Re: So, let me get this straight....

  • home_machinist
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2008
      Luke-
      With the proper hardware/software, mach3 can be used to control
      ±10vdc drives.

      There are some Digital to Analog converters out there that convert
      step/direction to analog and have encoder inputs that close the servo
      loop on the board, but I haven't tried them. I also haven't heard
      too many good things about this approach.

      However, Mach3 is compatible with Galil controller cards (like the
      1840), so a PC with a Galil card can be used to control the servo
      loop to all the axes, then Mach3 sends commands to the Galil card.
      I've talked with Brian Barker (he's a member of a CNC group I've
      started here in southern NH) and he has done installations using
      Mach3 with a Galil card. All that is needed is a .dll plug-in in
      Mach3 to communicate with the Galil board.

      I'm still running my converted V2XT with 42 frame steppers and Mach3
      as I have 2 million other projects at the moment, but I have all of
      the parts already for a Mach3/Galil setup. I spend an hour here and
      there installing software or wiring the drives on a bench, but it's
      definetly not the top priority. I haven't missed a step since I
      converted it a couple years ago, which pushes it down the list even
      farther. Also, once I do convert the machine, I will not be using
      the original brush servo motors, as I have brushless motors & drives,
      but the input to the drives is the same ±10vdc.

      I hope this helps.

      Keith