4291Thought on drip pots.

  • larryhollenb
    Jun 23, 2014

      Hello All,

      Over time I have tired every type of various coffee drip pots I think. I like the tricolator older versions and just found a couple nice ceramic pots by hall in a bright green and another called the Million Dollar pot by hall for a chicago company. Its a deep royal blue, rather striking. As usual I will probably play with them a while and when the space gets tight I will possibly sell them.  The thing about tricolator is they used a paper filter which is fine, but some times can also tend to be too slow to brew due to sediment stalling the process.  (obviously a better grind will help that)..

      For some time I avoided trying one of the old heavy aluminum drip Guardian Service pots.  Then one day I found a nice one reasonable and purchased it. It has the extra metal flat part that sits inside the bottom and strains the coffee though to the pot.  I found that it fits the older Tricolator and many other drip pots. I think that Jewel Tea type pots also used that filter in metal.  I like it because it usually lets the water though at a good enough rate that the coffee doesn't get a odd taste which sometimes happens when it takes too long to go though the grounds.  I noticed that on ebay those Guardian service pots or even just the top which should contain that part go pretty cheap compared to what shops ask for them.

      While I am at this I want to also give a nod to the Silex Drip that uses a vacuum type set of containers only the top has the bottom such that there is no uptake tube, just an open two or so inch hole. Over that sits a ceramic filter designed to take a cloth cover. (I hope I never break that top or filter, I haven't seen another yet).  At first I didn't think much of it as I usually tired to make a smaller batch of coffee. But after a while I found that using a standard rather fine packaged coffee, enough for 4 or 5 cups, then letting the boiling water just wet the grounds a minute or so, finally pouring all the water in ends up slowing down the water and still produces a very good coffee.  Its still fast, I see the instructions says it would take about 5 minutes or so but generally a nearly full pot will be empty on top after maybe 3 minutes?  The instructions say it would produce a clear and clean tasting coffee. They are right about that when everything works just so.

      That pot uses a cloth filter of which one came with it. It may be the same filter the Silex Perk took but not sure of that. It has a about an inch hole in the center of the cloth an then stretches around the filter with a drawstring to tighten it.  I used to think cloth filters were nasty as I had only tired old silex type filters and most of them led to a musty tasting coffee after the first try.. I made my own for those and several vacuum pots an keep them as they suggest in a small jelly mason jar with a plastic top, they have stayed perfectly useable for going on a year now.  I would never have thought that could be, and the results are fine and in some ways different than a paper filter.

      Larry