Re: Anybody using any of the Canon Powershot cameras underwater?

  • Charlie Eng
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13 11:15 PM
      Thank you Sean! I'm forwarding this email to a yahoogroup so the public can read about your comments/experiences. Next month when I get back to Oahu, I will try out Berkeley White's recommended settings of shooting manual at 1/125 F8 with my Ikelite Substrobe 50 using Heinrichs Digital Adapter2.  I'm using a Canon Powershot S80 in a Ikelite housing.  I also use the UK Light Cannon 100 for my clips but haven't been able get the backscatter out when it's on during still shots.

      Sean Baribeau and Koren Woolner wrote:
      Hi Charlie,

      I am shooting with the Canon S3 IS (non DSLR cameras).  I purchased ikelite housing http://ikelite.com/web_two/can_s2is.html  for my camera last year because there were no other housings available at the time.  The housing was roughly twice the cost of the camera but I have been happy with it thus far (although it is the first housed camera setup I have owned so I really don't have much to compare it to).

      I really like the fact that the ikelite housing is transparent, this allows you to:
      a) see if there are any leaks
      b) see the O-ring seal

      For a strobe I am using the Sea&Sea YS90 DX.  This is configured as a Slave to the onboard camera flash and is triggered by a fiber optic cable that is attached to the outside of the housing, the onboard flash is masked by a black nylon that is velcroed to the front of the housing (http://www.helixcamera.com/UW/sea&sea/sscords/S58030.html). I purchased the strobe 2 years ago, I wanted a decent mid sized strobe that would be powerful enough for some wide angle shots in the tropics.  I went with Sea and Sea because I was shooting with a Sea & Sea camera at the time and did so for compatibility.

      I am using ultralight arms as well as a focus light from backscatter http://www.reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25.  I bought the focus light for 2 reasons:
      a)  I was told that the camera would have an easier time focusing with it (duh)
      b)  I wanted to shoot video with my camera.

      So I use the focus light on the low setting for photos and high for video.  I have never used my setup without the focus light, so I am not a good person to ask if it is necessary.

      As for camera settings, I always shoot in Manual mode (M).  According to the pros at Backscatter you should have the f stop set at f8 or f5.6  and the shutter speed at 1/125 to start with.  I use Auto White Balance when using the strobe and manually set the white balance if I am shooting with natural light.

      I'll forward some shots from Maui for your review.  Let me know if you have any questions.

      Thanks,
      Sean