Re: [vacpot] Clean pots

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
      What is the item number?

      From: "Ron" <stebchem@...>
      To: <vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 8:41 AM
      Subject: [vacpot] Clean pots

      Has anybody else ever had a problem with a seller who
      claimed that a coffee maker was clean and/or in good
      condition, but when you received the pot it was NOT
      as advertised? We recently bought a GE "potbelly"
      percolator on eBay. The title proclaimed "EXC WORKING
      COND!" and the description said, "good working condition"
      and "There is some staining inside from use, otherwise
      the pot is clean and ready to go to work for you." However,
      when we received the item, not only was the inside of the pot
      *filthy*, but the inside of the lid was pitted, and
      there was pitting and corrosion on the bottom of the
      stem. We probably should have rejected the pot immediately,
      but we made a good faith effort to clean it. Well, not only
      was the inside filthy, it was severely worn. We complained
      to the seller, who got snippy and defensive, insisting that
      we must have damaged the pot by cleaning it (the claim was
      hogwash...we have had to clean many a coffee maker and we
      know what we are doing), and insisting that "The pot was
      clean enough for use. That also was hogwash.

      We aren't sure if the seller is simply a liar, one of those
      deluded people who think that a buildup of old coffee gunk
      is "seasoning"*, or a combination of the two. Has anybody else
      had similar experiences?

      *Once upon a time, in a listing for a Sunbean C30, the seller
      went on and on about how you must not disturb the "seasoning"
      (i.e., old, stale coffee gunk) in the pot. Yuck.
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, <rsburritt@...> wrote:

        > What is the item number?
        > Roland

        Hi Roland,

        The item number was 130151307544.

        Ron
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
          Hi Ron,

          I'm sorry that happened to you. At least this was not a high dollar item,
          though. If you paid with Paypal, you might consider filing a claim.

          It looks a bit fishy to me and I'll explain my reasoning. Not that anything
          I have to say would be able to change what happened...but here is my
          looking/bidding/buying philosophy for what it's worth (if anything).

          I don't have any experience with that particular seller but I can tell you
          that it's been my experience that some sellers are not objective when
          describing and will omit things that you should be aware of. Some people
          will say they are not an expert, which is totally fine...BUT then they at
          least include extra photos to help compensate for anything they might not
          know to look for (eg: a pic of the inside and underside). I think that's
          respectable.

          But your seller did not do that in this case.

          I've learned the hard way not to buy anything from anyone (even with
          "glowing" feedback) that does not feature at least one picture of the inside
          and preferably the underside as well. If there is no pic of the inside on
          the auction, then I ask for one. If they don't have a pic of the inside or
          are not willing to send one (eg: "the item is already packed") then I just
          let it go. There will always be another one to come along on ebay.

          Another thing I've seen happen (and experienced) is that the items will be
          staged to conceal imperfections in the photograph (for example by shadows, or
          having the dent covered by one of the other accessories. When I contact them
          after it arrives, the seller will disavow any knowledge of it, saying it was
          probably damaged in the mail or that I'm crazy (had one seller tell me this).
          However, if I go back to the photo I can see exactly where something was
          placed to cover up the area of damage (it doesn't take a rocket scientist to

          If something is not clearly visible in the pic, or if the shot is blurry or
          out of focus (yet another trick that some sellers hide defects under the
          guise of seemingly bad photography), then I will ask for a better photo. If
          they don't have it or can't provide it then I let it go.

          None of this information solves your current problem, but I just wanted to
          reaffirm what you asked. It looks like the seller may not have fully
          disclosed and that impression can be backed up by the lack of a photo of the
          inside.

          Good luck!

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
            Hi Roland,

            Thanks for your comments regarding sellers that don't reveal
            all one needs to know. This particular coffeemaker is one we
            had been wanting to purchase so when it came up at a low Buy
            It Now price, we pounced on it. Ordinarily we don't buy on
            impulse but the seller did state it was clean and in good
            shape. The lack of a photo of the inside of the pot was one
            fault in the listing. The other fault was to show the end of
            the perc stem in shadow so the damage to it was not apparent.

            The seller was very haughty about the pot's condition and
            how we had supposedly damaged it during cleaning. We told
            her that we had cleaned up at least a hundred coffee pots and
            had not damaged one yet. In her next email, she was a little
            less haughty and suggested we could send it back for a refund
            "if she received it in the same condition she had sent it in."
            She had already made up her mind that we had damaged the pot so,
            even when she offered to refund shipping as well as the cost
            of the item, we declined her offer. We told her that the
            hassle we had endured was already greater than the item was
            worth. We just said, "Forget it." We told her that no further
            email was required so we haven't heard a word since.

            She had already given us positive feedback but we decided to
            leave no feedback at all. By rights, we could have left negative
            feedback for her but that can trigger further unwanted responses
            and we really didn't want anything more to do with her. We will
            let her sweat it out with the possiblity that we *might* leave
            negative feedback.

            Like you, we usually examine the description, photos, etc. very
            carefully and often ask questions and/or request additional
            photos.
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
              Your problems with the seller is surely one of the
              weak points of the ebay system.. I too recently have
              received things that were either broken or not up to
              par and yet have tried to work around a negative when
              it might have been due. Seems too easy to get a
              negative in response even when your in the right so I
              just give a muted positve with maybe something like
              "could have packed better" or description not clear,
              and move on.

              I got a bunch of records today that are damaged after
              giving instructions on how to avoid damage. I got a
              Hall coffee pot with broken lid due to poor packing,
              but gave a positive anyway after a lengthy back and
              forth and getting a partial refund, which will never
              replace the lid.

              Seems like its part of the system to have to skirt the
              real issues for fear of a negative.

              Larry

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
                Hi Ron,

                It's a shame that happened to you, especially when it's an item you've looked
                for for a long time. I hope another one comes up soon and perhaps you might
                even make good use of the other one for parts.

                Thanks for the heads up about that seller.

                Out of curiosity, when you say the inside is worn, are you referring to
                nickel plating being worn off?

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
                  I would have left that seller neutral feedback. Sellers like that do sincerely get on my last nerve.
                  Nancy C.
                  East Texas

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
                    --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, <rsburritt@...>
                    wrote:
                    Hi Roland,

                    The coffeemaker was badly worn inside (in addition to being dirty),
                    especially the ridges that surround the well in the bottom of the
                    pot. There was also significant pitting on the inside of the lid.
                    (That seems strange.) The most serious outright damage was serious
                    corrosion on the bottom end of the percolator stem. Parts of the
                    edge were actually eaten away. As I mentioned earlier, this damage
                    didn't show up in her photos since the damaged part was in shadow.
                    (How convenient...for her.)

                    What with sellers such as this one, poor packing and subsequent
                    breakage, excessively high shipping costs, etc., we're getting
                    more and more disillusioned with eBay. We're glad that we're
                    not seeking large numbers of items for our collections any longer.
                    We remain on the lookout for that special item at a good price
                    and find it interesting just to see what prices things are
                    bringing on eBay these days.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
                      Hi Ron, I understand what you are saying. I suspect that part of the problem
                      can be attributed to ever-rising costs of postage and ebay fees. Buyers
                      perceive S/H costs as being too high and are reluctant to pay (even when you
                      only add $1 or $2 for handling). When you advertise the accurate cost of
                      proper packing based on the item being packed adequately to survive the
                      journey, buyers still complain that it's too high. So, sellers will skimp on
                      packing not only to save the cost of materials, but also to make the parcels
                      smaller and not so heavy. In other words, it becomes a calculated risk.

                      Of course, ebay is a calculated risk anyway when you consider what I call the
                      seller IPC rate (that's idiots per capita).

                      As we all know, sometimes it's just plain stupidity on the part of the
                      seller. Like packing the glass globe of a DEU in the same box with the heavy
                      chrome base and then wondering why it got broken (or leaving the filter
                      inside the glass globe...and not even with bubble wrap on it).

                      Sometimes I'm amazed that some of these people are smart enough to know where
                      the on/off button is on their computer, much less use the damn thing to
                      create an ebay listing.

                      The coffeemaker was badly worn inside (in addition to being dirty),
                      especially the ridges that surround the well in the bottom of the
                      pot. There was also significant pitting on the inside of the lid.
                      (That seems strange.) The most serious outright damage was serious
                      corrosion on the bottom end of the percolator stem. Parts of the
                      edge were actually eaten away. As I mentioned earlier, this damage
                      didn't show up in her photos since the damaged part was in shadow.
                      (How convenient...for her.)

                      What with sellers such as this one, poor packing and subsequent
                      breakage, excessively high shipping costs, etc., we're getting
                      more and more disillusioned with eBay. We're glad that we're
                      not seeking large numbers of items for our collections any longer.
                      We remain on the lookout for that special item at a good price
                      and find it interesting just to see what prices things are
                      bringing on eBay these days.

                      > Hi Ron,
                      >
                      > It's a shame that happened to you, especially when it's an item
                      you've looked
                      > for for a long time. I hope another one comes up soon and perhaps
                      you might
                      > even make good use of the other one for parts.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the heads up about that seller.
                      >
                      > Out of curiosity, when you say the inside is worn, are you
                      referring to
                      > nickel plating being worn off?
                      > Roland

                    • nancihank
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
                        Boy, Roland.....do you have THAT one 100% correct!!!
                        Nancy C.