Newbie questions.

  • Russ
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
      Found in my shop, a vacumm coffee maker of unknown brand or age. It is
      in good condition but seems to be missing some parts. The parts I do
      have consist of the lower bowl or carafe, the upper bowl with the part
      that extends in to the lower, the rubber gasket that goes between the
      bowls and a spring and hook device that I image holds the filter in
      place in the upper bowl.

      My questions of course are what other parts do I need to make this
      work, and just how does it operate? Another one is that as I am a tea
      drinker, how would this device work for brewing tea?

      Thanks to Larry for the link to this group.
    • Russ

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
          Hi Russ,

          Welcome,

          You might go to the photos section and find your
          coffee maker. I also have added some instructions for
          vac pots in my Album called Instructions for coffee
          makers you will no doubt find something that will give
          you a good idea of how it works. Is your spring and
          hook device an open wire sort of mushroom shaped item,
          or is it the spring with a porcelain piece on top, or
          could even be with a glass top? If its the plain wire
          kind of filter with a hook on the bottom you will need
          a cloth filter to fit it. Usually they either had
          elastic in the edge to hold it over the filter or a
          small string that you tied it on with. If we had a
          better idea of which filter you have it would help.
          If the seal isn't working the pot won't function
          right. Put water in the lower pot and place the top
          on and twist slightly while pushing gently down. If
          you put it over a gas flame, or a electric burner with
          a heat defuser wire it should make the water go into
          the top and then brew as the call it. It will bubble
          around till you remove it from the heat then it will
          come back down. If I am not mistaken one of the
          instruction sets probably has tea making suggestions
          also. I may not have put that up yet don't really
          recall.
          Let us know what happens.

          Larry

          --- Russ <springer91@...> wrote:

          > Found in my shop, a vacumm coffee maker of unknown
          > brand or age. It is
          > in good condition but seems to be missing some
          > parts. The parts I do
          > have consist of the lower bowl or carafe, the upper
          > bowl with the part
          > that extends in to the lower, the rubber gasket that
          > goes between the
          > bowls and a spring and hook device that I image
          > holds the filter in
          > place in the upper bowl.
          >
          > My questions of course are what other parts do I
          > need to make this
          > work, and just how does it operate? Another one is
          > that as I am a tea
          > drinker, how would this device work for brewing tea?
          >

          > Thanks to Larry for the link to this group.

          (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
        • Russ
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
            More info: Found the maker's name and possible model on the band
            around the lower bowl. Silex Family Coffee Maker. Glass bowls upper
            and lower. The rubber gasket seems to be in good shape still soft
            and flexible. The filter holder is a spiral spring (could be called
            mushroom shaped) that curls inward to a long straight section that
            fits down the siphon tube, it has a hook on the end and a small
            dangle piece to allow it to be pulled through and hooked to the
            bottom of the siphon. The way the spring fits into the base of the
            upper bowl at the top of the siphon (there is a recessed section)
            suggests to me a cloth filter. I'll be trying it tonight with an
            improvised filter.

            It looks as if these makers are becoming more popular. Anyboby know
            of a supplier of filters in Oregon?

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg

            _______________

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
              Russ,

              That is a generic filter. You can also use the silex
              and cory glass rods with it, they are on ebay all the
              time. Also silex made a porcelain one that takes a
              cloth if you want that kind of filter. The one you
              have is about the least easy to use because of its odd
              shape. If you know any one handy with a sewing
              machine you can actually make a round filter cloth and
              sew a small cotton string in the hem to draw it tight.
              It would be easier to use the glass ones. Also silex
              made a porcelain one that doen't need a cloth, a photo
              of one of those is in my album.

              Larry

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
                Larry,

                Thanks for the info, for right now will work with the cloth filter.

                Tried it out using one of the paper filters from the drip maker we
                have. Placed the filter loosely over the spring and twisted it
                around underneath. My only concern was that the filter might
                restrict the flow too much. Not a problem, sat and watched it
                through the whole process. Was surprized to see the water transfer
                up the siphon faster as the level dropped in the lower bowl. And
                became so fasinated by the "mad scientist" boiling in the maker that
                I delayed taking it off the heat. My wife (the coffee drinker in my
                family) was very pleased by the smoothness and lack of bitterness. I
                tasted it and though it good also. The only problem I forsee is the
                cleanup being a little more involved.

                In addition to finding the vacuum coffee maker, we also have a cold
                coffee concentrate extractor on its way to us and for my teas a new
                electric samovar. Plus the 30 cup perculator for our boarders. We
                are really looking forward to experimenting with different brews and
                methods.

                Russ

                <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                > Russ,
                >
                > That is a generic filter. You can also use the silex
                > and cory glass rods with it, they are on ebay all the
                > time. Also silex made a porcelain one that takes a
                > cloth if you want that kind of filter. The one you
                > have is about the least easy to use because of its odd
                > shape. If you know any one handy with a sewing
                > machine you can actually make a round filter cloth and
                > sew a small cotton string in the hem to draw it tight.
                > It would be easier to use the glass ones. Also silex
                > made a porcelain one that doen't need a cloth, a photo
                > of one of those is in my album.
                >
                > Larry

              • RICHARD HARVEY

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2006
                    Russ,

                    I think with a bit of time you will hit a routine to
                    cleaning them up. Although as I mentioned the cloth
                    filter will take more effort. With the glass or
                    porcelain types a quick dash under the faucett will
                    do the job. For cleaning the upper bowl I put it over
                    a quart or larger container like a tupperware upright
                    freezer container and then run the water into the top,
                    I swish it around to loosed the grounds, pull the
                    glass filter out and leave the grounds and water go in
                    to the container. Very easy. the ones with the cloth
                    take more time an if they aren't kept really clean
                    impart a taint to the coffee very quickly I think.
                    On tip I find helpful and use more than I used to, is
                    to preheat the lower water before adding the top. If
                    you get it reasonably hot, like barely making small
                    bubbles, but not boiling. you get better coffee. Many
                    of the makers at times will raise the water too fast
                    and make tepid coffee that has no flavor. It takes
                    some luck to hit the exact right combination. My
                    coffee this morning is awfull. I used the same beans I
                    have usually liked, but let the water come to boil
                    before putting the top on or letting it cool a little.
                    It taste nasty and sort of burnt. Wouldn't think that
                    could make that much difference but it seemed too.
                    Some day pick up a Kent with a Porcelain filter, they
                    clean very easy and seem to make pretty good coffee.

                    I also don't know if you have the narrow neck silex or
                    the wide? The narrow would be more of a pain to
                    clean. I use a wooded spoon handle and a wash cloth
                    pushed partly into the narrow opening to clean it out,
                    then swish it about with hot water afterwards.

                    Larry

                    (http://voice.yahoo.com)