      From: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of pawilh
      Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 12:54 PM
      To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [vacpot] Re: Random thoughts on coffee pots.

      I've never heard about scalding cookware before use, but I have seen some
      factory instructions for aluminum-ware recommending a similar procedure to
      remove any cutting oils that might have been splashed onto it during the
      manufacturing process. Have not seen it as part of a recipe--

      What kind of cookware was used during the 1800's? I'm thinking mainly cast
      iron? Maybe the scalding was to clean out the remnants of the last food
      cooked in there before you made the coffee. Old timers/purists claim you
      don't need to wash it very often once it's seasoned, just brush out the
      crumbs and such.

      And I can confirm the paper perc filters, I have some here made by Melitta.
      They are square in shape with five pre-punched holes. They insert onto the
      stem in the perc basket, coffee is loaded, and then the flaps fold over and
      also attach to the stem before the top is put on.

      Still looking at grinders btw--

      Happy Easter.

      Paul

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "larry h"
      <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

      > One thing I have wondered when reading many old cooking suggestions for
      coffee is to "Scald" the pot before pouring in the water.. What do you think
      that accomplishes? Does it perhaps eliminate the metallic taste that
      aluminum pots can have if not used regularly?

      > The other thought is more of a tip.. In using various kinds of coffee
      makers I not having a running water system have always hated removing the
      grounds from coffee makers of various types. The deep recesses of the drip
      pots that don't use a separate basket under the water container are among
      the ones I fought with to remove grounds. Even the perk baskets can be a
      pain to remove grounds from without making a mess. What I finally hit on was
      when I got a small 5 quart pail with a handle. Now I simply add water about
      two thirds deep and drip the coffee maker parts with most of the grounds
      dumped out on some newspaper into it and a few simple twist around in the
      water an the grounds come quickly out without much fuss. I then toss the
      water and grounds on the grass or flower beds.