Re: [vacuumcoffeepotcollector] Re: Gaskets

  • cal
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2007
      Hi Dave,

      Very interesting.  I can see how the narrow neck would not sell weel, but the wide would.  The new Bodum's narrow neck gasket works on some of the old pots.  The wide gaskets however go bad more quickly and there seems to be no source for them.  If I can not find any wide neck gaskets it is possible to make them using silicone since it is a cold cure material and the mold can be made out of wood.  I've been looking for a source of the proper grade silicone sold in small quantity.

      Gary

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2007
        Hi Guys, You might remember a while ago I wrote about the taste and benefits of Yerba Mate (and how much better it is for you) and that I use my vacuum pots to brew it. I thought I'd send along this info in case any of you might be adventurous and branch out a little and maybe join us in a new and rapidly growing trend. You can drink alot more before getting the jitters and what it does for your mind is amazing....And it's as addicting and satisfying as coffee. Good Sunday, Mary

        Young Yerba Plant Folks across the United States embark on a daily morning ritual to obtain their caffeine fix. This "fix" usually comes in the form of a hot beverage known as coffee. Coffee is a pick-me-up favorite in offices worldwide, but North Americans typically consume a larger amount of coffee per capita than any other country. In the States, you'll hear "Let's meet over a cup of coffee" or "I've got to get my cup of coffee before I do anything!". However, our neighbors to the south have a different perspective on energizing beverages. In South America, the morning and afternoon beverage of choice is Yerba Mate. In fact, mate bars are as prevelant in South American countries as coffee bars are here in the states. According to a survey conducted by IBOPE Argentina, yerba mate boasts a 92% household consumption rate in Argentina. Yerba Mate, like coffee, is available in different flavors and prepared in various ways. Mate from the various growing regions of South America possess distinct tastes and flavors unique to each area.

        A cup of culture: Yerba mate moves beyond fad status and into the American mainstream - Houston Chronicle 9/17/05

        What does yerba mate taste like? Yerba mate has a slight astringent bitter taste due to the high tannin content of the leaves. Additionally, products with a higher amount of sticks and stems will have more bitterness than pure leaf mate. As with other bitter beverages such as black coffee, beer, or tea, straight yerba mate is an acquired taste for some consumers. People are naturally drawn toward sweet, sugary foods and drinks (even though these may not be the best choice from a nutritional standpoint). While folks in South America may shun adding sweeteners or fruit flavoring, it's perfectly OK here in the states to add these flavorings just like you would with coffee or tea.
        A Unique History of Yerba Mate
        Yerba Mate (Ilex paraguariensis) is a small tree native to the subtropical highlands of Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina. This evergreen member of the Holly family was introduced to colonizing and modern civilizations by the Guarani Indians of these regions. The drink is brewed from the dried leaves and stemlets of this perennial tree. Yerba Mate is known as the national drink of these countries, and is consumed by millions of South Americans as a healthful alternative to coffee. This stimulating herbal beverage has the unique ability to wake up the mind without the nervousness and jitters associated with coffee. Deemed "The Drink of the Gods" by many indigenous groups in South America, and known as "the green gold of the Indios" by folks in Europe, Yerba Mate possesses a multitude of health benefits that have begun to attract the attention of American scientists and consumers.
        Yerba Mate and Diet Pill Information

        Download a free White Paper on Yerba Mate
        This paper addresses issues relating to health benefits, side effects, pregnancy, and the mateine vs. caffeine debate. (updated 2/25/06)
        (File is in PDF format. Requires Acrobat Reader)
        Twist Logo
        Aviva, Ltd.
        yerba tea drinker
        Sign-up to receive monthly specials!

        Email:
        Name:
        • Sustains Energy Levels • Induces Mental Clarity
        • Provides Antioxidants • Boosts Immune System
        • After Workout Rejuvenator • Coffee Alternative
        Featured Product
        Argentine Organic (1lb)

        Price: $7.00 each
        BUY NOW!
        Featured Product
        Wild Harvest (1lb)

        Price: $12.50 each
        BUY NOW!
        Featured Product
        Gourmet Nutrition

        An ebook containing recipes, cooking tips and strategies for a winning body!
        BUY NOW!
        Healthy Living Magazines

        cal <calisgon@...> wrote:
        Hi Dave,

        Very interesting.  I can see how the narrow neck would not sell weel, but the wide would.  The new Bodum's narrow neck gasket works on some of the old pots.  The wide gaskets however go bad more quickly and there seems to be no source for them.  If I can not find any wide neck gaskets it is possible to make them using silicone since it is a cold cure material and the mold can be made out of wood.  I've been looking for a source of the proper grade silicone sold in small quantity.

        Gary

        You will find that company in the "Links" section. I was one of the
        guys helping the company put these together 7-8 years ago. I
        approached the company to make replacement gaskets and in the process
        I gave the owner a wide and narrow mouth Silex pot. The one he has
        pictured is one that he picked up at some later date as the ones I
        gave him for helping out were much nicer. He sucked up the tooling
        costs for the narrow version but since the narrow ones haven't really
        sold very well I doubt he'd do a run of the wide mouth variety unless
        he sees money up front for the whole 300. As it is, I'm sure he still
        has plenty of the narrow gaskets.

        Dave

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, cal <calisgon@.. .> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > In my endless search for replacement gaskets I found the below
        company that at least has the small mouth gaskets made out of
        silicone. They want an order of 300 to make any new ones at probably
        $12 each. Anyone have 300 or so Cory pots that might be ineterested
        <grin>

        > http://www.cb- molding.com/ store/AntiqueCof feeGasket. cfm
        >

        > Gary

      • Peter Mumford
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2007
          Create awareness yes, MErCHANDISE NO!

          RICHARD HARVEY <arkserve@...> wrote:
[...]

        • [   Home  |   Secure Online Store  |   Contact Us  |   Wholesale Inquiries  |   Links   ]
          Statements within these pages have not been evaluated by the FDA.
          This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
          © Copyright 2002-2005. All rights reserved. Aviva, Ltd.
          Website Optimized for Get Firefox!

          1024 X 768 Resolution

          cal <calisgon@yahoo. com> wrote:
          Hi Dave,

          Very interesting.  I can see how the narrow neck would not sell weel, but the wide would.  The new Bodum's narrow neck gasket works on some of the old pots.  The wide gaskets however go bad more quickly and there seems to be no source for them.  If I can not find any wide neck gaskets it is possible to make them using silicone since it is a cold cure material and the mold can be made out of wood.  I've been looking for a source of the proper grade silicone sold in small quantity.

          Gary

          You will find that company in the "Links" section. I was one of the
          guys helping the company put these together 7-8 years ago. I
          approached the company to make replacement gaskets and in the process
          I gave the owner a wide and narrow mouth Silex pot. The one he has
          pictured is one that he picked up at some later date as the ones I
          gave him for helping out were much nicer. He sucked up the tooling
          costs for the narrow version but since the narrow ones haven't really
          sold very well I doubt he'd do a run of the wide mouth variety unless
          he sees money up front for the whole 300. As it is, I'm sure he still
          has plenty of the narrow gaskets.

          Dave

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, cal <calisgon@.. .> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > In my endless search for replacement gaskets I found the below
          company that at least has the small mouth gaskets made out of
          silicone. They want an order of 300 to make any new ones at probably
          $12 each. Anyone have 300 or so Cory pots that might be ineterested
          <grin>

          > http://www.cb- molding.com/ store/AntiqueCof feeGasket. cfm
          >

          > Gary

          always stay connected to friends.

        • RICHARD HARVEY

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2007
              Here comes the spammers in sheep's clothing.

              You will find that company in the "Links" section. I was one of the
              guys helping the company put these together 7-8 years ago. I
              approached the company to make replacement gaskets and in the process
              I gave the owner a wide and narrow mouth Silex pot. The one he has
              pictured is one that he picked up at some later date as the ones I
              gave him for helping out were much nicer. He sucked up the tooling
              costs for the narrow version but since the narrow ones haven't really
              sold very well I doubt he'd do a run of the wide mouth variety unless
              he sees money up front for the whole 300. As it is, I'm sure he still
              has plenty of the narrow gaskets.

              Dave

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, cal <calisgon@.. .> wrote:

              > Hello everyone,
              >
              > In my endless search for replacement gaskets I found the below
              company that at least has the small mouth gaskets made out of
              silicone. They want an order of 300 to make any new ones at probably
              $12 each. Anyone have 300 or so Cory pots that might be ineterested
              <grin>

              > http://www.cb- molding.com/ store/AntiqueCof feeGasket. cfm
              >

              > Gary

            • RICHARD HARVEY
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2007
                That's ridiculous. There is no spamming possible here. It came directly from my personal email. I was reading the article, just had been reading yours and I'm a member, just hadn't written in awhile. I copied, cut and pasted it. Sometimes with these websites everything comes along. And since I'm a doctor with my Phd. in Nutrition and Microbiology and happen to know that coffee is a leading cause of many diseases and I like to help people, I was just trying to turn people onto a healthy alternative, that's as satisfying.. There is no way I am a spammer and if you would have thought about it would have realized it...but you didn't but you just decided to think the worst. Its okay, that's seems pretty normal....do it myself sometime and actually thought I might engender that kind of response daring to introduce something new....and superior...People don't like change. Won't bother anymore unless someone wants to write directly. Have a nice day. And actually I'm not a sheep, more of an otter. Mary

                cal <calisgon@...> wrote:
                Here comes the spammers in sheep's clothing.

                You will find that company in the "Links" section. I was one of the
                guys helping the company put these together 7-8 years ago. I
                approached the company to make replacement gaskets and in the process
                I gave the owner a wide and narrow mouth Silex pot. The one he has
                pictured is one that he picked up at some later date as the ones I
                gave him for helping out were much nicer. He sucked up the tooling
                costs for the narrow version but since the narrow ones haven't really
                sold very well I doubt he'd do a run of the wide mouth variety unless
                he sees money up front for the whole 300. As it is, I'm sure he still
                has plenty of the narrow gaskets.

                Dave

                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, cal <calisgon@.. .> wrote:

                > Hello everyone,
                >
                > In my endless search for replacement gaskets I found the below
                company that at least has the small mouth gaskets made out of
                silicone. They want an order of 300 to make any new ones at probably
                $12 each. Anyone have 300 or so Cory pots that might be ineterested
                <grin>

                > http://www.cb- molding.com/ store/AntiqueCof feeGasket. cfm
                >

                > Gary

              • Peter Mumford
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 14, 2007
                  Hey Mary,

                  Not to worry. That can happen and I believe you have the best intentions at heart.

                  This is great! You've engendered a lively discussion. Superior seems like an opinion. Alot of research seems to point to the beneficial effects of coffee.drinking. There is newer research pointing to the affects of the onset of Parkinson's, liver protection and many other diseases. I'm interested in your research in these areas as well as anything you've read about the benefits of Yerba Mate. I've enjoyed it occasionally though I prefer the complexity of flavor in  coffee. Sea otter???

                  Peter

                  RICHARD HARVEY <arkserve@...> wrote:
                  That's ridiculous. There is no spamming possible here. It came directly from my personal email. I was reading the article, just had been reading yours and I'm a member, just hadn't written in awhile. I copied, cut and pasted it. Sometimes with these websites everything comes along. And since I'm a doctor with my Phd. in Nutrition and Microbiology and happen to know that coffee is a leading cause of many diseases and I like to help people, I was just trying to turn people onto a healthy alternative, that's as satisfying.. There is no way I am a spammer and if you would have thought about it would have realized it...but you didn't but you just decided to think the worst. Its okay, that's seems pretty normal....do it myself sometime and actually thought I might engender that kind of response daring to introduce something new....and superior...People don't like change. Won't bother anymore unless someone wants to write directly. Have a nice day. And actually I'm not a sheep, more of an otter. Mary

                  cal <calisgon@yahoo. com> wrote:
                  Here comes the spammers in sheep's clothing.

                  You will find that company in the "Links" section. I was one of the
                  guys helping the company put these together 7-8 years ago. I
                  approached the company to make replacement gaskets and in the process
                  I gave the owner a wide and narrow mouth Silex pot. The one he has
                  pictured is one that he picked up at some later date as the ones I
                  gave him for helping out were much nicer. He sucked up the tooling
                  costs for the narrow version but since the narrow ones haven't really
                  sold very well I doubt he'd do a run of the wide mouth variety unless
                  he sees money up front for the whole 300. As it is, I'm sure he still
                  has plenty of the narrow gaskets.

                  Dave

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, cal <calisgon@.. .> wrote:

                  > Hello everyone,
                  >
                  > In my endless search for replacement gaskets I found the below
                  company that at least has the small mouth gaskets made out of
                  silicone. They want an order of 300 to make any new ones at probably
                  $12 each. Anyone have 300 or so Cory pots that might be ineterested
                  <grin>

                  > http://www.cb- molding.com/ store/AntiqueCof feeGasket. cfm
                  >

                  > Gary

                  It's here! Your new message!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 14, 2007
                    Hi Mary,

                    At least you woke up the dead..

                    Lets everyone take a deep breath and relax.

                    Yes the letter gave me pause when I saw it, too
                    commerical looking for my taste. But then I looked
                    over your note and remebered that you had joined us
                    telling about your use of the vacuum pots to brew the
                    Yerba Mate instead of coffee. So I knew it was a
                    legitimate note with an attachment which in hine site
                    might have been better linked too

                    I doubt that you will do that again.. We appreciate
                    all opinions on the use of Vac pots, and no doubt our
                    link section has similar references to commerical
                    items available to repair or brew in our pots. Maybe
                    thats where it should have ended up?

                    The other day we had a real Spammer join simply to
                    put on some radical stuff and hopefully leave.. I did
                    remove the letter as well as the person.

                    I realize you were trying to share with the rest of us
                    your interest, not just sneak in an sell something as
                    some have eluded too. I have seen some of those groups
                    where spammers have completely taken over and it is
                    not a pretty site. Messages which originate only to
                    sell or make a point about something not related to
                    our interest will be removed when I catch them. You
                    can't catch them till they post it unfortunately. We
                    have probably all learned something here, its fine to
                    make a link for those who may wish to try something
                    for them selves, a outright copy of advertisements
                    could lead to more of the same and we really don't
                    want that.

                    Please stay with us, your research is of interest to
                    many here I am sure. I only wish we could get those
                    quick responses from people when things get dull or
                    someone ask a question. Sharing our hobby was supposed
                    to be the idea here. Lately no one is bothering. At
                    least I know some are still reading what they get even
                    if we never hear from them.

                    Larry Hollenberg
                    Moderator

                    === message truncated ===

                  • cal
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 14, 2007
                      No problems, just dont include a page that is all marketing.  There are many many good non-marketing documents on Yerba available on the web.  People are just sick of marketing and a nice forum like this should be without it.  Perhaps you just entered the wrong parlor at the wrong time - you know us coffee drinkers are a bada** crowd justa a wyten for a fightz.  <grin>

                      Gary

                      Young <SPAN id=Yerba Plant" src="http://www.yerba-mate.com/graphics/youngmateleaf2.jpg" align="right"> Folks across the United States embark on a daily morning ritual to obtain their caffeine fix. This "fix" usually comes in the form of a hot beverage known as coffee. Coffee is a pick-me-up favorite in offices worldwide, but North Americans typically consume a larger amount of coffee per capita than any other country. In the States, you'll hear "Let's meet over a cup of coffee" or "I've got to get my cup of coffee before I do anything!". However, our neighbors to the south have a different perspective on energizing beverages. In South America, the morning and afternoon beverage of choice is Yerba Mate. In fact, mate bars are as prevelant in South American countries as coffee bars are here in the states. According to a survey conducted by IBOPE Argentina, yerba mate boasts a 92% household consumption rate in Argentina. Yerba Mate, like coffee, is available in different flavors and prepared in various ways. Mate from the various growing regions of South America possess distinct tastes and flavors unique to each area.

                      <SPAN id=yerba tea drinker" src="http://www.yerba-mate.com/graphics/gauchomate.jpg">
[...]

                      Website Optimized for Get <SPAN id=Firefox!" src="http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/80x15/white_2.gif" border="0">

                      1024 X 768 Resolution

                      cal <calisgon@yahoo. com> wrote:
                      Hi Dave,

                      Very interesting.  I can see how the narrow neck would not sell weel, but the wide would.  The new Bodum's narrow neck gasket works on some of the old pots.  The wide gaskets however go bad more quickly and there seems to be no source for them.  If I can not find any wide neck gaskets it is possible to make them using silicone since it is a cold cure material and the mold can be made out of wood.  I've been looking for a source of the proper grade silicone sold in small quantity.

                      Gary

                      You will find that company in the "Links" section. I was one of the
                      guys helping the company put these together 7-8 years ago. I
                      approached the company to make replacement gaskets and in the process
                      I gave the owner a wide and narrow mouth Silex pot. The one he has
                      pictured is one that he picked up at some later date as the ones I
                      gave him for helping out were much nicer. He sucked up the tooling
                      costs for the narrow version but since the narrow ones haven't really
                      sold very well I doubt he'd do a run of the wide mouth variety unless
                      he sees money up front for the whole 300. As it is, I'm sure he still
                      has plenty of the narrow gaskets.

                      Dave

                      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcoll ector@yahoogroup s.com, cal <calisgon@.. .> wrote:

                      > Hello everyone,
                      >
                      > In my endless search for replacement gaskets I found the below
                      company that at least has the small mouth gaskets made out of
                      silicone. They want an order of 300 to make any new ones at probably
                      $12 each. Anyone have 300 or so Cory pots that might be ineterested
                      <grin>

                      > http://www.cb- molding.com/ store/AntiqueCof feeGasket. cfm
                      >

                      > Gary

                    • 1buddaman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 5, 2013
                        Hey All,

                        Just a quick link to a gasket maker for a few vacpot models. All are food grade silicone, a little pricey but what are you gonna do, right? At least someone has put a couple of my pots back in service!

                        http://www.dayseal.com/index.html

                        Best regards,

                        Peter

                        PS. I tried this earlier and had no luck. Hope this is the correct route to take. I think some may find it useful. If I'm being redundant and someone else has informed y'all of the site. Sorry for wasting your time.
                      • David Fiore
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 5, 2013
                          BTW, while we're on the topic of parts for the Sunbeam Coffeemaster C[23]0[
                          ABC], I would just like to mention that a friend of mine, who is a
                          machinist and specializes in custom tools, was able to fashion for me a
                          gulmite head wrench This wrench is just about impossible to find on the
                          internet, and you need one if you want to remove certain screws on the pot.
                          If you're interested in getting one, let me know and I'll ask him if he
                          can make more.

                          Cheers,
                          -dbf

                          On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM, 1buddaman <punatech@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Hey All,
                          >
                          > Just a quick link to a gasket maker for a few vacpot models. All are food
                          > grade silicone, a little pricey but what are you gonna do, right? At least
                          > someone has put a couple of my pots back in service!
                          >
                          > http://www.dayseal.com/index.html
                          >
                          > Best regards,
                          >
                          > Peter
                          >
                          > PS. I tried this earlier and had no luck. Hope this is the correct route
                          > to take. I think some may find it useful. If I'm being redundant and
                          > someone else has informed y'all of the site. Sorry for wasting your time.

                        • John A.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Yes, Peter. Lee Day, owner of DaySeal is a member here. He makes a quality product, and deserves high praise for making many old vac pots serviceable again. In his last post, he was toying with the idea of manufacturing disposable filters for the earlier Coffeemasters.

                            John A.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 6, 2013
                              Hi, David. I'd be a buyer, dependent upon price. I know custom work doesn't come cheap. I've always been able to remove the Gulmite screws on older Coffeemasters, but never had success trying to reinstall them because they get chewed up during removal. It is not a tool for everyday use, but when you need one there is no substitute. Keep us posted.

                              Regards, John A.

                              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, David Fiore <david@...> wrote:

                              > BTW, while we're on the topic of parts for the Sunbeam Coffeemaster C[23]0[
                              > ABC], I would just like to mention that a friend of mine, who is a
                              > machinist and specializes in custom tools, was able to fashion for me a
                              > gulmite head wrench This wrench is just about impossible to find on the
                              > internet, and you need one if you want to remove certain screws on the pot.
                              > If you're interested in getting one, let me know and I'll ask him if he
                              > can make more.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > -dbf
                            • littleb193
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 11, 2013
                                Hello David.

                                I'd also like to purchase one. Please let us know what the cost would be. A picture of what we'd be getting would be welcome as well. :)

                                Bri