Hario Miniphon 1 cup filters

  • stevem06301980
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
      Anyone know how to get the small 2" diameter flat cloth filters for
      this tiny Hario unit? They are smooth on one side and fluffy on the
      other with a hole in the center for the spring assembly. I have never
      seen a a cloth or paper filter like this one.

      Thanks,

      Steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
        Steve,

        It sounds like you could use the silex filters, they
        come up now and then on ebay. Yama uses a filter of
        the same kind of cloth I would think, but they are
        nearly twice that size. However you might be able to
        fasten one around your filter depending on how its
        made. They use a draw string to tie them on. Those
        yama filters are available I think from the fellow
        that sells the new ones on ebay also.

        I don't know if it was you or someone else I replyed
        to about this subject but if your handy they can also
        be made from cloth purchased at a fabric store, cuting
        the size circle you want and basting piece of string
        around the edges to make a way to tighten it over the
        filter. It works fine if you can't find anything else.

        Larry

        --- stevem06301980 <seq@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know how to get the small 2" diameter flat
        > cloth filters for
        > this tiny Hario unit? They are smooth on one side
        > and fluffy on the
        > other with a hole in the center for the spring
        > assembly. I have never
        > seen a a cloth or paper filter like this one.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve

        Want to start your own business?
        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
      • s_annod
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006

          Hi Steve,

          I don't know where you can get those filters, but you can improvise.  If you happen to own an Aerobie Aeropress, the paper filters work just fine.  In fact, your question inspired me to try one.  The filters are a little larger than the Hario cloth filter, but I didn't even need to trim it.  I just punched a hole in the center with the semi-pointy plastic end of the filter holder, threaded the hook and spring assembly through the hole and I was in business.  I'm sure you could use a regular paper coffee filter by cutting rounds of the same diameter as the Hario filter.

          If you don't like paper filters, you could try food grade polyester felt.  There is a fellow who frequents the coffeegeek forums that has been experimenting with it and hopes to sell rounds of it for the Aeropress.  He was kind enough to send me a sample and I decided to try cutting a piece of it for my Miniphon.  It works really well.  It is a little thicker and stiffer than the Hario cloth filter and one side of it is kind of fluffy like the Hario cloth.  You can clean and reuse it too.  There is info about his experiments here:

          Inverted Aeropressing for Better Coffee

          Good luck.

          Donna

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "stevem06301980" <seq@...> wrote:

          > Anyone know how to get the small 2" diameter flat cloth filters for
          > this tiny Hario unit? They are smooth on one side and fluffy on the
          > other with a hole in the center for the spring assembly. I have never
          > seen a a cloth or paper filter like this one.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Steve

        • jjlthree
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
            In lieu of patience, improvisation may be the key.

            I was lucky enough to by a box of 150 new, old stock Silex cloth
            filters last year. The smaller boxes come up every now and then,
            often from people who aren't sure what they are and haven't sold the
            corresponding coffee makers. I'm just making each one last to give
            myself a lifetime supply out of them - for my Silexes, Sunbeam
            Beehive and McKee.

            Friends have experimented with flannel (also fuzzy on one side and
            moderately tight weave) and they have been very happy with it.
            Imagine how many you could get from an old pillowcase, much less a
            sheet.

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "s_annod"
            <chaekyr@...> wrote:

            > Hi Steve,
            >
            > I don't know where you can get those filters, but you can
            improvise. If
            > you happen to own an Aerobie Aeropress, the paper filters work just
            > fine. In fact, your question inspired me to try one. The filters
            are a
            > little larger than the Hario cloth filter, but I didn't even need
            > trim it. I just punched a hole in the center with the semi-pointy
            > plastic end of the filter holder, threaded the hook and spring
            assembly
            > through the hole and I was in business. I'm sure you could use a
            > regular paper coffee filter by cutting rounds of the same diameter
            as
            > the Hario filter.
            >
            > If you don't like paper filters, you could try food grade polyester
            > felt. There is a fellow who frequents the coffeegeek forums that
            has
            > been experimenting with it and hopes to sell rounds of it for the
            > Aeropress. He was kind enough to send me a sample and I decided
            to try
            > cutting a piece of it for my Miniphon. It works really well. It
            is a
            > little thicker and stiffer than the Hario cloth filter and one
            side of
            > it is kind of fluffy like the Hario cloth. You can clean and
            reuse it
            > too. There is info about his experiments here:
            >
            > Inverted Aeropressing for Better Coffee

            <http://scott.marquardt.googlepages.com/invertedaeropressingforbetter
            cof\
            > fee>
            >
            > Good luck.
            >
            > Donna
            >
            > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "stevem06301980"
            > <seq@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Anyone know how to get the small 2" diameter flat cloth filters
            for
            > > this tiny Hario unit? They are smooth on one side and fluffy on
            the
            > > other with a hole in the center for the spring assembly. I have
            never
            > > seen a a cloth or paper filter like this one.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Steve

          • stevem06301980
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 12, 2006