3232Re: Coffee Grinder - was Re: [vacpot] Re: remove melted rubber

    Sep 6, 2011
      Brian,

      I have noticed of late that a few companies seem to produce a coffee with less of that very fine grind in them. I have been trying out the Chock full o Nuts coffee from New York. They come in tins still and the grind seems to be somewhat larger than the normal I see.  I have used the grinders at various markets as well and if you set them to the mid or high range of drip often they are coarse enough not to stall.

      From: Brian Helfrich <bhelfric@...>
      To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:06 AM
      Subject: Coffee Grinder - was Re: [vacpot] Re: remove melted rubber

      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Kyle" <hoodoorocket@...>
      > wrote:

      [Snip]

      >> Found a NIB cory stovetop with the ground glass seal and glass filter
      >> rod. I assumed it would be better than the cruder cheaper McKee, but I
      >> have never been able to coax good coffee from it, now matter how coarse
      >> or fine I grind.

      I have found that using a blade grinder instead of a burr grinder leaves too
      much powder in the grinds for the Cory glass filter rods and they tend to
      stall.

      Back in the day, the local supermarkets had burr grinders - like the 8
      O'clock coffee grinders. The pre-ground canned coffee wasn't powdery
      either. Perhaps as an experiment you could find a store with a burr grinder
      and try a bag.

      I bought an original Hobart grinder off eBay awhile back and have had good
      results with the Cory glass rods. Folks here have mentioned reconditioned
      Barista burr grinders are available for ~ $ 69.

      Brian