4282Re: [vacpot] Re: replacement gasket for Cory ACB automatic....are they available?

  • P Wilh
    Jun 20, 2014

      Hello-

      I think you might be better off applying a thin layer of food safe RTV on top of the old gasket, versus using a rubber restorative. While such products are okay for tape decks and other applications, most contain solvents like xylene or toluene, which are known carcinogens.

      As an alternative, you could try reconditioning the gasket by repeated applications of sweet oil, which is a tasteless/odorless pharmaceutical grade of olive oil (used for ear aches). I've had fair to limited success with that, but generally once the hardening begins its almost impossible to reverse.

      Is there a part number embossed on your seal? Its very possible that its the same one used on the Nicros and you could get a replacement from Dayseal.

      Good luck. Paul

      On Jun 20, 2014 5:44 AM, "lpdintenfass@... [vacuumcoffeepotcollector]" <vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello Larry,

      Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find a Silex glass filter rod with a shorter spring assembly. In the meantime, I've concluded after several more trials that the problem with stalling I was experiencing was in fact due to a poor seal. If I seat the upper vessel very firmly in the Cory ACB base, I have no trouble with stalling when using either the original or the "new" Cory glass filter rod (with the same pre-ground coffee). The seal is slightly hardened, but has no cracks. I am going to try to see if a rubber restorer product such as "Fedron" [used by audio/visual repair people to clean/dress rubber capstan rollers] might help. Folks in this group have mentioned using gasket products such as Permatex RTV but I am going to see if the rubber restorer might help.

      Regards,
      Lenny

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic