Sunbeam C30 search

  • sotahtats_gary
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
      In my search for a good Sunbeam C30 gasket, I walked into an old
      antique store and asked if they had any Sunbeam coffe pots. The lady
      told me she had one, but could not seperate the top from the bottom.
      It was a C30-C with a glass Silex filter. She sold it to me for
      $7. I'm still looking for a good gasket.

      I checked with a company that makes gasket and was told, they would
      need an order of 300 to make a mold.

      Gary Stathatos
    • vacpotaddict
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
        Garry,

        As someone already commented about earlier... the C30 gaskets have a
        metal "core" that makes the pots fit tightly together and, I believe,
        contributes to their early demise. Any company that were to make
        replacement gaskets wouldn't likely be able to duplicate this feature
        which would mean that the gaskets wouldn't work properly.

        Metal vacpot gaskets seem to seize up much more often than any other
        gaskets in my experience and the only thing you can do is keep looking
        for a post with a good one. Most sellers on Ebay don't really
        understand what pliable or flexible means or will outright lie just to
        make a sale. On the positive side C30 tops can be had for well less
        than $10 and whole post will be close to the same price if you look
        for the cheaper ones... if you're looking for a good gasket then the
        outer appearance of the pot doesn't matter and that will lower the
        price of the pot.

        Good luck with your search.

        Dave

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "sotahtats_gary"

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
          Gary 2 question. What company was it that you checked with, was it the one who makes the silex narrow-neck replacement in silicone?
          Also did you get the C-30 apart and if so, how?  I have a c-30 that may as well be welded together. The gasket won't budge at all and I'm afraid the only way to get the top out of the bottom is by destroying one half or the other.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
            Dave, Gary, this might be off topic and I don't mean to be argumentative but I am inclined to believe that just because the gasket was originally made with a metal insert doesn't mean that some kind of substitute or replacement can not be fashioned in place of the old one...minus the metal insert.
            Technology has come a long way since these were first made.  It's not "easy" to engineer these gaskets, but it's also not impossible.
            About a year ago I went to a rubber fabricator in my old neighborhood, showed him what I wanted and he told and showed me how it could be made to virtually any specifications, but the cost was more than I wanted to sink into it (the mold is very expensive to make).
            Just my $.02

            Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 4:09 PM
            Subject: [vacuumcoffeepotcollector] Re: Sunbeam C30 search

          • helian@pacific.net.au
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
              Please change my address to ianbersten@...
            • vacpotaddict
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
                Roland,

                What I'm describing has absolutely nothing to do with the way things
                were made in the 40's or technological advances of today. It's a
                matter of the way the gasket was made by Sunbeam to fit a particular
                application.

                If you look at a gasket on, say a Cory, you will see that the inside
                diameter of the gasket is supported by a portion of the glass upper
                siphon neck... this is typical of the vast majority of vacpots. The
                Sunbeam C30 upper doesn't have a similar wide section to support the
                gasket. They used the metal inner support to substitute. It's an
                integral part of the gasket and without it there will not be enough
                outward force to form a proper seal.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 7, 2007
                  Dave, how about an oversized gasket?  That's what I was alluding to.
                  If I'm completely out of the ball park, then set me straight. Somehow I just know you will. LOL  ;-)
                  Happy coffee drinking.

                  Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 3:08 PM