How the HW DA2 works with Ikelite SS50's

  • Charlie Eng
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
      Clement,

      >I think this is the way it should be use for TTL, but if Matthias said 2,2,1,1,1 I'm a bit puzzled. One Ikelite representative once said that Matthias approach of having a strobe duplicating the >internal flash couldn't work with the Ikelite strobes for some reason that I don't remember exactly (some recharging time I think). But may be he was referring to the DS series not the SS-50. >The Sea&Sea YS series doesn't have this problem.

      Since 2003 I have been watching the Heinrich Wiekamp website and almost bought the DA1 for a Canon Digital Rebel 300D but I waited.  What I've noticed is that the HW people change the website content as they learn or get the reactions from their users.  They have 4 TTL modes for the DA2, forgot what the DA1 had.  I've since tossed all of my printed website info I have gotten from HW so I can't refer back. But definitely the DA2 with my S80 in AUTO mode makes the SS50 double snap when I hit the shutter button.  I re-read their website and they seem to favor the SS50 now.

      >That's how I used my A70 and intend to use my new S80. At first I tried the TTL mode in Av, Tv, Prog and Auto with Matthias DA1 and the results where not very good. The Digital Adapter >was working perfectly the exposure was good but I was not satisfied. So I decided to use the manual mode and I started to get better results. One of the problem with TTL and Canon >compacts is that the aperture time is defaulted to 1/60th when the flash is set ON (even in Tv mode!) so there is a bit of blurring if there is ambient light and you're shooting fish or if you're >not rock steady. Shooting manual is not that complicated. Once you have found a good aperture for your strobe GN and distance subject, you keep using it and you have the luxury to adjust >the aperture time to obtain a nice blue background (if you're not shooting fast objects). A strobe with a power control is very convenient but most of the time I bracket the strobe power by >distance (I work with a strobe on a detachable Sea Arm IV).

      In Tv and manual modes on my S80 the shutter speed is whatever I set it for, you're right about the AUTO and PROGRAM modes forces 1/60 shutter speed.  So that's a plus on the S80 that turning on the flash does not hard set these 2 mode of operation for the slow 1/60 shutter speed.  I shake a lot myself.  You're right moving your strobe like the old bracketing technique is faster than diddling with your flash output power control.

      >In regard to the SS50 red light, I am not 100% sure of it's working, it is usually controlled by the strobe according to the Q (quench) line status from the camera , so here by the DA2, to
      >indicate
      that the all the strobe power has been dumped while the camera still want's it to fire (in other words that TTL is not working). You should ask Matthias about this for the DA2 but >my guess would be a full strobe dump.

      Yes, you're right I should ask.

      >I use a YS90DX (with a power output control) with a DA1 and sometimes I add a YS60 also with a DA1. As mentioned previously, I shoot almost all the time in MANUAL MODE at ISO >50.

      Thanks for your info on how you are shooting.  Sharing this helps me a lot especially now that I know you are a fellow PS S80 user.  Now I need a 2nd DA2 for my 2nd strobe, especially if I can't make up my mind on which mode to use?  DA2 #1 set for AUTO/PROGRAM 1-1-1-1-1 or DA2#2 set for MANUAL 2-2-1-1-1.

      >Clément

    • lemordudelabete
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2007
        Charlie

        Just a few word to tell you I was wrong about the behavior of the flash
        with the A70 in Tv mode. The flash length is set to the value of
        aperture time provided it's between 1/60th? and 1/500th.

        Clément
        --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Eng <charlieeng@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        line
        > status from the camera , so here by the DA2, to >indicate that the all
        > the strobe power has been dumped while the camera still want's it to
        > fire (in other words that TTL is not working). You should ask Matthias
        > about this for the DA2 but >my guess would be a full strobe dump.
        >
        > /Yes, you're right I should ask.
        >
        > />I use a YS90DX (with a power output control) with a DA1 and
        sometimes
        > I add a YS60 also with a DA1. As mentioned previously, I shoot almost
        > all the time in MANUAL MODE at ISO >50./
        >
        > Thanks for your info on how you are shooting. Sharing this helps me a
        > lot especially now that I know you are a fellow PS S80 user. Now I
        need
        > a 2nd DA2 for my 2nd strobe, especially if I can't make up my mind on
        > which mode to use? DA2 #1 set for AUTO/PROGRAM 1-1-1-1-1 or DA2#2 set

      • Charlie Eng

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
            I meant to say "aren't too bad".
          • lemordudelabete
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
              The A70 is a great camera in manual mode, the Tv mode doesn't bring
              much once you're used to the manual mode. The Tv has a tendency to
              use the F/2.8 aperture (I'm almost always shooting at 50 ISO). It's
              not bad because it's the aperture that will give in theory the best
              resolution (worst depth of field of view though). But I noticed that
              I'm getting sharper images when I avoid the extreme apertures (either
              2.8 or 8.0). So I try to use the largest aperture next to 2.8, the
              depth of field is rarely an issue with the small A70 chip. I'll have
              to test this with the S800.

              <charlie.eng@...> wrote:

              > OK, that's great! You have a more usable camera than you first
              > thought. One of my relatives has a Powershot A40 in a housing and
              his
              > photo are too bad, but I think loaning him my external strobe will
              help
              > out a lot!
              >
              > Charlie
              >
              > lemordudelabete wrote:
              > >

              > > Charlie
              > >
              > > Just a few word to tell you I was wrong about the behavior of the
              flash
              > > with the A70 in Tv mode. The flash length is set to the value of
              > > aperture time provided it's between 1/60th? and 1/500th.
              > >
              > > Clément

            • uwcanonpss80user
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 7, 2010
                I finally had time on the test bench to play around with the DA2 strobe adapter to try out shooting in auto/programmed/TV/AV modes and after reconfiging the DA2 to skip the preflash my images started to turn out fine. Now with the CHDK PowershotS80 hack I over rode the internal strobe to be manually fired at a very low power setting. I swtiched the powershot S80 to manual exposure control and the DA2 seemed to fire correctly without having to change the DA2's configuration.

                Next step to try this out in the ocean. I haven't found anything yet to warrant using RAW so I'm just shooting jpegs. But now I'm able to shoot the Powershot S80 in auto,programmed/TV and manual with the same DA2 strobe controller settings.

                I'll update again after my next dive with the camera.

                Aloha,
                Charlie
              • uwcanonpss80user
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2011
                  --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, "uwcanonpss80user" <charlieeng@...> wrote:
                  Oops, I just re-read what I said last October.

                  My DA2 strobe adapter configured to skip the preflash while shooting in AUTO/Programmed/AV/TV exposure modes seemed to work for Manual exposure mode also. This is werid and not correct. The Canon PS S80 in manual mode will fire NO preflash, so why is my images looking like the strobe lit up correctly?

                  Will have to really test this out on the bench and double check that I didn't use any incorrect settings in the CHDK override.

                  Some more learning to do.

                  Charlie
                • uwcanonpss80user
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
                    After some checking on how the DA2 strobe adapter was configured, I found out that it set for 2-2-1-1-1 which is fine for the Preflash mode. But I'm more inclined to use the manual exposure mode so I have to re-set the DA2 strobe adapter to 1-2-1-1-1. The captured images with flash now is looking normal now.

                    With a fresh set of batteries in my Ikelite Substrobe 50, I got thru enough of the configuration check to change the 1st two settings which are the only ones that matters anyway. Don't be surprised that your analog strobes may operate this way since they weren't designed for the fast low power flashing following a full power strobe dump.

                    Charlie

                    -