Kent Gaskets/Filters

  • Larry J. Swiech
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2006
      Since I have joined this group as a Kent owner I detect a consensus that the main problem
      with them is that the gaskets dry out. I have been able to make a mold of the Kent gasket.
      What I am hoping is that one of the members may be able to direct me to a source of self
      curing rubber, silicone, etc. What must be kept in mind that whatever the material it must be
      food grade and able to with stand 400?F working temp. I rate the temp this high to give it a
      safety factor of 2. Also it would make no sense to use material that requires sophisticated
      equipment. I am looking for the simplicity of pouring plaster into a mold letting it cure,
      removing it, cleaning and installing it onto the pot.

      With todays range of materials I know there is something available.

      I am also in the process of molding my Kent filter. This is a little harder to do as the one I
      own is pretty chewed up, especially the threads. All this means is that I have to fill or sculpt
      the missing areas. The material for this piece could also be plastic. I am wondering also if the
      filter could not also be made from the same material as the gasket as I see no real advantage
      in porcelains rigidity. Ceramic is durable, however it is not feasible for me to buy a kiln just
      for a filter.

      I'd appreciate any information.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2006
        Larry,

        Some our members have been involved with the silex
        rubber gasket that is sold through our links page. You
        might want to explore that seller for ideas as to the
        material used. I like their gasket, but its a bit
        rubbery or something, it allows the pot to rock about
        too easily. Of course the Kent uses a larger size so
        it would be a lot more stable. Good luck with your
        project, keep us informed.

        Larry Hollenberg

        --- "Larry J. Swiech" <vigodits@...> wrote:

        > Since I have joined this group as a Kent owner I
        > detect a consensus that the main problem
        > with them is that the gaskets dry out. I have been
        > able to make a mold of the Kent gasket.
        > What I am hoping is that one of the members may be
        > able to direct me to a source of self
        > curing rubber, silicone, etc. What must be kept in
        > mind that whatever the material it must be
        > food grade and able to with stand 400?F working
        > temp. I rate the temp this high to give it a
        > safety factor of 2. Also it would make no sense to
        > use material that requires sophisticated
        > equipment. I am looking for the simplicity of
        > pouring plaster into a mold letting it cure,
        > removing it, cleaning and installing it onto the
        > pot.
        >
        > With todays range of materials I know there is
        > something available.
        >
        > I am also in the process of molding my Kent filter.
        > This is a little harder to do as the one I
        > own is pretty chewed up, especially the threads. All
        > this means is that I have to fill or sculpt
        > the missing areas. The material for this piece could
        > also be plastic. I am wondering also if the
        > filter could not also be made from the same material
        > as the gasket as I see no real advantage
        > in porcelains rigidity. Ceramic is durable, however
        > it is not feasible for me to buy a kiln just
        > for a filter.
        >
        > I'd appreciate any information.

        Want to start your own business?
        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
      • stevem06301980
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
          Larry,

          I could not find the silex gasket link -help!

          thanks,

          steve

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
            Steve,

            On the home page click on the links word in the left
            side box. The item is listed as Narrow Neck Silex
            Replacement Gaskets.

            Larry

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • vacpotaddict
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
              Larry,

              I've done some molding over the years but they were resin pieces with
              silicone molds. Molding silicone itself at a minimum will require a
              vacuum pot or chamber to degas the silicone or you will end up with a
              lot of bubbles in the casting. Also, it's advisable to cast under
              pressure as well. The silicone that I've used for my molds is
              definitely not food safe but I'm sure there are varieties available
              but I would imagine even those are caustic until completely cured.

              Regarding the Silex gasket being soft... that's a characteristic of
              the silicone and without some type of embedded rigid structure there's
              no way around it.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
                Well disaster has struck.
                As I previously mentioned my Kent filter was pretty chewed up. Particularly the threads
                that the ball screws onto. Now I had devised an elaborate ritual for removing the filter
                from the top so that there was no way that if the filter came apart it could trash the top
                pot. What I never anticipated was that it would spontaneously disassemble over the lower
                pot. So until further notice I am out of the vac pot business. And just as I was getting used
                to making really good green tea with it. Oh well God works in mysterious ways.

                Lj

                --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "vacpotaddict" <vacpotaddict@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29, 2006
                  Larry,

                  Sorry about your disaster. I had a similar experience
                  with a porcelain Kent filter. I didn't know they
                  could come apart so easily. Actually I have several
                  that don't seem to come apart at all. But not till I
                  had the same thing happen, only mine wrecked the top
                  pot. Kent also used a cloth filter which won't break
                  the pot, but I think the porcelain one is superior in
                  the end product.
                  Hope your back into the vac pot use soon!

                  http://mail.yahoo.com