Great flying today!

  • Scott Madsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2010
      Hi, I'm Scott and I'm pretty new to sport kites and even newer to this group. Just wanted to say that this sort of activity never would have been possible in mid-winter at my old home in the Uintah Basin and I'm loving the Salt Lake weather! Today, Sunday, it was so nice out I took Todd's advice and tried out the field at Eisenhower Jr High for the first time. It was the perfect afternoon!!! 60 degrees, winds about 2-10mph and no one else at the field other than a dog-walker or two. Got several hours of flying in with the Prism 3-D, learned a new thing or two, and had the best time enjoying the crystal clear skies and views of the mountains (during my walks of shame to recover the crashes).

      The only thing that might have improved the day was having some company. I'm hoping to rub elbows with folks who have some skills with a stunt kite, so if the weekend weather is reasonable and anyone feels like flying this winter, give me a call. I live in Glendale so Saltair has been my best field to fly until the weather really got cold, though I checked it out last weekend and it really wasn't all that bad. But it's hard to beat the grass at Eisenhower. Anyway, I look forward to meeting some of you one of these days soon.

      Scott Madsen (email me for my phone #)
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2010
        Scott, would have loved to gone out and flown... just shoot an email out
        next time! I do need to get some flying time in over the next month. Thanks
        for the email and keep them coming... always good to see, especially during
        the "cooler" months. If you take any photos feel free to post them on the
        board. Love to see photos!

        Reminder to everyone... Kiting Just for Fun on April up in Idaho Falls.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 2010
          Hey Todd,
          Will give it a try next time the weather's good. I seem to be having a senior moment when it comes to logging on to this site, both the UKF forum and Yahoo, so I might have to recover my usernames and passwords.

          My phone, for anyone who wants to fly, is 801-657-0067, just please don't sell this to Amway or other sucker lists, please!

          What I wanted to post to the group was another great resource for local kite fliers that I just discovered, at least it is new to me.

          For up to the minute flying conditions (esp the wind speed and direction), try the Weather Underground site and go to SLC or where ever. Below the radar image on the left side of the screen click on WunderMap and you get a GoogleEarth image with dozens of colored flags showing weather conditions updated every couple of minutes at stations all over the valley. There's one out at the Marina by Saltair and Taylorsville is pretty much surrounded by them, in fact I checked out the wind before I went out there on Sunday and it was dead on accurate. There don't seem to be any stations at Antelope Island (pretty unbelievable with the watercraft), but they are scattered like a shotgun pattern up and down the Wasatch front. They haven't let me down yet and can save you some futile driving for wind!
          Gotta run,

          Scott

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 13, 2010
            You don't need to log into Yahoo Groups... just send the email to
            utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com.

            You can also set your preference to deliver emails so you get them sent to
            your email reader.