Upcoming Events

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2010
      Just a quick email to let everyone know about 2 kite events that are coming
      up on April. Yes, it's only about 2 months away!

      The first event is the Dixie Escalante Kite Festival in St George. It takes
      place on 4/17/10. I've been speaking with some of the Las Vegas fliers to
      see if they may want to meet up and do some flying. The flying area for more
      advance fliers is a little small (about 200'x60') but it would be really
      nice to get together with other fliers in the area. While the powers that be
      have indicated that they don't see the space becoming larger, who knows...
      perhaps they might change their minds if they saw some more kites.

      The other even is Kiting Just for fun in Idaho Falls. This is put on by Dean
      and Sharon (?) with Sunrise Kites. It's really a lot of fun. The nice thing
      about this event is that there is _plenty_ of room, there is a sound system,
      several fliers show up from around and the sky is the limit on what we could
      do. Dean would love to see us do whatever we'd want to do.... perhaps even
      some type of informal competition! Jeff, Theresa, Monte, Miki and I have
      attended this even a few times in the past and it's really a lot of fun. It
      usually takes place the last week in April. I'll have to speak with Dean and
      nail down some details. This is an AKA sanctioned event.

      I just wanted to send out a quick email to remind everyone that spring will
      be here before you know it. It's time to check that kite bag and repair
      anything that needs to be repaired and perhaps even pick up some new items.

      I'll send out more information on these events in the future!

      Also, I think April is National Kite month if memory serves me correctly.
    • monte anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 25, 2010

        Todd:

        Thanks for the email.  I was just thinking about you, and the club, the other day.  I’m looking forward to getting my kites out and flying again.  I just don’t care for cold weather all that much.

        I really want to make it to the Dixie Escalante Kite Festival one of these years.  I’ve wanted to go for about five years now.  Unfortunately my youngest daughter in Hawaii has decided to get married the first part of March, so there goes my PTO (Personal Time Off).  I’m not going to go to Hawaii for a day or two; I’m going to stay for as long as possible.

        I too enjoy Dean’s Kiting Just for Fun.  I’m afraid that may fall by the way side this also.  But Hawaii has some pretty neat flying areas also.

        Monte

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2010
          Such a nice spring day! I trust this weather will continue and we are
          thinking more and more about flying kites.

          Just a few reminders...

          National Kite Month:

          March 27 - May 2

          http://www.nationalkitemonth.org/

          "National Kite Month is a not-for-profit venture co-founded by the American
          Kitefliers Association and the Kite Trade Association International. Kite
          events around the world help introduce people to the fun of kiteflying, the
          rich history of kites, the stunning artistry of kitemakers, and how kites
          can be used as educational tools."

          Right now there are two events listed for Utah. Keep in mind that there are
          many ways to support this endeavor and they are listed on the website.
          Events don't have to be big... you just need to get a couple of people
          together, post the information and be out flying! You might be surprised who
          shows up.

          Here are a few other things that can be done:

          "Supporting the big events through attending or volunteering!
          Becoming a Kite Advocate!
          Organizing a local fly! Or, organize a few events throughout the month...the
          more the better!!
          Contacting your local store and offering to help them with a reception!
          Scheduling an indoor kite demonstration! (A REAL MEDIA DRAW!)
          Contacting your local library or shopping mall and offer to help set up a
          kite display for the month!
          Posting kite information (& links to this site and others) on your web
          sites!
          Lobbying your local park district to keep wide open spaces for kiters!
          Calling your local school, park district, or public library and offering to
          present a kite workshop!
          Contacting your local hobby shop and ask them to carry kites! Be sure to
          give them the link to the KTA!
          Emailing CNN, ESPN, or any of the other major networks and ask them to show
          footage of kiting!
          Inviting your local celebrities (Mayors, Athletes, Police Officers, Etc) to
          try kiting (Don't forget to get the media there)!
          Organizing a kite fly as part of a fund raising project for charity!
          Inviting members of other established community action groups to attend a
          kite fly (Kiwanis, Girl & Boy Scouts, Jaycees, etc.)!"

          Send an email out to this Yahoo Group with a date you plan in flying and
          where. I'm sure others are interesting joining you!

          American Kitefliers Association:

          http://www.aka.kite.org/

          The Utah Kite Fliers club is an AKA Affiliated club. We certainly encourage
          people to join. It's $40/year for a membership. Personally, I think this
          membership is worth the price just for the two following things... a 10%
          discount from all AKA merchants (this can easily pay for the membership dues
          alone) and also Kiting Magazine. The magazine is very well done and contains
          a lot of good information.

          Some people (including myself) have asked the question... "what does the AKA
          do for me". While this is a good question, look at it this way. The AKA
          members _are_ the AKA. So you are really asking, "what do other kite fliers
          do for me" and "what do I do for other kite fliers". By joining the AKA you
          are supporting other AKA members and they are in turn supporting you. There
          are many benefits to belonging to the AKA. While you may not be taking
          advantage of them all, you are allowing many other people the opportunity to
          make use of these benefits. For example, many kite festivals could not exist
          if it were not for the insurance the AKA offers.

          Consider joining or renewing.

          Lastly....

          Several new people have joined the UKF and with another season approaching I
          thought it might be good for as many of us to get together and perhaps have
          an dinner meeting at an inexpensive restaurant. Most people are located in
          the SLC area so I thought we might choose a place in Bountiful to meet.
          Anyone have an idea on where and preference on when? I understand some
          people won't be able to attend due to their distances away from the area.

          The club has also been contacted by several people who wanted to know if we
          might be interested in flying at their events and/or helping out this
          season.

          March 27th a Ward in Bountiful is having a kite making workshop for
          children. They have ordered kits for them to make and will be flying them in
          the parking lot area afterwards. The workshop will be about an hour and 1/2
          and it's this next Saturday. Anyone interested in helping me out for a
          couple of hours?

          http://www.utahkitefliers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77
          Dixie Escalante Kite Festival is 4/17! Warm weather, great people,
          entertainment, and did I mention it was free. It's held in St George UT.

          http://www.utahkitefliers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86
          Kiting Just for Fun is 4/24 in Idaho Falls. Several members have mentioned
          an interest in this event. Several of us have been to the last few events
          and it's always a good time. Large flying fields, music, food, and Dean and
          Vickie are great hosts. Lots of parking and it's free (bring some canned
          goods for donation to the Idaho Food Bank and/or eat some free food provided
          by Farmers Insurance and make a donation).

          If anyone has any questions or anything, feel free to give me a call or send
          me an email.

          Todd Copeland
          813-368-0102
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 29, 2012
            There are many events coming up in April, about a month away, that I wanted to remind everyone about:

            April 7 - Easter Eggstream at Thanksgiving Point
            April 14 - Sights and Sounds of Brigham City
            April 28 - Kiting Just For Fun in Idaho Falls

            These are just a few events going on this season. I'm really excited that more and more events for us to fly at are popping up. There is also Bear Lake and Internation Days in South Jordan. Not to mention the event in Laramie, WY.

            What I need to know is who is planning on going to what, who might be going to what... anything input you can give me. Its difficult to line up events without know what the turn out might be. If you think you can make it but something comes up, that is perfectly understandable. Anything you can tell me is helpful.

            Some of these are smaller events where we have been asked to fly kites. Some of these are bigger festivals that can br grown into something larger. We'd all like to have more big festivals in our backyard but they need support to get bigger.

            We started up only a few years ago with really nothing. Now there are around 10 events every year that take place. Everyone who makes it to any of these events should really be proud of that! Even the fun flies we have attract people who become interested in flying kites.

            I can't send this email without mentioning Micki in Boise. Let me know if you have something planned!
          • Monte Anderson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 29, 2012

              Todd:

              This is how my calendar is looking for April.

                  7 Apr I’ll have to pass on.

                14 Apr I can attend that one.

                 28 Apr after the kite festival we’ll depart for OR and WA.  We’ll make some rather unimportant stops (visiting Gerry’s side of the family) along the

              way but I’ll be going to Long Beach WA to the Kite Museum and to fly in that area.  We’ll return here the second week of May.

              9 Jun still waiting to work that one out.

              Monte