      From: larry h
      To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:30 PM
      Subject: [vacpot] Removing odor from stainless pots.

      Hello All,

      This is a general question not a vacpot question, but I know many of us dabble in all sorts of coffee makers. I picked up a Edison Siphonator recently. It still works to my amazement, and when it balked after about a week of working I discovered how wonderfully simple edison constructed the thermostat. None of the tedious adjustments you see in later ones. Cleaned a dirty contact and it was up an working perfectly.

      However, after using it for a few brews the container the coffee goes in, which is about 4 inches across and 9 or so inches deep develops a sort of stale coffee odor which so far has resisted permeant removal. I tired running baking soda though it, soaking it with hot water and cream of tarter, scrubbing like crazy and still after a few pots when you taste the coffee it becomes a bit stale or off tasting and the same effect is found in sniffing the coffee part of the pot. It seems to be made of all stainless from what I can tell. I wash it with soap and water after each use and leave the top off so it can air out good, but still it stays. I made a pot of coffee in my aluminum percolator to see if it produced the same kind of smell but it doesn't or its very faint at best.

      Any ideas why its doing this and how to remove it?