Found another 4GB SD flash media card to use on my Powershot S80

  • uwcanonpss80user
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18 3:49 PM
      This is a plain ol' SD card that you can use with your Canon Powershot
      S80. It's FAT32 and is seen as one partition by your camera so all
      3.83gb of space will be used by the camera.

      Bought mine at www.newegg.com for a real cheap price of $8.99 plus
      shipping. Brand name is Transcend part number is TS4GSD133.

      I tested the 133X speed by using it with continuous shutter option and
      noticed that there was no change in the speed capturing the image and
      storing it onto the card. With the review option turned off, and
      continuous option on, in Manual mode I fired the shutter 50 times
      before stopping. There was no needed catch up the 50th image as being
      written just after I lifted off the shutter trigger button. So from
      this test, it's fast enough for my Canon Powershot S80.

      IMHO, I will not bother trying the 150X faster SD chip since it is 3
      times the cost of this one. I'll just buy more of these 4Gb SD cards
      in case they are not made any more.

      I also recorded 2 long running movie clips of watching my TV just to
      run out the 4gb space and then reviewed the avi files to see that they
      looked OK. Not a real test here, but just good enough for me.

      My S80 was repaired in January '08 and the image counter was reset to
      zero, now my usage count has me at 5000 + already. I'm sure I'll be
      able to give this new Transcend 4gb SD card a run for the money and
      report back after the holidays are over.

      BTW, my HP DV6253 laptop SD card reader could not read this card, but
      my neighbor's brand new HP G60's read the card fine without any delays
      or hangs! So be prepared to get a NEWER card reader in order to get
      the images off the card. I'm currently using the USB cable right now,
      and have asked HP Support for a newer driver for my Ricoh 5-in-1 flash
      card reader but I won't hold my breath. So there's nothing wrong with
      SD card! It'll most likely be your card reader! So get a newer one
      that can read the newer current technology!

      Charlie Eng