3480Re: Kory Dru

  • lobsterboy582000
    Apr 16, 2012
      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Hartmann" <opinicize@...> wrote:

      > P.S.: I'm sure there's something, or will be something, for sale on e-bay, but I don't want to go that route. It rankles me that people are picking up things they can't identify at garage sales, then taking a picture and charging an astronomical amount for the item. On top of that, I have seen a lot of $10.00 shipping charges for items that weigh a few ounces. For example, I collect vintage Tupperware, just for fun. The pieces I find for $.79 are selling for $30.00 - $40.00 plus $10.00 shipping.

      The Kory Dru is not a coveted last piece to a collection I'm obsessed with completing, so I don't want to go to extraordinary lengths to buy a filter. I'm not interested in a $2.00 coffee maker with a $15.00 filter. Just sayin'. But if there is another way to do this, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

      I don't get rankled by unduly high opening bids on ebay items, I would already have some idea of the relative value of the item and I wouldn't bid, basic buyer beware. Those sellers are wasting their own time, imo.

      I do a little buying and selling vintage too (including tupperware), I always offer shipping options, pack economically and charge only actual shipping cost. Again, when bidding on ebay, I consider shipping options as part of total cost.

      Anyway, about the coffeemaker. A look at ebay purchase history shows a constant stream of Cory rods going by, some inexplicably get bid up, others go for $.99 (plus shipping). So, no extraordinary lengths or expense necessary to get the appropriate filter, just patience. Heck, you might find one at a thrift store.

      However, I will suggest that your unwillingness to commit $17 to vacuum-brewed coffee tells me your interest is too low, why bother?

      I discovered vacuum brewing years ago when I was researching coffee science. For me, it's the best extraction method (next to espresso, which is a different thing).

      Now I roast and hand grind my own coffee beans three times a week, and brew in one of 30 or so vintage vacpots I have. Even though I have an absurd number of them, if I saw your $2 Cory in a thrift store, I would have bought that too, lol.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic