Re: Help! First Timer

  • jpkasich
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 22, 2010
      One minor correction. The wild-leg or high-leg should be more like approx. 220v to ground or less. Not 240v. That is the manufactured leg from the phase converter. The other two legs should be the same voltage as was input into the phase converter which is approx. 120v.

      --- In v2xt@yahoogroups.com, "jpkasich" <jpkasich@...> wrote:

      > If you test each leg to ground, two of them will be approx. 120v and the third will be approx. 240v to ground. The 240v to ground is you wild. The Bridgeport setup manual that came with my machine states to put the "wild" leg at the L1 position if using a delta 3 phase power supply.
      >
      > I set mine to 230v and 240v but I'm not sure that is the correct answer.
      >

      > --- In v2xt@yahoogroups.com, "wd32c" <wd32c@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Yes I have all the manuals.
      > > The small transformer is 208 or 230 - the large 208,230 or 245.Should I set them both for 230 or 230 and 245?
      > > George, how do I identify the "wild" leg? Can I do it with a meter? I've borrowed a good one. I am wondering about the variation in voltage between the legs.
      > > --- In v2xt@yahoogroups.com, MACHINTEK@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Bridgeport never liked phase converters and even issued a service bulletin that the warranty would be voided if one was put on it.
      > > > But that is not the real world.
      > > > I have put quite a few on rotary phase converters. They have to be sized correctly.
      > > > AND I USUALLY REWIRE THE ELECTRICAL CABINET SO THE 2 GOOD LEGS GO TO THE CONTROL AND DRIVES. This includes the transformers. The wild/artificial leg only goes to the spindle motor. You will have a lot less problems that way. I believe the small transformer only goes up to 230 while the larger one goes to 240.
      > > >
      > > > George

    • wd32c
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 22, 2010
        I found the converter voltage to be 216v,120v,123v. The 3 passable line combinations 236v,243v,252v. Set the Transformers at 230v and 245v, set the "wild leg" at L1. This has cured the drive faults!
        All is well except over travel homing the X. I was told dirty switches was a common occurrence with this machine,and that the dirty one may or may not be the one "called out".I had previously cleaned the X switch.
        I had also changed out the X drive motor, now see in the manual a section on Synchronizing the drive, will try this next.
        I can't thank you guys enough.

      • MACHINTEK@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 22, 2010
          If switch is good try moving the home dog to be seen .050 inches sooner.

          George

          I found the converter voltage to be 216v,120v,123v. The 3 passable line combinations 236v,243v,252v. Set the Transformers at 230v and 245v, set the "wild leg" at L1. This has cured the drive faults!
          All is well except over travel homing the X. I was told dirty switches was a common occurrence with this machine,and that the dirty one may or may not be the one "called out".I had previously cleaned the X switch.
          I had also changed out the X drive motor, now see in the manual a section on Synchronizing the drive, will try this next.
          I can't thank you guys enough.

          --- In v2xt@yahoogroups.com, "jpkasich" <jpkasich@...> wrote:

          > One minor correction. The wild-leg or high-leg should be more like approx. 220v to ground or less. Not 240v. That is the manufactured leg from the phase converter. The other two legs should be the same voltage as was input into the phase converter which is approx. 120v.
          >
          > --- In v2xt@yahoogroups.com, "jpkasich" <jpkasich@> wrote:
          > >
          > > If you test each leg to ground, two of them will be approx. 120v and the third will be approx. 240v to ground. The 240v to ground is you wild. The Bridgeport setup manual that came with my machine states to put the "wild" leg at the L1 position if using a delta 3 phase power supply.
          > >
          > > I set mine to 230v and 240v but I'm not sure that is the correct answer.
          > >

          > > --- In v2xt@yahoogroups.com, "wd32c" <wd32c@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Yes I have all the manuals.
          > > > The small transformer is 208 or 230 - the large 208,230 or 245.Should I set them both for 230 or 230 and 245?
          > > > George, how do I identify the "wild" leg? Can I do it with a meter? I've borrowed a good one. I am wondering about the variation in voltage between the legs.

        • jpkasich
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 22, 2010
            Glad things worked out for you. I went through most of the same issues and headaches just recently.
            Although Bridgeport suggest placing the high-leg on L1, if you notice on the schematic, L1 does feed more than just the spindle. As MACHINTEK mentioned, some have rewired theirs so that the high-leg only feeds the spindle. I haven't been that adventurous myself but it couldn't hurt to help protect the more sensitive computer equipment from the voltage fluctuations the manufactured leg can go through. Since Bridgeport does actually mention a delta 3 phase input possibility in the set-up booklet and suggests the placement of the high-leg on L1, I'm not too concerned about rewiring right away.

            To answer one of your questions from before, it's now coming back to me. I originally set my input transformers to both be at 230v but when I preformed the voltage checks at various places within the cabinet as suggested in chapter 2 of the maintenance manual, I was seeing higher then tolerance voltages until I switched the one transformer to 245v. Then, everything measured perfect.

            After you get everything running the way you like, and if your are like me and can't leave well enough alone, it's then time to install Windows 98, USB and ethernet ports and a mouse!

            Take care,

            Justyn

          • wd32c
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 22, 2010
              I was unable to fully understand and follow the manual's procedure for synchronization. fussed around with what I thought they were saying,got it close and tried moving the dog which worked. Had I read your post sooner George, I could have saved myself some time.
              Thanks again