Kite Flying

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
      As I look outside at the 2" of snow that just fell and as I pack up some
      kites to be shipped out to Florida for a kite festival, I'm also reading the
      latest issue of the AKA Kiting magazine. I read the opening paragraph of The
      President's Page:

      "When asked why he started the AKA, Bob Ingraham replied, "I like to fly
      kites with my friends.""

      So few words say so much. This is so true. I've flown by myself and I've
      flown with other people... with other people is so much better! To see other
      people fly, to exchange thoughts and ideas, to see several kites up in the
      air... it's all so much better with friends.

      Also, there was a very nice article submitted by Kevin on the Antelope
      Island Festival. Good to see info being put out about Utah!

      This time of year we send to move kites to the back of their storage areas.
      We tend to forget about kiting for a few months. Now is a good time to break
      out those kites and make some repairs. Create some new lines for next
      season. Perhaps even put together a kite just for show or to fly. Keep the
      spirit alive... and stay warm! :)
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2010
        It's winter, it's cold and as I look out of my window... it's snowing. What
        better time to send out an email about kite flying next year! :)

        Many... many events to take place in 2011. I think so far I count five
        events ranging from St George up to Idaho Falls. There is at least one new
        event that could prove to be interesting and _very_ close to our members in
        northern Utah (yeah for members in northern Utah!).

        One more holiday to go and then things should settle down for a little
        while. Time to break out the kites, check for problems and make repairs...
        Spring will be here before you know it. I don't know about anyone else but
        I've been putting the sewing machine through its paces and am about to break
        out a few kites for some repairs. It's then into a box for some of them and
        shipped to Florida for a kite festival (1/14-1/17). Lots of people attending
        the Treasure Island, FL event this year... I'm really looking forward to it.

        So... anyone else have any news? Anyone want to give a shout out to the
        group? Anyone crazy enough to go out flying in this weather?
      • Scott Madsen
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 27, 2010
          Not such great weather lately, but my wife and I had a great little impromptu session with the 3-D at Glendale Park on Christmas afternoon. For about 2 hours it was just warm enough and sweet light winds. What a relief! Spring can't come soon enough though, got a new toy coming soon.

          Todd, could you let us know what the Utah events are so we can plan ahead as much as possible? When the good weather arrives and the ground dries I'm drafted for fieldwork much of the summer. The more lead time I can get, the better my chances of getting away.

          Thanks for the note!
          Scott

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 27, 2010
            Will do. So far I can say that the Dixie Kite festival is 4/16 in St George:

            http://www.dixiekitefestival.com/

            AJ has/will have more info on the St George event. I'm (we're) hopeful that
            they might open it up a bit this year (AJ... any word on this?). If I go
            anyone I can fit in my vehicle is welcome to tag along. I usually stay in
            Cedar City on the way back and I think a nice room can be had for about $45.

            Dean's Kiting Just for Fun is 4/29 and 4/30. Kiting Just for Fun is in Idaho
            Falls but it's probably one the better event for all around kite flying. It
            attracts _several_ UKF members and the sky is the limit on what can be flown
            and done. It attracts a lot of fliers from different areas.

            There is another event that looks to be starting up this year. It's set for
            June 24th and is very close by. I'll post more info on this and a few other
            events once I have more info. As we get a few months away I'll certainly
            send out more detailed info.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
              Hard to believe that we are almost half way through January! Well, the
              temps outside might be a reminder. As such, it might be difficult to
              imagine that the first festivals in the area are about 3 months away.
              I spoke to Bill Hayes who will be taking over the Idaho Falls event
              with the Bangal Breeze club and they are setting up to have the event
              on 4/27/13 again at Sandy Downs in Idaho Falls.

              Might be time to break out the kites and give them the once over, make
              repairs and get ready for the next flying season!
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21, 2014
                Heading out to Taylorsville Rec in a couple of hours. Planing on being out until 6pm or so.