Clean pots

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2007
      Has anybody else ever had a problem with a seller who
      claimed that a coffee maker was clean and/or in good
      condition, but when you received the pot it was NOT
      as advertised? We recently bought a GE "potbelly"
      percolator on eBay. The title proclaimed "EXC WORKING
      COND!" and the description said, "good working condition"
      and "There is some staining inside from use, otherwise
      the pot is clean and ready to go to work for you." However,
      when we received the item, not only was the inside of the pot
      *filthy*, but the inside of the lid was pitted, and
      there was pitting and corrosion on the bottom of the
      stem. We probably should have rejected the pot immediately,
      but we made a good faith effort to clean it. Well, not only
      was the inside filthy, it was severely worn. We complained
      to the seller, who got snippy and defensive, insisting that
      we must have damaged the pot by cleaning it (the claim was
      hogwash...we have had to clean many a coffee maker and we
      know what we are doing), and insisting that "The pot was
      clean enough for use. That also was hogwash.

      We aren't sure if the seller is simply a liar, one of those
      deluded people who think that a buildup of old coffee gunk
      is "seasoning"*, or a combination of the two. Has anybody else
      had similar experiences?

      *Once upon a time, in a listing for a Sunbean C30, the seller
      went on and on about how you must not disturb the "seasoning"
      (i.e., old, stale coffee gunk) in the pot. Yuck.
    • Gabe Angel
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2007
        Hi Ron and All, Yes I can also say that I have come across some dirty cruddy coffee makers on the inside and from sellers not being accurate in detail on their description or condition.. My most recent was a Sunbeam C50 vacpot just charred with dried coffee on the inside. I tried some coffee make cleaner and it still did not clean it out completly. I tried another approach and pre-warmed the lower carafe but not to full heat, and sprayed some oven cleaner inside and let it soak for about 15 minutes, This procedure worked quite well for loosening all the old coffee gunk, and using a mild non-scratch scrubbing pad and a good rinse. fortunatley all the plating was still good on the inside of the pot with no brass showing thru. Now I use the coffee maker on a daily basis. Just an idea to share with others. Gabe