Upcoming Year

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
      So how is everyone doing? Staying dry and warm I hope. It's now 2011 so I
      thought I'd ask... is there something anyone would like to see done in the
      club? Anyone have any projects that they might want to share?

      I think it's time to start digging through your kite bag and getting those
      much needed repairs in as Spring will be here before you know it! 2011 is
      already turning out to be a _very_ busy year! I think there are 4 events in
      April, at least one in June and then in August. Really a lot going on...
      very quickly. Most of these are right here in SLC with a couple being in
      Idaho. Stay tuned... I think there is a new event coming right across the
      Idaho border (good for you northern Utah members!).

      Please feel free to reply with any news or just to let us know how you are
      doing.

      In the meantime I did take a tip to Florida for a kite festival. I post some
      pictures that may get you in the kiting mood:

      http://www.tiskk.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69

      -Todd Copeland
    • monte anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011

        It’s snowing outside and you’re sending me pictures of sunny Florida ?

        I’ve been waiting for better weather to get here.  I’ve had one knee replaced and the other is being replaced this Wed.

        By spring I may be ready to go kiting.  Actually I’m ready to go now, but the weather it too lousily.

        You mentioned Kiting events in Idaho .  The last time I e-mailed Micki she said she had someone lined up to do the festival in Pocatello but I’ve not heard how that’s going.

        Dean’s event is really tips on my lists.  It seems to get bigger and better each year.

        I don’t know yet how much traveling I’ll be doing this kite season.  We’ve had some events happen that may seriously restrict our activities.  I’ll just have to wait and see.

        Monte

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011

          Don’t push that snow down this way! I’ve had about enough of that white stuff. Just look at the pictures, close your eyes and then click your heals together three times….

          Not Micki’s event but there is Dean’s and possibly another just across the Idaho border. As I get more info, I’ll let you know. Nice thing about this one… if it happens, it’s really close. I do like Dean’s event and it’s good to see it grow. I’d like to see the UKF get together a little more in a tight group at the event. That is, have a tent set up with chairs and such so that we can all get together.

          Sorry to hear about the knee but I’m hoping you will be better as it heals. Take it easy and get some light exercise.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
            Looking forward to the spring myself, I looked at the previous mentioned kiting event and most fall on my payday weekends, as do many of the airshows I like to attend. Should be a fun year I hope. I know we talked about it briefly the last time we went flying, but, would you be able to fix my parafoil? I dont have a sewing machine or a clue how to fix it. I am planning a trip to West Marine on 7200 South soon, so I could bring it by. Let me know.
            Steve

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011

              I’m going to be taking it easy for a month or more depending on when the Dr releases me.  I think I’ll haul out my sewing machine and try making a red diamond kite.  My wife knows a lady in Australia whose son flew a red diamond until he died of a caner.  I want to do it in his memory.  Is it hard to sew a kite?  I think it would be fun trying.

              Monte

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2011
                It is very easy to sew a kite after reading Kite Sewing 101.

                Pay attention to everything it says about fabric, needles, bobbins and thread.

                You might maybe want to consider an Eddy instead of a Diamond, but that is just my personal preference. Your mileage may vary.

                Good luck, have fun!