Need to clean my Powershot S80 CCD sensor

  • uwcanonpss80user
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2007
      On my last 2 dives I noticed a piece of something in the upper left
      corrner of the images/movie clips. I contacted Canon Tcch support and
      they think the sensor needs to be cleaned. Since it's out of warranty
      it'll cost $139 +return shipping. Anybody else have to do this to
      their powershots?

      If you see spots on your images that's not from a dirty lens face,
      then report it to Canon Tech Support before your warranty period is over.

      My problem started with a darker blue sky spec in the middle of movie
      clips (didn't see it on still imsges) that I ignored and then later
      after a year, the dark spec moved and got bigger/darker.

      Charlie Eng
    • lemordudelabete
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2007
        Hello Charlie

        It looks more like a dead pixel according to the evolution of the
        problem.

        Clément

        --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, "uwcanonpss80user"
        <charlieeng@...> wrote:

        > On my last 2 dives I noticed a piece of something in the upper left
        > corrner of the images/movie clips. I contacted Canon Tcch support and
        > they think the sensor needs to be cleaned. Since it's out of warranty
        > it'll cost $139 +return shipping. Anybody else have to do this to
        > their powershots?
        >
        > If you see spots on your images that's not from a dirty lens face,
        > then report it to Canon Tech Support before your warranty period is
        over.

        > My problem started with a darker blue sky spec in the middle of movie
        > clips (didn't see it on still imsges) that I ignored and then later
        > after a year, the dark spec moved and got bigger/darker.
        >
        > Charlie Eng

      • uwcanonpss80user
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2008
          The Canon Repair guys returned by PS S80 today with the report that
          they replaced optical assembly due to it being dusty and was the
          direct cause of the black spots on my images.

          It's in excellent shape now as far as the images not have any spots on
          them. The blow ups of the blue sky shots are perfectly clear now.

          Now I can go uwshooting again!

          Charlie