Re: Kite Events 2011

  • jeffersz
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2011
      It is still a little early in the year for me, but I am looking to attend as many events as I can this year. Work is extremely busy and I will have to shuffle things a bit, and with my son graduating from Marine's Boot Camp it will undoubtedly snub some availability in either April or May, we're just not sure which yet.

      I am very curious to learn more about Bear Lake, it may just give me the excuse I've been looking for to break out the camping gear! It's been years since I've been up that way.

      Idaho Falls is one I try not to miss, and although last year circumstances kept me from attending, I hope to not repeat that again in 2011. My family is is extremely close proximity to this one, which gives me even more incentive to attend.

      Thanksgiving Point is a sweet venue, and the wind is usually cooperative there. Spanish Fork is not the best venue for flying kites, but close for us and always a good time regardless.

      I usually have to sacrifice time towards the southern events to accomodate the ones I've mentioned, and this year will probably not be much different. Those of you who have not attended any of these, they all come highly recommended! :)

      Also, there is the Antelope Island event (September 2-4, 2011) over Labor day weekend. That event was a huge success last year, and will be absolutely gigantic this year. I know there are some sensitive spots among some people regarding this event, however, I remain neutral (and will continue to be) in that respect. I am here to promote kiting, nothing more and nothing less.

      Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring today, I sure hope he's right, I've been out flying a few times this winter and I'm absolutely done with the cold! Let's hope the silly groundhog is actually right...Ugh.

      Smooth Winds everyone! :D

      -Jeff

      --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Copeland" <todd@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Bear Lake, ID
      > 6/25/2011
      >
      > Wind Fest
      > Spanish Fork, UT
      > 8/2011
      >
      > Did I mention that there were a "few" festivals this year? :)
      >
      > As you may have noticed there is a new festival in Montpelier, ID at Bear
      > Lake (the north side of the lake). Good news for you members who are in
      > northern Utah... only about 2 hours away! Dean with Sunrise Kites is working
      > with the hosts of the events and I've also been speaking with them. This
      > looks to be a really good event! It will take place on the beach next to the
      > lake which is _huge_ (miles long and about 300 yards deep). It's also all
      > open and I'm told the wind is always howling there. This will mark the first
      > year of the event and the hosts are really excited to see how it will turn
      > out. They are all for us setting up as many kites as we want, doing demos,
      > candy drops, etc. They are looking into having music at the event as well.
      > Dean will have a tent set up and will sell kites and also have a kite
      > building table for the kids.
      >
      > I've also been talking to the Thanksgiving Point people and they would love
      > to have us down to fly kites during the two events mentioned above. Several
      > of us made it out the prior year and it really was a lot of fun. We really
      > goofed around all day and just had a good time flying.
      >
      > Then there is Dean's event, Kiting Just for Fun in Idaho Falls. I don't
      > think I need to say much about this event... so many of us have been to it
      > and always had a great time! It really draws in the kite fliers and I'm sure
      > this year will be no different. Several dual line fliers and many single
      > line fliers at this event. Not an event you want to miss.
      >
      > Then, you may have noticed... Wind Fest is back! Elaine will be putting on
      > the event in Spanish Fork this year. I'm sure there will be a good turn out
      > and there are a ton of people that attend.
      >
      > The first event of the year is the Kite Festival in St George. Really a
      > _big_ event and they don't spare the expense. I know AJ has been speaking
      > with them and this year _might_ have a few changes. It makes for a great day
      > and there are tons of things going on.
      >
      > Here is the thing.... I need input from people on where they stand with
      > these events. Are you planning on attending any... please let me know this.
      > Would you like to plan on attending any but just don't know yet... PLEASE
      > let me know this as well! Even if you won't be going to any, please let me
      > know this as well so I know who's in and who's out. I need to be able to let
      > people know how many people will me/might be attending.
      >
      > Again... PLEASE let me know where you stand (or in Monte's case sit... knee
      > joke) on attending these events. It helps me communicate with the host of
      > the event so that they can better understand what will be happening.
      >
      > As I get more info, I'll post it. If you have any questions, please let me

    • long time ago was killer
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 4, 2011
        On another note, I got an email from Elaine and there is no wind fest this year, she is sad about it, seems the city council is just not supportive of it.
        However the Antelope Island Stampede Festival will be major this year, I can confirm Iquad will in fact be here this year. After the blast we had last year they have made this event an annual must do. There will be many other kite fliers from around the country coming, some professionals and some Kite Builder forum members. If you want to see the largest display of kites in the state, come to Antelope Island Sept 2nd, 3rd and 4th and fly with us. You do need to confirm you are attending with me.
        Utah is part of the AKA region 7, which includes CO, WY, ND, SD, NE, KS, and MO, and I am the new regional Director for this region. I was voted into this post after Don Murphy retired. As one of the original people to start this group, the Utah Kite fliers, it is sad to see the disservice done to the kite fliers of Utah by not sharing all the facts about events in this state. I am here to correct that. I would encourage members of this site to look me up on Facebook,
        http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1661062778
        email me at kevinbbayless@... or leave your comments here or on the AKA site forum for region 7.
        http://www.aka.kite.org/kite-talk-forum/forum?id=37
        April is National Kite Month and the AKA is going to issue grants for events that are put on in the spirit of the AKA base of education, Check out this link;
        http://www.nationalkitemonth.org/main/index.shtml

        Thanks

        Kevin Bayless
        Region 7 Director
        AKA

        --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, "jeffersz" <jeffersz@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > with them and this year _might_ have a few changes. It makes for a great day
        > > and there are tons of things going on.
        > >
        > > Here is the thing.... I need input from people on where they stand with
        > > these events. Are you planning on attending any... please let me know this.
        > > Would you like to plan on attending any but just don't know yet... PLEASE
        > > let me know this as well! Even if you won't be going to any, please let me
        > > know this as well so I know who's in and who's out. I need to be able to let
        > > people know how many people will me/might be attending.
        > >
        > > Again... PLEASE let me know where you stand (or in Monte's case sit... knee
        > > joke) on attending these events. It helps me communicate with the host of
        > > the event so that they can better understand what will be happening.
        > >
        > > As I get more info, I'll post it. If you have any questions, please let me

      • CHARLES TOPHAM
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
          Kevin

          Where has the wind fest that Elaine talks about been held so I know which event to cross off my list of kite flying events?

          Charles

          To: utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com
          From: wakelesskites@...
          Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 03:25:17 +0000
          Subject: [utahkitefliers] Re: Kite Events 2011

> [...]

          > > with them and this year _might_ have a few changes. It makes for a great day
          > > and there are tons of things going on.
          > >
          > > Here is the thing.... I need input from people on where they stand with
          > > these events. Are you planning on attending any... please let me know this.
          > > Would you like to plan on attending any but just don't know yet... PLEASE
          > > let me know this as well! Even if you won't be going to any, please let me
          > > know this as well so I know who's in and who's out. I need to be able to let
          > > people know how many people will me/might be attending.
          > >
          > > Again... PLEASE let me know where you stand (or in Monte's case sit... knee
          > > joke) on attending these events. It helps me communicate with the host of
          > > the event so that they can better understand what will be happening.
          > >
          > > As I get more info, I'll post it. If you have any questions, please let me

        • Wentzium
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
            Charles,

            "Wind Fest" was the event in Spanish Fork (celebrating the wind-energy turbines at the mouth of the canyon).  It was held at the S.F. gun club shooting range.

            Unfortunately, the range is on a flat space cut out of the mountain slope, and all the wind always seemed to sweep right up the slope without disturbing the air in that flat space at all.  =\  Jeff, who is a master of little-to-no-wind flying, always put on a good show (and worked his butt off), but it was a pretty frustrating location, since we all know that there is good wind nearby-- yet it refuses to come where we are flying-- or rather, not flying.  ;)  Also the ground there is rather vicious, and has a tendency to snag and tear at lines and make fabric filthy...

            I'm sorry to lose the *event*... but I'd be far more sorry if it was at a better location for flying.  Last time I went I mostly put kites together for people to look at (on the ground) rather than in the air.  I had still been cherishing a hope that they might move to a different location with better wind... but I'm sure that sort of proposal is rather impossible to make when the city council isn't amped about doing it in the first place. =\

            And in defense of Wind Fest, I suppose it probably doesn't make fabric and lines any filthier than Antelope Island does... and I'm still whole-heartedly committed to Antelope.  (Although somehow I have an impression that things get "snagged" more on the ground at Wind Fest-- I'm not sure why.)  At any rate, Antelope can continue to make all my kites need cleaning, and I'll continue to go, because it is fab!  (and even when I disagree with the music schedulers about the bands they choose, nothing at Antelope has been as earplug-worthy as the reservoir concert at Wind Fest a couple years ago). Hehheh.

            On a different note, I checked with my head coach yesterday about summer-camps we're running, and right now I am in the clear for the weekend of this new Bear Lake festival.  I'm super excited about that possibility.  I spent much of my youth in Cache Valley, and Bear Lake was a pretty regular weekend getaway for us.  I imagine it could be a fabulous location.  (And attending that will help me be less bitter about the fact that I miss the early-spring events because I have to hold classes on Saturday in the spring.)

            (I also gently reminded Coach that if she schedules any tournaments for Labor Day weekend, she'll have to run them by herself, because I'll be elsewhere, attached to the end of a kite-line.  She seemed taken by surprise, as always, and inclined to reevaluate the calendar a bit.)

            Good winds!
            -Rachel

            To: utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com
            From: wakelesskites@...
            Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 03:25:17 +0000

> [...]

            > > with them and this year _might_ have a few changes. It makes for a great day
            > > and there are tons of things going on.
            > >
            > > Here is the thing.... I need input from people on where they stand with
            > > these events. Are you planning on attending any... please let me know this.
            > > Would you like to plan on attending any but just don't know yet... PLEASE
            > > let me know this as well! Even if you won't be going to any, please let me
            > > know this as well so I know who's in and who's out. I need to be able to let
            > > people know how many people will me/might be attending.
            > >
            > > Again... PLEASE let me know where you stand (or in Monte's case sit... knee
            > > joke) on attending these events. It helps me communicate with the host of
            > > the event so that they can better understand what will be happening.
            > >
            > > As I get more info, I'll post it. If you have any questions, please let me

          • Wentzium
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
              Couple other things:

              Todd-- I *might* be able to attend one or both of the two TGPoint events, depending on Saturday-school and volleyball-camps.  Time will tell.

              Kevin, I will (as usual) be hanging 30 or 40 kites from the ceiling of my school media center for NKM (and posting info cards about most of them), and I'll try to remember to take a couple pictures in case you need something to "report" to Kiting.  (But I'm guessing there will be way more exciting things to report, since spring is a busy time in the kiting world.)

              -R
            • breakinwindonline@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                What is truly sad is the disservice you did to this group by putting it down for not sharing "all" things instead of commending it for being here at all and having the ability for all to share whatever they may know of any event. You as a regional director should spend more time trying to promote goodness instead of rudeness.

                From: "long time ago was killer" <wakelesskites@...>
                Sender: utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 03:25:17 -0000
                To: <utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011

                  I don’t think I could have put it better then Rachel. She hit the nail right on the head. Wind Fest was a lot of fun, Elaine did a great job and is such a wonderful person. But there is just something about flying up against a mountain, next to a cliff and on a ton of shotgun shells. It was not a terrible place…. just not the greatest.

                  I’m glad to hear that people are excited about Bear Lake . I too thought it sounded like the perfect place for a kite festival. I’ve always hear how blue the lake is. People tell me it’s just unreal. Also every mentions that the beach is just huge… and no surrounding trees! This is really an open slate for the people hosting the event. They want to have a kite event and see how it goes. It has the support from Dean with Sunrise kites and he does such a great job with Kiting Just for Fun in Idaho Falls so I feel that this venue could attract a lot of people. This is the first year of the event but I have a feeling it’s not one that should be missed.

                  From: wakelesskites@...
                  Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 03:25:17 +0000

                  On another note, I got an email from Elaine and there is no wind fest this year, she is sad about it, seems the city council is just not supportive of it.
                  However the Antelope Island Stampede Festival will be major this year, I can confirm Iquad will in fact be here this year. After the blast we had last year they have made this event an annual must do. There will be many other kite fliers from around the country coming, some professionals and some Kite Builder forum members. If you want to see the largest display of kites in the state, come to Antelope Island Sept 2nd, 3rd and 4th and fly with us. You do need to confirm you are attending with me.
                  Utah is part of the AKA region 7, which includes CO, WY, ND, SD, NE, KS, and MO, and I am the new regional Director for this region. I was voted into this post after Don Murphy retired. As one of the original people to start this group, the Utah Kite fliers, it is sad to see the disservice done to the kite fliers of Utah by not sharing all the facts about events in this state. I am here to correct that. I would encourage members of this site to look me up on Facebook,
                  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1661062778
                  email me at kevinbbayless@... or leave your comments here or on the AKA site forum for region 7.
                  http://www.aka.kite.org/kite-talk-forum/forum?id=37
                  April is National Kite Month and the AKA is going to issue grants for events that are put on in the spirit of the AKA base of education, Check out this link;
                  http://www.nationalkitemonth.org/main/index.shtml

                  Thanks

                  Kevin Bayless
                  Region 7 Director
                  AKA

                  --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, "jeffersz" <jeffersz@...> wrote:

                  > It is still a little early in the year for me, but I am looking to attend
                  as many events as I can this year. Work is extremely busy and I will have to shuffle things a bit, and with my son graduating from Marine's Boot Camp it will undoubtedly snub some availability in either April or May, we're just not sure which yet.

                  > I am very curious to learn more about
                  w:st="on">Bear Lake , it may just give me the excuse I've been looking for to break out the camping gear! It's been years since I've been up that way.

                  "Todd Copeland" <todd@> wrote:

                  > > So much going on right now I'm a little overwhelmed. I will have more
                  info
                  > > soon but here is what I have on kite events coming up in the near
                  future:

                  > > Dixie Escalante Electric Kite
                  Festival
                  > > St. George ,
                  w:st="on">UT
                  > > 4/16/2011
                  > >
                  > > Easter Eggstreme
                  > > Thanksgiving Point
                  > > 4/23/2011
                  > > Lehi ,
                  w:st="on">UT

                  > > Kiting Just for Fun
                  > > Idaho Falls ,
                  w:st="on">ID
                  > > 4/29/2011 - 4/30/2011
                  > >
                  > > Dog Days
                  > > Thanksgiving Point
                  > > Lehi ,
                  w:st="on">UT
                  > > 6/17/2011 - 6/18/2011
                  > >
                  > > Bear
                  w:st="on">Lake Kite Festival
                  > > Bear Lake ,
                  w:st="on">ID
                  > > 6/25/2011
                  > >
                  > > Wind Fest
                  > > Spanish Fork, UT
                  > > 8/2011
                  > >
                  > > Did I mention that there were a "few" festivals this year?
                  :)

                  > > As you may have noticed there is a new festival in
                  w:st="on">Montpelier , ID at Bear
                  > > Lake (the north side of the lake).
                  Good news for you members who are in
                  > > northern Utah ...
                  only about 2 hours away! Dean with Sunrise Kites is working
                  > > with the hosts of the events and I've also been speaking with them.
                  This
                  > > looks to be a really good event! It will take place on the beach next
                  to the
                  > > lake which is _huge_ (miles long and about 300 yards deep). It's also
                  all
                  > > open and I'm told the wind is always howling there. This will mark
                  the first
                  > > year of the event and the hosts are really excited to see how it will
                  turn
                  > > out. They are all for us setting up as many kites as we want, doing
                  demos,
                  > > candy drops, etc. They are looking into having music at the event as
                  well.
                  > > Dean will have a tent set up and will sell kites and also have a kite
                  > > building table for the kids.
                  > >
                  > > I've also been talking to the Thanksgiving Point people and they
                  would love
                  > > to have us down to fly kites during the two events mentioned above.
                  Several
                  > > of us made it out the prior year and it really was a lot of fun. We
                  really
                  > > goofed around all day and just had a good time flying.
                  > >
                  > > Then there is Dean's event, Kiting Just for Fun in
                  w:st="on">Idaho Falls . I don't
                  > > think I need to say much about this event... so many of us have been
                  to it
                  > > and always had a great time! It really draws in the kite fliers and
                  I'm sure
                  > > this year will be no different. Several dual line fliers and many
                  single
                  > > line fliers at this event. Not an event you want to miss.
                  > >
                  > > Then, you may have noticed... Wind Fest is back! Elaine will be
                  putting on
                  > > the event in Spanish Fork this year. I'm sure there will be a good
                  turn out
                  > > and there are a ton of people that attend.
                  > >
                  > > The first event of the year is the Kite Festival in St George. Really
                  > > _big_ event and they don't spare the expense. I know
                  w:st="on">AJ has been speaking
                  > > with them and this year _might_ have a few changes. It makes for a
                  great day
                  > > and there are tons of things going on.
                  > >
                  > > Here is the thing.... I need input from people on where they stand
                  with
                  > > these events. Are you planning on attending any... please let me know
                  this.
                  > > Would you like to plan on attending any but just don't know yet...
                  PLEASE
                  > > let me know this as well! Even if you won't be going to any, please
                  let me
                  > > know this as well so I know who's in and who's out. I need to be able
                  to let
                  > > people know how many people will me/might be attending.
                  > >
                  > > Again... PLEASE let me know where you stand (or in Monte's case
                  sit... knee
                  > > joke) on attending these events. It helps me communicate with the
                  host of
                  > > the event so that they can better understand what will be happening.
                  > >
                  > > As I get more info, I'll post it. If you have any questions, please
                  let me
                  > > know.

                • Wentzium
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                    I like kites.
                    I like flying kites.

                    This group was formed because we found that there were enough Utah-based people on KiteBuilder to create a Utah-based club... because we all like kites.  Let's focus on the kites.

                    A couple points we should all keep in mind:

                    -Considering that Kevin and Todd both were part of that initial movement to create UtahKiteFliers, it is not surprising that Kevin might be irritated when the club he helped form posts a list of events that doesn't include the one he helps organize (and which is the biggest in the state).
                    -Considering that Kevin and Todd are not on good terms, it is not surprising that Todd doesn't really want to bring up that event-- regardless of what he says, there is a good chance that people will get cranky about it.  And I'd guess that Todd probably doesn't get emails announcing that event, so it isn't surprising that he doesn't have the info to share.

                    We're all human, we all have feelings and the ability to get offended.  Let's just assume that everyone is doing his/her best to promote the activity we love, even though we disagree about the best ways in which to do that.

                    I try to keep my public comments neutral.  If there must be conflict, I think it is a good goal to keep the conflict in private exchanges rather than on forums or listserves.

                    I like kites.
                    I like flying kites.
                    Let's go fly a kite.

                    -Rachel
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011

                      The Thanksgiving Point events are really a lot of fun… laid back fun. The Easter event is fun as it’s one of the first events here in this area. Never know what the weather will be like though. Last year Steve, David and I were at Dog Days. I know I had a lot of fun and I think Steve and David did as well. We just kind of hung out and flew kites all day long. Talked to many people who came over and watched the kites. The people at Thanksgiving Point have always been super. I always enjoy flying there.

                      I’ll post more info later.

                      I was thinking about talking to a library about hanging some kites but I’m still a little up in the air about it. I don’t know anyone there and I don’t know how interested they would be. These days I also get busy helping organizations wanting to have kids build kites (helping with kite kits and talking about kites). So I try not to line too much stuff up.

                      Good to hear people are interesting in getting out and flying this year! I think it’s going to be a lot of fun.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                        There is a simple thing here which should be understood, my apologies for not explaining it before my post. When Kevin was first being appointed RD he called me on my cell to talk to me and asked for my opinion and help. He, just as I are very straigh-tforward which can at times be offensive to others. He asked that if something didn't come across well, he would be more than happy to have me tell him. There are those who do try to make sure ruffled feathers happen as less-often as possible even though it may not seem so. I support all who ask and have no reason nor care to waste time on petty arguing. I was simply doing as I had been asked. There you go!

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                          Wow, hit a nerve I suppose.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011
                            Not at all, just pointing out what you asked.

                            From: "long time ago was killer" <wakelesskites@...>
                            Sender: utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 23:05:23 -0000
                            To: <utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com>
                            ReplyTo: utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com

                            Wow, hit a nerve I suppose.

                            --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, breakinwindonline@... wrote:

                            > There is a simple thing here which should be understood, my apologies for not explaining it before my post. When Kevin was first being appointed RD he called me on my cell to talk to me and asked for my opinion and help. He, just as I are very straigh-tforward which can at times be offensive to others. He asked that if something didn't come across well, he would be more than happy to have me tell him. There are those who do try to make sure ruffled feathers happen as less-often as possible even though it may not seem so. I support all who ask and have no reason nor care to waste time on petty arguing. I was simply doing as I had been asked. There you go!

                          • monte anderson
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 5, 2011

                              Todd:

                              Micki Kawakami has had a bit of experience working with libraries and such.  I’m sure she’d share her wealth of knowledge with you.

                              Monte

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011

                                I’ve not seen Bear Lake in daylight but I’m told it is beautiful.  My personnel feeling is that any kiting festival held within a relative short traveling distance we should support.  Even if we only go to fly kites.  I feel an obligation to support Dean and now Bear Lake .  If we could get those two events built up that would be real feather in Southern Idaho, Northern Utah ’s hat. I’m not saying we should try and take over or anything but be there to support them.  Years ago Dean tried sponsoring two kite festivals in one summer, about a month apart.  The first was not well attended and the second one was.  But I was both of them.

                                At Present, I’m planning on attending all of the events I can.  Right now, I don’t know how many that will be.

                                Monte

                                From: wakelesskites@...
                                Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 03:25:17 +0000

> [...]

                                > Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring today, I sure hope he's right,
                                I've been out flying a few times this winter and I'm absolutely done with the cold! Let's hope the silly groundhog is actually right...Ugh.

                                > Smooth Winds everyone! :D
                                >
                                > -Jeff
                                >

                                > --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com,
                                "Todd Copeland" <todd@> wrote:

                                > > So much going on right now I'm a little overwhelmed. I will have more
                                info
                                > > soon but here is what I have on kite events coming up in the near

                                Kite Festival
                                > > St. George ,
                                UT
                                > > 4/16/2011
                                > >
                                > > Easter Eggstreme
                                > > Thanksgiving Point
                                > > 4/23/2011
                                > > Lehi ,
                                UT

                                > > Kiting Just for Fun
                                > > Idaho Falls ,
                                ID
                                > > 4/29/2011 - 4/30/2011
                                > >
                                > > Dog Days
                                > > Thanksgiving Point
                                > > Lehi ,
                                UT
                                > > 6/17/2011 - 6/18/2011
                                > >
                                > > Bear
                                Lake Kite Festival
                                > > Bear Lake ,
                                ID
                                > > 6/25/2011
                                > >
                                > > Wind Fest
                                > > Spanish Fork, UT
                                > > 8/2011
                                > >
                                > > Did I mention that there were a "few" festivals this year?
                                :)

                                > > As you may have noticed there is a new festival in
                                w:st="on"> Montpelier , ID at Bear
                                > > Lake (the north side of
                                the lake). Good news for you members who are in
                                > > northern Utah ...
                                only about 2 hours away! Dean with Sunrise Kites is working
                                > > with the hosts of the events and I've also been speaking with them.
                                This
                                > > looks to be a really good event! It will take place on the beach next
                                to the
                                > > lake which is _huge_ (miles long and about 300 yards deep). It's also
                                all
                                > > open and I'm told the wind is always howling there. This will mark
                                the first
                                > > year of the event and the hosts are really excited to see how it will
                                turn
                                > > out. They are all for us setting up as many kites as we want, doing
                                demos,
                                > > candy drops, etc. They are looking into having music at the event as
                                well.
                                > > Dean will have a tent set up and will sell kites and also have a kite
                                > > building table for the kids.
                                > >
                                > > I've also been talking to the Thanksgiving Point people and they
                                would love
                                > > to have us down to fly kites during the two events mentioned above.
                                Several
                                > > of us made it out the prior year and it really was a lot of fun. We
                                really
                                > > goofed around all day and just had a good time flying.
                                > >
                                > > Then there is Dean's event, Kiting Just for Fun in
                                w:st="on"> Idaho Falls . I don't

                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 6, 2011

                                  I agree 100%. I think the key is getting the word out. Radio, TV, newspapers, fliers, etc. I’m looking into getting in contact with kite fliers in the area to see if they can come out. I’ll also follow up with Dean and the hosts to see what they have planned and recommend doing as much advertising as possible.

                                  I’m please to hear that you are looking to attend all the events that you can. It’s always great to see and fly with you!

                                  Sounds like 2011 is shaping up to be a great kiting year!

                                  From: wakelesskites@...
                                  Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 03:25:17 +0000

> [...]

                                  > Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring today, I sure hope he's right,
                                  I've been out flying a few times this winter and I'm absolutely done with the cold! Let's hope the silly groundhog is actually right...Ugh.

                                  > Smooth Winds everyone! :D
                                  >
                                  > -Jeff
                                  >

                                  > --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com,
                                  "Todd Copeland" <todd@> wrote:

                                  > > So much going on right now I'm a little overwhelmed. I will have more
                                  info
                                  > > soon but here is what I have on kite events coming up in the near

                                  Kite Festival
                                  > > St. George ,
                                  UT
                                  > > 4/16/2011
                                  > >
                                  > > Easter Eggstreme
                                  > > Thanksgiving Point
                                  > > 4/23/2011
                                  > > Lehi ,
                                  UT

                                  > > Kiting Just for Fun
                                  > > Idaho Falls ,
                                  ID
                                  > > 4/29/2011 - 4/30/2011
                                  > >
                                  > > Dog Days
                                  > > Thanksgiving Point
                                  > > Lehi ,
                                  UT
                                  > > 6/17/2011 - 6/18/2011
                                  > >
                                  > > Bear
                                  Lake Kite Festival
                                  > > Bear Lake ,
                                  ID
> [...]
                                  with
                                  > > these events. Are you planning on attending any... please let me know
                                  this.
                                  > > Would you like to plan on attending any but just don't know yet...
                                  PLEASE
                                  > > let me know this as well! Even if you won't be going to any, please
                                  let me
                                  > > know this as well so I know who's in and who's out. I need to be able
                                  to let
                                  > > people know how many people will me/might be attending.
                                  > >
                                  > > Again... PLEASE let me know where you stand (or in Monte's case
                                  sit... knee
                                  > > joke) on attending these events. It helps me communicate with the
                                  host of
                                  > > the event so that they can better understand what will be happening.
                                  > >
                                  > > As I get more info, I'll post it. If you have any questions, please

                                • CHARLES TOPHAM
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 7, 2011
                                    Rachel

                                    Thanks for the good reply on the Wind Fest.

                                    Charles

                                    To: utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: todd@...
                                    Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 13:29:22 -0700

                                    From: wakelesskites@...
                                    Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 03:25:17 +0000

> [...]

                                    > > with them and this year _might_ have a few changes. It makes for a great day
                                    > > and there are tons of things going on.
                                    > >
                                    > > Here is the thing.... I need input from people on where they stand with
                                    > > these events. Are you planning on attending any... please let me know this.
                                    > > Would you like to plan on attending any but just don't know yet... PLEASE
                                    > > let me know this as well! Even if you won't be going to any, please let me
                                    > > know this as well so I know who's in and who's out. I need to be able to let
                                    > > people know how many people will me/might be attending.
                                    > >
                                    > > Again... PLEASE let me know where you stand (or in Monte's case sit... knee
                                    > > joke) on attending these events. It helps me communicate with the host of
                                    > > the event so that they can better understand what will be happening.
                                    > >
                                    > > As I get more info, I'll post it. If you have any questions, please let me

                                  • Scott Madsen
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 8, 2011
                                      Thanks for posting this info.  I am hoping to attend any and all of these events this summer, but will not be able to know too far in advance for most of them- that's just the way my work life goes, unfortunately.

                                      I am especially hoping to make the Bear Lake event, that sounds great!  Also the Kite Fest in ID Falls, and the Antelope Isl events.  If I'm not out in the boonies working will also plan on the local Thanksgiving Point events.  Speaking of which, for those of us still relatively new to the valley, where exactly are these events held?  Up on the hang gliding area above town?  I still haven't been there yet.

                                      Hopefully more specific times and places will be announced as things shape up so those of us who aren't so familiar with the area (and have awkward schedules) can plan as far in advance as possible.

                                      Thanks again,

                                      Scott Madsen

[...]

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                          utahkitefliers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          utahkitefliers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 8, 2011

                                        Thanksgiving Point is in Lehi , UT which is just south of the Salt Lake City . Yes, very close to Point of the Mountain. But it’s on the west side of I-15. You can see it easily from I-15, there is a large water tower in front of it. Both of the event there are on the area behind the movie theater (the building with dinosaurs on it). That park is divided into 4 quadrants and we fly in one of them. Thanksgiving Point usually sees some good wind. As always, it can be hit and miss but usually if it’s blowing someplace, it’s blowing at Thanksgiving Point. Last year at Dog Days Steve, Matt (I think I might have said Dave before, sorry) and I flew most of the day:

                                        http://www.utahkitefliers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=96

                                        It’s always fun to fly there.

                                        We should also certainly plan on some fun flies… as soon as it stops snowing and warms up! )