Re: Yama Mini-Vacpot

  • Gabe Angel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007
      Hi Donna and All. I know I will just have to give this small vacpot a whirl, I agree that it would take some some to boil  just cold water alone with just the alcohol burner.  I was actually hoping that it would have came in the mail today and try it out.  I have not heard anything from the seller as far as it being shipped.  Lately I have been enjoying most of my coffee from a percolator, I also got to where I took an extra percolator to work, I just dont care for their fast auto drip method or the brand of coffee they use.(Community Coffee) it appears to have chickory added  in the coffee, Ugghhh, So I furnish my own brand.  I have seen a few of the sunbeam C30 vacpots showing up at some fleamalls,but I look at them and the majority of the gaskets are in bad shape,split,missing or too much is being asked for them in their condition.  I only have 3 vacpots at this time, a Cory dru/drl,Farberware Robot,and a Bodum Santos, But I must have at least 50 vintage percolators and urns.  Thanks for the advise and the tips on the Yama.

    • T S Melvin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2007

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2007
          Hi Steve, I never would have even thought about using HEET for a alcohol lamp fuel, I will keep that in mind, ocassionally I do see it avail here in the South even though our winters are mild. I did try some Isopropyl rubbing alcohol,but I was not impressed with the burning results,too much water in fuel and a cooler flame. Did get by a home depot and picked up a can of denatured alcohol and the results and the time to boil water in the lower vessel was much more faster even though I first pre-heated the water by microwave method for 2 minutes. I can say that I am impressed with the overall performance of this mini-vacpot,and the taste of the coffee when done for winning this on eBay for $15. It was delivered this past Thursday, I will upload some pics as well shortly to my album of this from north-south brewing. Take Care