an acknowledgement that he had received payment so I
          waited for at least 10 days before I sent him an email, just checking
          that he had received my payment. He sent a really obnoxious reply--that
          I had no patience, did it occur that he lived 30 miles from a post
          office and only mailed once a week, and that Media Mail was very slow.
          I emailed him back, that he should have included all that information
          in his ad. I finally got the catalog and left him positive feedback.
          The feedback he left for me was positive and he even apologized for his
          irate response. Maybe he just had a bad day.

          Steven

        • arttchr98@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2007
            FROM MODERATOR: Last Names and ebay ID's have been edited out for security/privacy.

            I have been reading all your great words of advice that has not always
            fallen on welcome ears. I have welcome ears. I hope you will all listen to my
            dilemma it is a little long.
            My brother was a collector of Vacuum coffee pots. I hope some of you will
            have known him as all of his 50 plus pots were bought here on eBay. His eBay
            name was (edited by moderator) and his name is Bill (edited by moderator).
            I am very sad to say Bill lost a year long battle with cancer this summer.
            He was only 51 years young. He leaves behind a wife who is legally blind from
            diabetes and went through open heart surgery just before he was diagnosed. He
            has a grown daughter in college from his first marriage and A 5 year old
            daughter who started kindergarten a week after losing her Daddy. I'm telling you
            a little of his background so you can understand our families situation. Bill
            was a computer annalist in Arizona and for the first time in his adult life
            was finally successful in love and work and then he found out he had a very
            rare form of cancer. They gave him weeks to live, he beat the cancer none the
            less. Then he chose to go in for a bone marrow transplant to assure that he
            would have a better chance that it would not return. Through all of the medical
            procedures he had many setbacks and when it was time to get his transplant
            his body was just to weak and he got a tumor on his brain stem and he was gone
            in less than a week. What does this have to do with Vacuum pots you ask?
            Well we have 50 plus coffee pots that we know nothing about, like all those
            people that tell you "thanks" when you offer them help. My mother (oh I'm Bills
            sister Michele)and I have tried to research them and pulled up many of your
            ads where he bought them. Some he has taken different incomplete pots and
            bought parts for them. He has about $100 credit with eBay as they refunded some
            fees for a failed sale of a motorcycle (while he was in the hospital) His wife
            is blind and has no way to list these or anything on the computer to utilize
            these funds. My mother has the pots at her house in Arizona and has
            attempted to write ads for some of them. I on the other hand am in Missouri and am
            the person with eBay experience but no coffee pot knowledge. I teach all day
            and run an Amazon Bookstore (that he started from his hospital bed). My mother
            contacted an antique dealer in Phoenix and they did not want to deal with
            them. I suggested an auction house and she has had not luck locating one. I know
            that many of these pots are of value and his widow has no use for them. What
            we need is all of your expertise. Perhaps one of you lives in Arizona or
            would be willing to look at the information prior to listing them so we are not
            scrambling to repair incorrect ads as the clock ticks on. What is in it for
            you all can be negotiated. First these pots will be yours to view first,
            perhaps a percentage of choice of pots... we are really lost. We just need to
            sell them correctly to make as much of his investment back as his wife has gone
            from his substantial income to living on SSI (which she has not received 2
            months later). I am writing you guys because when my mom asked me to list
            these, I found your group and left a short plea for help but never heard anything,
            then today I got all these emails that show what a helpful caring group you
            are. If you reply to this email please put Bill's Pots in the subject bar so
            I don't delete it.
            Thanks (that is genuine)
            Michele

          • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 22, 2007
              I have never gotten something wrapped in inner tubes but I have gotten
              a coffemaker packed in popped popcorn.

              Steven

              Bo Long wrote:

              >My most recent seller weirdness event was receiving a vacpot wrapped in
              >old bicycle tire inner tubes. It was a pretty good wrapping job though.
              >Bo Long
              >

              >--- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "oribatids"
              ><lewissp@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Reading comments about some ebay sellers is interesting. Some are very
              >> good. I have gotten items that were broken in transit that the seller
              >> was willing to refund the entire amount of the transaction. Some
              >> sellers are completely above board.
              >>
              >> There is an auction right now on ebay for a Silex two cup
              >> (300151318773)that I emailed the seller to let him know that the item
              >> he is selling is not completely original. The handle is not a Silex
              >> handle and since the pot has a white collar, the original handle would
              >> have been white. He responded with only a "Thanks." As of yet, he has
              >> not included the information in his ad. And the bid is up to $75.
              >>
              >> Steven

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
                Unfortunately, it is not just the internet where people
                have their "virtual reality." There is a term for the
                sort of attitude you describe: invincible ignorance.

                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, <rsburritt@...> wrote:

                > Is there any wonder why the internet is considered a "virtual" world.
                > And a virtual reality for some, it seems.
                [snip] She finally wrote back to the third friend saying, "you know,

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
                  Steven,

                  I don't think we have ever had a snippy/irate/p(censored)y
                  seller apologize for being that way. One of our most
                  unpleasant experiences came rather early in our eBay
                  activities. To some extent, we were just inexperienced,
                  but the seller's feedback should have been a significant
                  "warning flag." He repeatedly left hostile feedback and
                  comments. He was particularly derogatory where "newbies"
                  were concerned. He (and other sellers) don't seem to realize
                  that without new people coming in to eBay, it will die out.
                  Anyway, we won a pair of Royal Albert Provincial Flowers
                  cups and saucers thinking they were the standard size. When
                  we received them, they were *demitasse* cups & saucers. We
                  subsequently realized that the picture had been done to
                  disguise the fact that they were demitasse (the demitasse
                  cups have no interior decal). In the course of our complaints
                  the seller almost bragged, "I don't even know what demitasse
                  means!" Well, the seller was Canadian. It is quite possible
                  that he didn't actually speak French, but it seems to us that
                  a Canadian power seller should be embarrassed to admit not
                  knowing what demitasse means. We were tempted to say something
                  like, "It means 'half-*ssed', like *you*!" However, we
                  virtuously refrained from doing so. The seller had not yet left
                  feedback, and realizing that he was the sort who is very quick
                  to leave negative feedback, we simply did not leave feedback,
                  without saying we would not, allowing him to wonder what we
                  would do.

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 23, 2007
                    Hi Steven how did that work? Did it make it?

                    Bo Long wrote:

                    >My most recent seller weirdness event was receiving a vacpot wrapped in
                    >old bicycle tire inner tubes. It was a pretty good wrapping job though.
                    >Bo Long
                    >

                    >--- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "oribatids"
                    ><lewissp@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Reading comments about some ebay sellers is interesting. Some are very
                    >> good. I have gotten items that were broken in transit that the seller
                    >> was willing to refund the entire amount of the transaction. Some
                    >> sellers are completely above board.
                    >>
                    >> There is an auction right now on ebay for a Silex two cup
                    >> (300151318773)that I emailed the seller to let him know that the item
                    >> he is selling is not completely original. The handle is not a Silex
                    >> handle and since the pot has a white collar, the original handle would
                    >> have been white. He responded with only a "Thanks." As of yet, he has
                    >> not included the information in his ad. And the bid is up to $75.
                    >>
                    >> Steven

                  • STEVEN PHILLIP LEWIS
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
                      Roland,

                      I cannot remember exactly what I got but I assume that it was a glass
                      coffeemaker. It arrived fine. Incidently, the popcorn was not buttered,
                      which would have made a great mess. The reason for the popcorn is that
                      it is environmentally friendly compared to styrofoam peanuts.

                      One of the packing methods that has given mixed results is the plastic
                      airbags--I am not sure what they are actually called. Sometimes they
                      are almost completely deflated which has allowed glass items to bang
                      together. In other shipments, they do fine.

                      Steven

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
                        Hi Steven,

                        I'm not a fan of those inflated plastic chambers. They work for what they are intended for, but nothing else. Many people who are not familiar with the shipping industry have no clue what they were designed to do and end up using them for the wrong things. Some shippers won't pay claims on damaged merchandise if it was shipped with them, unless it was exactly according to the specification (right amount of filler and only for certain items).

                        They are meant as space filler only, not as protection. They are for things that are either non-breakable, or double boxed in such a way as to be almost non-breakable (example: a product already packed and boxed by the manufacturer, using styrofoam blocks but which needs to be put inside a larger box for shipping). They are also for books, bundles of printed/recorded media, reems of paper, etc.

                        The only functions of those air chambers are to keep the box contents from shifting, as well as to add volume to keep an outer box from crushing under the weight of other packages. But people don't know that and end up using them for things like fine china or glass. They also offer almost no protection against shock.

                        Commercial shippers sometimes don't even know how to use them properly either. Case in point: We ordered a pressure cooker from Amazon.com and the warehousers used those plastic chambers to ship the manufacturer box inside a larger plain brown shipping box. Either they were not trained properly, or not following the standard because instead of placing the manufacturer's box in the center of the larger shipping box and spacing the air fillers equally on both sides of it, they just jammed the manufacturer's box into one corner of the larger box and stuffed all the air filler on the other side. Not only was it off balance (heavy on one side, light on the other), but only one side of the pressure cooker was protected from external shock or damage. So naturally, when the box tipped (from being off balance) and fell on its side, the pressure cooker was subsequently damaged even though the box showed no sign of damage on the other side other than a scuff which carriers don't pay claims for because that's considered normal shipping rigor.

                        Amazon replaced the pressure cooker, but then the replacement was sent with the same improper use of the air filler. Only by a stroke of fortune, the second time there was no damage.

                        Whenever I receive any shipment where those air fillers were used, I immediately cut them with scissors or a carton knife and dispose of them.