Yikes! I made the mistake of configuring my Heinrichs Wiekamp's DA2 adapter

  • uwcanonpss80user
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2007
      Well, if you haven't configured it, then don't. I did because
      Matthias mentioned that for my Canon PS S80 I should set for 2-2-1-1-1
      to avoid the preflash and use TTL (with Ikelite SS50 non digital strobes).

      I spent a couple days having my ss50 flash in my face to see the
      sequence of when it's ready in config mode and then make the change,
      then wait for the DA2 to count off the flash(es) based on what I changed.

      Still not used to it, so I video'ed the flashing sequences and watched
      over and over again to see if I could figure out when it was ready to
      configure and when it changed to each mode and finally what choice was
      set at. Whew! That's work and a lot of flashing at my eye balls.
    • lemordudelabete
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2007
        Hello Charlie

        May be I'm missing something, but how can you ignore the preflash and
        use TTL? From my understanding the Powershot sends a preflash mesure
        the result according to the metering mode and fires the adjusted flash
        according to the result. If you ignore the pre flash the Powershot will
        think it's using it's internal flash and will send an adjusted flash
        way to long.

        Clément

        --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, "uwcanonpss80user"

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2007
          Clement,

          Thanks for participating on this yahoogroup!

          The Heinrich Wiekamp DA2 digital adapter allows me to use an old non-
          digital external strobe that does not do preflash. I'm using the
          Ikelite Substrobe 50 strobe which does the old style Film TTL, the
          DA2 will suppress the SS50 from firing a preflash when the
          Powershot's preflash goes off and when the Powershot's internal flash
          fires again the DA2 will copy what the internal flash does on a 1:1
          basis.

          I expected the external strobe's extra light power would have burned
          out the image if the Powershot measured it's own preflash results,
          but so far it hasn't.

          Just for fun, I reset the DA2 back to the defaulted setting and put
          the Powershot in AUTO to see what happens. The SS50 in TTL mode did
          fire a preflash and a 2nd flash which lit the image fine for shots
          that were 1-4ft away. As the batteries on the SS50 wears down, I
          would expect the this to screw up when the SS50 can no longer keep up
          with the 2nd flash.

          My other uwshooter friends reccommend shooting in MANUAL mode and use
          a slave external strobe that has multiple 1-6 or 1-11(better) output
          power level control settings. The method is based purely on results;
          shoot it, evaluate what you got, adjust strobe output, then shoot
          again, repeat until you're happy with the shot or you give up.

          When the Powershot S80 is in MANUAL mode, there will be NO Preflash
          as confirmed by the Canon Tech Support guys. So in the worst case,
          you would expect that I have purchased an expensive $127 slave
          trigger (DA2). But it still works! I set the Powershot's flash
          output power control to the minimum just enough to trigger the
          external flash and vary the distance of the external strobe from the
          subject; kind of a manual hand/arm control of the external flash's
          power. The Ikelite SS50's fired with the red blinking light
          indication of a full dump but maybe not? I checked with the
          paperclip short the sync cord trick to fire the SS50 and got really
          blinded by the full dump! So does the SS50's blinking red indicator
          mean something else since I don't see a full dump? To me it seems
          that the DA2 is quenching the SS50 strobe.

          What are you using for an external strobe and how are you triggering
          it?

          Are you using AUTO mode?

          Charlie
        • kerry.werry@telus.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2007
            Charlie

            I was reading your post and I notice you are using the HW DA2 converter with a
            Ikelite SS50, I notice on Heinrich's site he says his converter does not work
            very well with the Ike SS50. are you saying you have it working ok??

            I am thinking of this for use with a A640.

            Thanks

            KLW

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2007
              --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, "uwcanonpss80user" <charlieeng@...> wrote:

              Clement,

              Thanks for participating on this yahoogroup!

              The Heinrich Wiekamp DA2 digital adapter allows me to use an old non-digital external strobe that does not do preflash. I'm using the Ikelite Substrobe 50 strobe which does the old style Film TTL, the DA2 will suppress the SS50 from firing a preflash when the Powershot's preflash goes off and when the Powershot's internal flash fires again the DA2 will copy what the internal flash does on a 1:1 basis.

              You're right the SS50 will go 1:1 with the internal flash, but the problem is that the duration of the main flash of the internal flash is unpredictable.

              If the internal flash is mechanicaly blocked as it should to avoid backscatter, the duration of the main flash will depend on the ambient lighting as the S80 will assume that the scene has been lit by the preflash. This may work but it will mostly result from a fluke according to the aperture, ISO, strobe guide number, object distance, ambient lighting and speed selected.

              I expected the external strobe's extra light power would have burned out the image if the Powershot measured it's own preflash results, but so far it hasn't.

              Have you try varying the subject distance? Does it still work? If so I'll have to review my understanding of the flash behavior on a digital compact.

              Just for fun, I reset the DA2 back to the defaulted setting and put the Powershot in AUTO to see what happens. The SS50 in TTL mode did
              fire a preflash and a 2nd flash which lit the image fine for shots that were 1-4ft away. As the batteries on the SS50 wears down, I would expect the this to screw up when the SS50 can no longer keep up with the 2nd flash.

              I think this is the way it should be use for TTL, but if Matthias said 2,2,1,1,1 I'm a bit puzzled. One Ikelite representative once said that Matthias approach of having a strobe duplicating the internal flash couldn't work with the Ikelite strobes for some reason that I don't remember exactly (some recharging time I think). But may be he was reffering to the DS series not the SS-50. The Sea&Sea YS series doesn't have this problem.

              My other uwshooter friends reccommend shooting in MANUAL mode and use a slave external strobe that has multiple 1-6 or 1-11(better) output power level control settings. The method is based purely on results; shoot it, evaluate what you got, adjust strobe output, then shoot
              again, repeat until you're happy with the shot or you give up.

              That's how I used my A70 and intend to use my new S80. At first I tried the TTL mode in Av, Tv, Prog and Auto with Matthias DA1 and the results where not very good. The Digital Adapter was working perfectly the exposure was good but I was not satisfied. So I decided to use the manual mode and I started to get better results. One of the problem with TTL and Canon compacts is that the aperture time is defaulted to 1/60th when the flash is set ON (even in Tv mode!) so there is a bit of blurring if there is ambient light and you're shooting fish or if you're not rock steady. Shooting manual is not that complicated. Once you have found a good aperture for your strobe GN and distance subject, you keep using it and you have the luxary to adjust the aperture time to obtain a nice blue background (if you're not shooting fast objects). A strobe with a power control is very convinient but most of the time I bracket the strobe power by distance (I work with a strobe on a detachable Sea Arm IV).

              When the Powershot S80 is in MANUAL mode, there will be NO Preflash as confirmed by the Canon Tech Support guys. So in the worst case,
              you would expect that I have purchased an expensive $127 slave trigger (DA2). But it still works! I set the Powershot's flash output power control to the minimum just enough to trigger the external flash and vary the distance of the external strobe from the subject; kind of a manual hand/arm control of the external flash's power. The Ikelite SS50's fired with the red blinking light indication of a full dump but maybe not? I checked with the paperclip short the sync cord trick to fire the SS50 and got really blinded by the full dump! So does the SS50's blinking red indicator mean something else since I don't see a full dump? To me it seems that the DA2 is quenching the SS50 strobe.

              The DA2 may be an expensive slave trigger in MANUAL mode but it's more reliable than an optical slave without a fiber optic and easier to move than a fiber optic. If your SS50 doesn't have an optical SLAVE MODE like my YS60 it was your only choice. One of the advantages of the MANUAL MODE is that you can set the power of the internal flash to a minimum to spare some battery time. Another one is that you can select a synch speed up to 1/500th, a few if any digital SLR can acheive that right now!

              In regard to the SS50 red light, I am not 100% sure of it's working, it is usally controlled by the strobe according to the Q (quench) line status from the camera , so here by the DA2, to indicate that the all the strobe power has been dumped while the camera still want's it to fire (in other words that TTL is not working). You should ask Matthias about this for the DA2 but my guess would be a full strobe dump.

              What are you using for an external strobe and how are you triggering it?

              Are you using AUTO mode?

              I use a YS90DX (with a power output control) with a DA1 and sometimes I add a YS60 also with a DA1. As mentionned previously, I shoot alomost all the time in MANUAL MODE at ISO 50.

              Clément

            • Charlie Eng
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2007
                If I had it to do all over again, my choice would be to buy a Sea & Sea YS-90 Duo TTL with a fiber optic cable connection from the housing to the YS-90 strobe head and set the YS-90 for Slave, NO Preflash, and use the 11 variable output power settings.  This is based on my choice of shooting the Powershot in MANUAL or PROGRAM mode (not AUTO) so your housing choice must let you control the aperture ,shutter, iso, function button to get at the internal flash output power or if you use PROGRAM mode, use the AE control to + or - the 6 stops to influence your shot (in case you use a strobe that has less variable control i.e. strobes that have 1/4, 1/2 & Full  output settings only).  The S&S YS-90 Dual TTL does seem to work with a G5 I tested in AUTO with Preflash.

                But YES, the SS50 which is NOT a digital strobe works nicely with the HW DA2.  Those HW guys IMHO are very conservative on their ratings, but the SS50 is on their list of strobes that will work.  They did email me back that I should set the DA2 configuration to 2-2-1-1-1 (it defaults to 1-1-1-1-1)  the first setting is to ignore the Powershot's Preflash, the 2nd says to use a Normal TTL protocol which follows whatever it sees the Powershot internal flash does, it copies it.

                The SS50 did work with the Powershot's AUTO mode, before I starting changing the DA2 configuration.  It was set to the default of 1-1-1-1-1 and my SS50 had no problem keeping up with  firing a preflash and the main flash.  At least for the first 50 images on a fresh set of NiMah 2300mAh batteries the SS50 did it's job very well (barring the user's mistakes of holding the strobe too far away).  So if you want to use AUTO mode - if your shooter is just looking to do snapshots, this will work.  The HW strobe chart says the SS50 is TTL compatible, preflash capable is blank or no comment and the comment field says "no preflash".

                Remember the main purpose of getting this adapter is to re-use your old strobes and the HW DA2 certainly will let you do that.  Since you don't have a hot shoe for the external strobe, forget about the hoopla on the E-TTL2 etc. Go back to basics.

                The HW guys do talk about the DA was designed around the S&S YS60TTL strobe. Maybe this strobe is the one to get?

                There are so many choices to pick from, please  email back your experience with whatever you decide to do.  I can babble on more as today I switch back and forth from AUTO/PROGRAM/MANUAL mode and I am still learning what doesn't work well.  All of my learned experience has been in Hawaii ocean and our community swimming pool, when I go back to Monterey diving I'm sure it'll be harder to get good images (green water and darker) maybe then I'll notice more what doesn't really work.  Clearer water tends to spoil you.

                The biggest hint I have realized from playing around with someone else's digital strobe and my old clunkers is that the digital cameras don't need much light until after 30ft of depth.  Remember the film days, even with TTL I saw many times my strobe did a full dump of the flash except when doing closeup or macro.

                My dive buddies are giving me weird looks when I bring my external strobe and I give them my questionable look at their orange filter and no strobe shooting.  Definitely the strobe will give you sharper and more pleasing images.

                Good Luck with your decision,
                Charlie

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Hello Kerry

                  The A640 would be a great choice. I would have bought this one to
                  replace my A70 but I was in a bad need for a better wide angle. So I
                  bought an used S80 and an Inon UWL-100AD lens.

                  Do you already own a SS-50 or do you intend to buy something?

                  Clément

                  --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, kerry.werry@... wrote:

> [...]
                  case,
                  > you would expect that I have purchased an expensive $127 slave
                  > trigger (DA2). But it still works! I set the Powershot's flash
                  > output power control to the minimum just enough to trigger the
                  > external flash and vary the distance of the external strobe from
                  the
                  > subject; kind of a manual hand/arm control of the external flash's
                  > power. The Ikelite SS50's fired with the red blinking light
                  > indication of a full dump but maybe not? I checked with the
                  > paperclip short the sync cord trick to fire the SS50 and got
                  really
                  > blinded by the full dump! So does the SS50's blinking red
                  indicator
                  > mean something else since I don't see a full dump? To me it seems
                  > that the DA2 is quenching the SS50 strobe.
                  >
                  > What are you using for an external strobe and how are you

                • Kerry Werry
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2007
                    I'm an ex Nikonos guy so I have several SS50's gathering dust. Since I
                    am in BC most of my stuff will be Macro

                    KLW

                    lemordudelabete wrote:

                    > Hello Kerry
                    >
                    > The A640 would be a great choice. I would have bought this one to
                    > replace my A70 but I was in a bad need for a better wide angle. So I
                    > bought an used S80 and an Inon UWL-100AD lens.
                    >
                    > Do you already own a SS-50 or do you intend to buy something?
                    >
                    > Clément
                    >
                    > --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:uw_canon_powershots%40yahoogroups.com>, kerry.werry@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Charlie
                    > >
                    > > I was reading your post and I notice you are using the HW DA2
                    > converter with a
                    > > Ikelite SS50, I notice on Heinrich's site he says his converter
                    > does not work
                    > > very well with the Ike SS50. are you saying you have it working ok??
                    > >
                    > > I am thinking of this for use with a A640.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > KLW

                  • Charlie Eng
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Clément,
                      Why did you choose the AD type adapter over the screw-in?
                      I'm thinking about getting the Ikelite #6420 adapter that uses 67mm screw-in lenses/filters.

                      Charlie

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 5, 2007
                        Clement,

                        Have you ever changed your configuration on the DA1? If so, can you
                        write back how you do the procedure? The manual I got for the DA2 is
                        not very clear on how to:
                        1. Review your configuration?
                        2. How to change a setting on one of the menus?
                        3. The RESET procedure is still not that clear to me how do you do it?

                        While I've done the configuration so many times, I'm still not sure I've
                        done it right. When I asked the HW guys, they replied "just read the
                        manual".
                        Charlie
                      • lemordudelabete
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 5, 2007
                          Charlie

                          To make a short story long: when I bought my A70 four years ago it was
                          not supposed to go underwater but after one month of playing with it I
                          decided to give a try to the Canon underwater case and I've been totally
                          satisfied with it. I also decided to try to adapt the Canon Sea&Sea
                          adapter that was designed for an other case. It worked but the results
                          with my Sea&Sea 20mm and 1:3 lens where disappointing, too much
                          vigneting. Anyway I loved the switch to the digital so at first I
                          didn't missed my 20mm on my MMIIEx that much. After four years (and my
                          A70 showing signs of the dreadfull CCD plague) I decided it was time to
                          move to something else. I was not ready for the dSLR because I like the
                          compactness of my setup, to shoot a video clip once in a while and to
                          frame with a live screen. The only thing I was really missing was the
                          wide angle. So I started looking for a compact with a wider lens than
                          the A70. There is nothing left on the market right now that could be put
                          in an underwater case. The only exception was the new Olympus with a
                          riducoulously strong zoom, but any way it has a 28mm. Unfortunately the
                          chip was about the same size as the one in the A70. I was not too hot to
                          switch the Olympus menus too. So it was cleared that I had to go on the
                          used market. The C7070 or C8080 could have been great choices but it was
                          still Olympus. So I made my mind for the Powershot S80 based on my Canon
                          experience. Since I was satisfied with the Canon case I decided to go
                          that way and recycled my Sea&Sea multi-stay, seaarm IV and TLC arm. I
                          got a good deal on a WPDC-1 in a local store. I had already almost ruled
                          out the idea of adding-on of an external lens on this system based on my
                          previous experiences but I remembered that the Inon lens users were all
                          satisfied with their lens. The vignetting I experienced with the A70 and
                          the Sea&Sea lens was not reported. So I decided to have a look to the
                          Inon web page to find that the UWL-100AD was available for the
                          WPDC-1...I was sold.

                          The short version of this story would have been becaused I had already
                          bought a WPDC-1 case ;-) Oh there was something else...you can add a
                          dome port on this lens!

                          What housing are you using? If you already have an Ikelite housing I
                          think you have no choice, you have to go with the threaded 67mm. You
                          should check with Inon about the vigneting but I think it should be OK.

                          Clément
                          --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Eng <charlieeng@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Clément,
                          > Why did you choose the AD type adapter over the screw-in?
                          > I'm thinking about getting the Ikelite #6420 adapter that uses 67mm
                          > screw-in lenses/filters.
                          >
                          > Charlie

                        • lemordudelabete
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 5, 2007
                            Charlie,

                            No I haven't changed it, it works with the default setting on both
                            adapters. I'll try to find my instructions to review how it is done
                            with the DA1.

                            <charlie.eng@...> wrote:

                            > Clement,
                            >
                            > Have you ever changed your configuration on the DA1? If so, can you
                            > write back how you do the procedure? The manual I got for the DA2 is
                            > not very clear on how to:
                            > 1. Review your configuration?
                            > 2. How to change a setting on one of the menus?
                            > 3. The RESET procedure is still not that clear to me how do you do it?
                            >
                            > While I've done the configuration so many times, I'm still not sure
                            I've
                            > done it right. When I asked the HW guys, they replied "just read the
                            > manual".
                            > Charlie

                          • lemordudelabete
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 5, 2007
                              Kerry,

                              If your a Nikonos guy shooting manual won't be a problem. The real
                              problem will be pushing the case buttons with the hand protection you
                              should be using in BC.

                              I haven't try shooting here in Quebec. I can't figure out how I can
                              push the buttons with my dry gloves.

                              Would the A640 be your first step in the underwater digital
                              photography arena?

                            • kerry.werry@telus.net
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 5, 2007
                                Yes first step into digital underwater, i do shoot a Canon Digital Rebel above
                                water but want the compactness and lower cost of the A640/ikelite housing
                                underwater.

                                I assume the buttons you are talking about are the ones grouped on the back of
                                the housing? it will be interesting to see how that goes with my gloves...

                                KLW

                                <kerry.werry@...> wrote:

                                > I'm an ex Nikonos guy so I have several SS50's gathering dust.
                                Since I
                                > am in BC most of my stuff will be Macro
                                >
                                > KLW
                                >
                                > lemordudelabete wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello Kerry
                                > >
                                > > The A640 would be a great choice. I would have bought this one to
                                > > replace my A70 but I was in a bad need for a better wide angle.
                                So I
                                > > bought an used S80 and an Inon UWL-100AD lens.
                                > >
                                > > Do you already own a SS-50 or do you intend to buy something?
                                > >
                                > > Clément
                                > >
                                > > --- In uw_canon_powershots@yahoogroups.com
                                > > <mailto:uw_canon_powershots%40yahoogroups.com>, kerry.werry@
                                wrote:

                                > > > Charlie
                                > > >
                                > > > I was reading your post and I notice you are using the HW DA2
                                > > converter with a
                                > > > Ikelite SS50, I notice on Heinrich's site he says his converter
                                > > does not work
                                > > > very well with the Ike SS50. are you saying you have it working
                                ok??

                                > > > I am thinking of this for use with a A640.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks
                                > > >
                                > > > KLW

                              • Charlie Eng
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  Clement,

                                  I'm using a Ikelite Housing for my Powershot S80, it's the #6140.08.  Ikelite offers 2 optional adapters:

                                  #9306.80 allows attaching and removing the Inon UWL-105AD bayonet style lenses underwater.
                                  #9306.81 allows attaching and removing the 67mm threads of the UWL-100 conversion lenses from Epoque, Inon, and #6420 Ikelite lens.

                                  I'm leaning towards the 67mm threaded type adapter so I can use closeup + lenses in additional to the UWL-100 type lenses.  It looks cheaper to go this route.

                                  I've added a photo of my housing to the Photo of what my rig looks like area.

                                  Charlie

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 7, 2007
                                    Charlie,

                                    I had a look at your setup and there seems to be two knobs at the
                                    back. Can you turn the S80 wheel underwater? I can't with the WPDC-1
                                    I have to push two buttons simultanously to make adjustments in
                                    manual mode, not really easy.

                                    <charlie.eng@...> wrote:

                                    > Clement,
                                    >
                                    > I'm using a Ikelite Housing for my Powershot S80, it's the
                                    #6140.08.
                                    > Ikelite offers 2 optional adapters:
                                    >
                                    > #9306.80 allows attaching and removing the Inon UWL-105AD bayonet
                                    style
                                    > lenses underwater.
                                    > #9306.81 allows attaching and removing the 67mm threads of the UWL-
                                    100
                                    > conversion lenses from Epoque, Inon, and #6420 Ikelite lens.
                                    >
                                    > I'm leaning towards the 67mm threaded type adapter so I can use
                                    closeup
                                    > + lenses in additional to the UWL-100 type lenses. It looks
                                    cheaper to
                                    > go this route.
                                    >
                                    > I've added a photo of my housing to the Photo of what my rig looks
                                    like
                                    > area.
                                    >
                                    > Charlie
                                    >
                                    > lemordudelabete wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > What housing are you using? If you already have an Ikelite
                                    housing I
                                    > > think you have no choice, you have to go with the threaded 67mm.
                                    You
                                    > > should check with Inon about the vigneting but I think it should
                                    be OK.

                                  • uwcanonpss80user
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 7, 2007
                                      Even though I said I would do a different way if I had it to do over
                                      again, I'm still very impressed by the HW DA2 adapter that saved me
                                      from having to re-buy new digital strobes at $350-600 each. So the
                                      $127 + shipping was worth it. Where else can you get TTL control over
                                      an external slaved strobe for a non-hot shoe digital camera?

                                      Charlie