Re: Comments on Ikeltie #6140.08 vs Canon WP-DC1 Housing

  • uwcanonpss80user
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 8, 2007
      Check the photo albums for Charlie's Rig to see more photos of the
      Ikelite housing.
    • lemordudelabete
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 12, 2007
        Hi Charlie

        I haven't test the WPDC-1 underwater yet but I think it will be
        easier to control the wheel by simultanously depressing the
        Shortcut+Macro and Shortcut+Flash in the case than only with the S80.
        When I try this with the camera only I often press the Func/Set
        button. With the case the Macro, Func/Set and Flash buttons have
        different heights, so it will probably be easier to press the right
        one. The major challenge will be to be sure that the Shortcut and
        Macro or Flash are pressed simultanously. Right now I have set the
        Shortcut to AE Lock so it doesn't do anything in M mode.

        Clément

        --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, "uwcanonpss80user"
        <charlieeng@...> wrote:

        > Clément,
        > You may be getting this answer twice from me, I thought I sent a
        > reply but I didn't see it in my sent folder.
        >
        > Yes, the lower round knob is for turning the S80's wheel and allows
        > depressing to control the flash on/off.
        > The top knob is for the zoom control.
        >
        > The design change that Ikelite made to the knob that controls the
        > wheel works fine, but I'm going to put back the old control and see
        > if it works faster in spinning the S80's wheel. The newer way
        > requires you to spin the knob 360 to get one increment change or
        you
        > can make 1/4 turns to make each increment.
        >
        > lemordudelabete wrote:
        > >
        > > Charlie,
        > >
        > > I had a look at your setup and there seems to be two knobs at the
        > > back. Can you turn the S80 wheel underwater? I can't with the
        WPDC-1
        > > I have to push two buttons simultanously to make adjustments in
        > > manual mode, not really easy.
        > >
        > > Clément

      • Charlie Eng
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007
          On the Ikelite Housing for the Canon Powershot S80 to do it the Canon undocumented way is too hard for me to press multiple buttons - I meant it's real hard to press a (one) button so when you have to press two at the same time, then it's harder than using the big knob and turning it a few times to change the fstop or shutter speed.  I waiting for my question I left Ikelite about greasing the control buttons.

          Charlie

          <charlieeng@ ...> wrote:

          > Clément,
          > You may be getting this answer twice from me, I thought I sent a
          > reply but I didn't see it in my sent folder.
          >
          > Yes, the lower round knob is for turning the S80's wheel and allows
          > depressing to control the flash on/off.
          > The top knob is for the zoom control.
          >
          > The design change that Ikelite made to the knob that controls the
          > wheel works fine, but I'm going to put back the old control and see
          > if it works faster in spinning the S80's wheel. The newer way
          > requires you to spin the knob 360 to get one increment change or
          you
          > can make 1/4 turns to make each increment.
          >
          > lemordudelabete wrote:
          > >
          > > Charlie,
          > >
          > > I had a look at your setup and there seems to be two knobs at the
          > > back. Can you turn the S80 wheel underwater? I can't with the
          WPDC-1
          > > I have to push two buttons simultanously to make adjustments in
          > > manual mode, not really easy.
          > >
          > > Clément

        • uwcanonpss80user
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007
            Regarding Heat build up from the Canon Powershot S80, I did a test
            with the S80 in the Ikelite housing using one Ikelite SS50 and the HW
            DA2 adapter for triggering and controlling output of the strobe.

            When the test was over, I had taken 300 images and the main reason I
            quit was that the Canon Powershop S80's battery started to boop out.
            It was taking 3 secs. from the time I depressed the shutter, watching
            the lightnig bolt on the LCD panel blink at me a bit, then fired the
            shutter + SS50 strobe via the HW DA2 adapter.

            The SS50 was still going strong on output flash power since the HW
            DA2 adapter was quenching the strobe on every shot.

            So with a fully charged Powershot S80 battery, recharged 4 AA NiMah
            2300mAh type batteries I should expect to be able to keep going even
            after 200 images. At the 300 count level it's a little annoying to
            have to wait for the shutter to finally fire due to the Powershot's
            flash taking more time to charge up and then fire.

            When I removed the powershot camera from the housing, I did not see
            any moisture nor did the lens port fog up. I did remember to apply
            some plastic cleaner and defog earlier. When Handling the main body
            of the Powershot S80 after taking it out of the Ikelite housing, it
            felt warm to the touch. Not bad! But I can see why they warn you
            about leaving your housing in direct sunlight with the camera
            inside. Overheating could occur.
          • Charlie Eng
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007
              I meant a pushing your Powershot to take 300 photos in a sequential
              matter (not real life is it?) will make the camera body warm to begin
              with. The Ikelite Housing has generous air space between the housing
              walls and the powershot, so do take heed in regards to the comment about
              warning you to be careful about leaving the housing exposed to bright
              sunlight; it should just require you to cover your housing with a white
              towel to reflect the sunlight off. I would expect the housing will
              start to cool down anyway as you take it to depths. The housing guys
              suggest that you don't open up the housing in warm moist areas (the
              boat?) as you will induce more moist air inside the housing and when it
              cools down you may see the condensation start to collect on the inside.
              Hopefully you've put the defog on the inside of the lens port where your
              Powershot lens will take it's images thru.

              For the Canon Housing WP-DC1 (I don't own one) I would expect the heat
              build up to affect the housing characteristics more than the Ikelite
              since it has less air volume inside this housing. The same rules would
              apply I would think?
            • lemordudelabete
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007

                --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Eng <charlie.eng@...> wrote:

                > start to cool down anyway as you take it to depths. The housing guys

                > suggest that you don't open up the housing in warm moist areas (the
                > boat?) as you will induce more moist air inside the housing and when it
                > cools down you may see the condensation start to collect on the inside.

                 In fact the real trick is to close the camera case in a room where the temperature is lower than the water you will be shooting in. In the tropics I close my UWcase early in the morning before the room temperature rise. If A/C is available it's not really an issue.

                I also try to avoid letting the case open with the inside facing up. I did it once and some moisture condensed on it during the night (nothing visible). At first it was OK but the temperature raised inside the case and this moisture was vaporized and recondensed...guess where: on the port.

                >For the Canon Housing WP-DC1 (I don't own one) I would expect the heat

                > build up to affect the housing characteristics more than the Ikelite
                > since it has less air volume inside this housing. The same rules would
                > apply I would think?

                That's an interesting physics problem. The inside volume is smaller so there is less humidity trapped in the case but the air will warm up faster.

                The foging problem with polycarbonate cases is that they cool down a lot slower than the glass of the port, so it's there that the dew forms first. With an aluminum case it's the opposite.

                The mass of the WPDC-1 looks smaller than that of the 6140.08 so it's temperature will rise faster but in conterpart it will cool down faster. So the Ikelite should keep the air temperature over the dew point longer. My guess would be that the Ikelite case will be less prone to dew formation but the WPDC-1 will be able to get rid of it faster. Anyway a small dessicant bag makes this discussion pointless!

                Clément

              • lemordudelabete
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007
                  300 shots! were you shooting in manual mode with the minimum flash
                  power? I've always been concerned about the low mAH rating of the S80
                  battery pack but 300 shots is a lot more than I need.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 13, 2007
                    Yes, 300 shots.  I charged the Canon 780mAh battery up, waited about 2 hours before I stuck it back into the Powershot S80 (this simulates the time of leaving the house to get on the dive boat, then to the 1st dive site).  I was shooting in manual mode and did  adjust F stops and ISO (kept shutter speed at 1/125) to try different subjects at different distances, even  about 15 Macro shots with manual focusing spending a lot more time in between shots so the batteries were still being drawn down thru this slow shooting period.  The SS50 was just set on TTL and the DA2 was quenching the strobe with the S80's flash set to low just enough for the DA2 to be detect it thru the Black film strip over the internal flash window.

                    There was one problem at the start of the test, I set the S80 to MANUAL exposure mode instead of my CUSTOM one which had a leftover ISO setting for 400 so the first 2 shots were washed out white, then when I turn the setting to CUSTOM exposure mode which starts at ISO 50, 1/125, and F8.0 the DA2 was firing the strobe fine for one shot then the DA2 stopped firing the external strobe on the next 15 shots for no reason.  I re-checked all of the S80's settings and found nothing to change, even repositioning the DA2 in front of the S80's internal strobe didn't have any effect.  Just on a hunch, I disconnected the DA2  from the sync cord and then reconnected it back.  The DA2 started working as it was supposed to. I suspect something the DA2 learned within the first few flashes was incorrect and the power reset cleared it.  I can't picture doing this underwater so a few evaluated shots above water might alert you to this problem before you jump in.  I'll ask the Hienrich/Wiekamp guys if they know what I did wrong or how I should reset this (above or underwater?).

                    After the 250th shot, the depressing of the shutter had a lag time of 2-4 seconds before the internal strobe would trigger the  DA2 to fire the external strobe.  While the external strobe did do it's job of lighting things up, the waiting period was worst than my first Kodak EX3700 digital camera's shutter lag time (use to shoot a lot of fish butts).  And most important of all, moving subjects just did not come out well during the 250-300 shot ranges, but the stationary subjects had no problems.  Maybe this will get me interested in figuring out a way to get a battery pack with more capacity. Since I already have a dead NB-2LH battery that I can salvage for parts to make an adapter of some kind to interconnect another bigger capacity battery that I can stash into the housing in, around or above the camera since there's a lot of room.

                    Charlie

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 25, 2008
                      Guess what? I now own a S70 with a WP-DC1 housing! First use in the
                      ocean on a snorkeling trip the lens port was clear until an hour into
                      the snorkel.

                      2nd trip into the ocean, I use a plastic cleaner with antistatic and
                      defogger. It stayed clear this time, but wow the PS S70 sure does get
                      HOT!

                      I'll try the dessicant bag inside the housing next.

                      Charlie Eng

                      My guess would be that the Ikelite case will be less prone to
                      > dew formation but the WPDC-1 will be able to get rid of it faster.
                      > Anyway a small dessicant bag makes this discussion pointless!
                      >
                      > Clément

                    • lemordudelabete
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 29, 2008
                        Hello Charlie

                        I use a S80 with a WP-DC1 and I've never experienced fogging (except
                        once) during a dive. I always take care to put the camera inside the
                        housing in a room that has A/C. Be sure the housing has no humidity
                        in it. One small drop somewhere is too much it will vaporize as soon
                        as you will start using the flash and guess what...it will condense
                        on the port.

                        The only fogging I had with my WP-DC1 is when I flooded it this
                        summer. I'm still waiting for the camera to come back from repair.

                        <charlieeng@...> wrote:

                        > Guess what? I now own a S70 with a WP-DC1 housing! First use in
                        the
                        > ocean on a snorkeling trip the lens port was clear until an hour
                        into
                        > the snorkel.
                        >
                        > 2nd trip into the ocean, I use a plastic cleaner with antistatic and
                        > defogger. It stayed clear this time, but wow the PS S70 sure does
                        get
                        > HOT!
                        >
                        > I'll try the dessicant bag inside the housing next.
                        >
                        > Charlie Eng
                        >
                        > My guess would be that the Ikelite case will be less prone to
                        > > dew formation but the WPDC-1 will be able to get rid of it faster.
                        > > Anyway a small dessicant bag makes this discussion pointless!
                        > >
                        > > Clément

                      • Charlie Eng