Li-ion battery pack - 3rd party 1200mAh Short life span

  • uwcanonpss80user
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2007
      The 3rd party knockoff Li-ion battery pack NB-2LH that I got in April
      worked fine until last week. The pack will not take a long charge
      from the Canon CB-2LW charger; the charger just shows orange on the
      indicator for a few mins. and then it goes green to indicate that the
      pack is charged (which is false). I paid a whopping whole $7.97 +$3
      shippping for the battery so I didn't hesitate to crack open the
      plastic case.

      I found the 2 cells each had uneven voltages so I bypassed the safety
      circuit that's wedged between the 2 cells; it's purpose is to prevent
      overcharging so be careful not to overheat them too. The bypass was
      no more than just connecting the + and - poles with a different
      charger. I used the discharge function on my charger to take the 2
      cells down and then recharge them all the way back up. When the
      charging cycle was complete, the Li-ion battery pack was back to
      normal now - each cell measured 3.7-4.0volts X 2 = 7.4-8.0volts final.

      Don't know how long this fix will last so I'll report back later. My
      recommendation is to always have one real Canon Li-ion pack that came
      with the camera and the 3rd party cheapies as backup. Use the Canon
      battery on those dives that really count but remember it has only
      720mAh capacity. It was a gamble for me even after new life was
      brought back to the Li-ion pack; on average I shoot 150-200 images
      underwater. I plan to drill holes in the pack casing to access the + &
      - poles of each cell so I can check them to see if one is way below
      the other by remeasuring with a volt meter.

      The Canon charger is designed to quit charging the pack when it
      detects that pack is up to the 7.2volts. With the 3rd party Li-ion
      packs, it looks like the charger can be fooled by the one cell being
      at very high charged capacity and the other being too low but still
      measuring enough to show that the combination of the 2 cells the 7.2volts.

      This has been what I've experienced with the Li-ion packs, if you've
      had different, please do post your experience(s).

      Charlie Eng