Thanksgiving Point 8/14 - 8/15

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
      A little late notice but the event at Thanksgiving Point is this following
      weekend! Details are as follows:

      20th Annual Great Salt Lake Truck Show

      WHEN
      August 14: 10 am - 10 pm
      August 15: 10 am - 6 pm

      WHERE
      ** Electric Park **

      SHOW LOCATION
      Thanksgiving Point
      3003 Thanksgiving Way
      Lehi, UT
      (801) 768-4999

      West of I-15, exit 284

      This is billed as the Great Salt Lake Truck show. I spoke to Bethanie about
      the event and she initially contacted the club as she would like to have us
      come out and fly kites. This is an event to benefit the National Kidney
      Foundation. From the start of the club it was agreed that we'd like to do
      things to support kids. I think this is the perfect event to do just that!

      I don't know if I will be able to make it out on Friday but I can be there
      on Saturday. So far the weather looks pretty good that weekend.

      Please let me know if you are planning on attending or if you have any
      questions!
    • Kevin Bayless
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
        I'm sorry, Todd you two faced weasel POS, you where told by Bethany that you had to coordinate any kite activities through me, you have not and frankly you would be better off not showing up, this is not a Utah Kite Fliers event. This is so very typical of your way of operation, you don't want to be involved in the planning or organization of any events, you just want to show up.

        I suggest you find some where else to fly Sat. you will not be welcome on the field that has been dedicated for flying.

        You know how I feel about what you have done.

        --In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Copeland" <todd@...> wrote:

        > A little late notice but the event at Thanksgiving Point is this following
        > weekend! Details are as follows:
        >
        > 20th Annual Great Salt Lake Truck Show
        >
        > WHEN
        > August 14: 10 am - 10 pm
        > August 15: 10 am - 6 pm
        >
        > WHERE
        > ** Electric Park **
        >
        > SHOW LOCATION
        > Thanksgiving Point
        > 3003 Thanksgiving Way
        > Lehi, UT
        > (801) 768-4999
        >
        > West of I-15, exit 284
        >
        > This is billed as the Great Salt Lake Truck show. I spoke to Bethanie about
        > the event and she initially contacted the club as she would like to have us
        > come out and fly kites. This is an event to benefit the National Kidney
        > Foundation. From the start of the club it was agreed that we'd like to do
        > things to support kids. I think this is the perfect event to do just that!
        >
        > I don't know if I will be able to make it out on Friday but I can be there
        > on Saturday. So far the weather looks pretty good that weekend.
        >
        > Please let me know if you are planning on attending or if you have any
        > questions!

      • Kevin Bayless
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
          I'm Sorry, Todd. You were told specifically by Beth that any kite
          activity at Thanksgiving Point had to be coordinated through me, the
          available area for flying is very limited and there will not be any room
          for additional fliers. I have communicated with others and have a full
          agenda for this event.

          Fact is you have demonstrated very well your selfish mode of operation,
          you don't want to be involved in the planning and organization required
          for a successful event you just want to show up.

          You know what I think about what you have attempted to do with organized
          kite flying in Utah, and to an extent you have accomplished something,
          the formation of a club in your mind.

          Please do not show up at the events I am at, and if you do stay the hell
          away from me.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
            I called and spoke to Bethanie a few days ago. I explained that initially
            she contacted the Utah Kite Fliers and asked if we'd be able to fly at the
            event. I asked Kevin to follow up with her and let us know the details. He
            replied that he would do this. Unfortunately, further information was never
            passed onto the club as a whole. I asked Bethanie if the offer was still
            open to the club to fly. She explained that she did not want to get in the
            middle of the situation but stated that the offer was still open.

            When a request is sent the club as a whole, I certainly pass on this
            information to the club, as a whole. No one is excluded and everyone is
            invited to fly. Certainly if I had known that the person asked to follow up
            on this event was not going to keep everyone informed as they stated, I
            would have been more then happy to have done so. I would except if someone
            were not going to follow through with what they said they would do that they
            let those affected know so that things can be taken care of. Unfortunately,
            this did not happen.

            Bethanie has stated that Friday is an important day as the media will be
            there, which will help to bring in more people on Saturday. She would like
            to know if people can make it that day as well as Saturday. She asked that
            we let her know the name of people and the days that they can show up so
            that she can provide this information to security. Please reply here or send
            me an email (_asap_) and let me know if you can make it out to this even on
            Friday, and/or Saturday. Again, if you can make it on Friday that would be
            great!

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
              Just wanted to note a few things so people were not confused...

              Initially Bethanie contacted the Utah Kite Fliers and asked if we might be
              able to fly at the event. This contact was made through the UKF website
              (which has been great for the club as its lead to most requests for use to
              fly at events). These contacts come to my email and I pass them onto the
              club as a whole. In this case I forwarded the email to Kevin as, at the
              time, he expressed an interest in coordinating all requests for the UKF to
              fly at events. Unfortunately it appears the Kevin has chosen not to be a
              part of the club and has developed much animosity toward me. As mentioned, I
              consider this is unfortunate. Certainly had I been asked by _anyone_ for any
              help or assistance with an event I would have been more the willing to lend
              a hand. I just was never asked.

              I certainly do my best to support the club... I've put the website in place
              (I'm proud of the redesign), I've had shirts made up for anyone who wants to
              buy them at cost (still have some left... hint, hint), with the help of
              other AKA members (thanks!) I helped set up the UKF as an AKA affiliated
              club, I ordered 'business' cards so we could hand them out to people who
              wanted more information (most of them with correct spelling), I've attended
              many kite events in Utah and Idaho and made people aware of the club. I've
              also kept everyone informed with everything that I know related to the club.
              I think I've done quite a bit to help the club. I hope I've done well but
              I've certainly had my moments of failure. I can only just keep plugging away
              and doing my part to promote kite flying and supporting the UKFs.

              Personally, I have no issue flying with anyone. I would encourage anyone and
              everyone to pick up a kite and fly wherever and whenever. That is my
              personal goal and a reason why I want to be a part of the UKFs.

              At the end of the day, it's all about flying. I've said it before but
              perhaps now is a good time to repeat... it's all about flying. It does not
              matter if your one person out flying a kite, two people getting together to
              fly after work, or attending a kite festival. It's all about the love of
              flying a kite and doing it whenever and wherever you get the chance! Get out
              to a park and just out a SLK into the sky. You'd be amazed at what a great
              feeling that creates. If you see someone flying a kite, stop a moment and
              let them know how good their kite looks in the sky. Better yet, fly yours
              next to theirs... you never know where it will lead.

              I'm sorry, Todd you two faced weasel POS, you where told by Bethany that you
              had to coordinate any kite activities through me, you have not and frankly
              you would be better off not showing up, this is not a Utah Kite Fliers
              event. This is so very typical of your way of operation, you don't want to
              be involved in the planning or organization of any events, you just want to
              show up.

              I suggest you find some where else to fly Sat. you will not be welcome on
              the field that has been dedicated for flying.

              You know how I feel about what you have done.

              --In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Copeland" <todd@...> wrote:

              > A little late notice but the event at Thanksgiving Point is this following
              > weekend! Details are as follows:
              >
              > 20th Annual Great Salt Lake Truck Show
              >
              > WHEN
              > August 14: 10 am - 10 pm
              > August 15: 10 am - 6 pm
              >
              > WHERE
              > ** Electric Park **
              >
              > SHOW LOCATION
              > Thanksgiving Point
              > 3003 Thanksgiving Way
              > Lehi, UT
              > (801) 768-4999
              >
              > West of I-15, exit 284
              >
              > This is billed as the Great Salt Lake Truck show. I spoke to Bethanie
              about
              > the event and she initially contacted the club as she would like to have
              us
              > come out and fly kites. This is an event to benefit the National Kidney
              > Foundation. From the start of the club it was agreed that we'd like to do
              > things to support kids. I think this is the perfect event to do just that!
              >
              > I don't know if I will be able to make it out on Friday but I can be there
              > on Saturday. So far the weather looks pretty good that weekend.
              >
              > Please let me know if you are planning on attending or if you have any
              > questions!

            • Wentzium
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
                Kevin, Todd-- I know that you are both frustrated at this point.
                I'm going to request that you both step back for at least 24-48 hours before you say or do anything else about this.  I know it isn't the easiest thing at this point, but I still think we can work something out.

                I think it would be beneficial for all the kite-flyers in this area if Todd & Kevin could work out some kind of truce or agreement so that things will go smoothly when there are events-- and more importantly, so that event coordinators don't feel caught in the middle and decide to avoid all of us.

                (And so that members of the group don't feel caught in the middle either.)

                Some things to consider:

                - We *did* agree to have Kevin coordinate events.
                - Todd's website *is* the route through which most contacts are made.

                As far as those two statements go, no one is "right" or "wrong."  I think we need to realize that both of them have a justifiable claim-- a claim to be "in charge" *and* a claim to being frustrated with each other...

                The members at large never voted for leadership positions.  I guess this was a mistake, because I think the genesis of all the conflict is confusion over (A) who is the leader (B) whether or not leadership is being usurped.

                Let me just put this out there:
                - Both Kevin and Todd are clearly interested and dedicated to helping grow kite-flying in our area.
                - Kevin excels at networking and has the mind-set and dedication to get event flying set-up.
                - Todd gets the administrative details taken care of and publicizes-- pushing forward to get a website done, business cards printed, a member-list started, paperwork filed.

                These are all things that can be useful to the group as a whole.  I really think we should try to work together.  In the hope of that possibility, let me reference a couple grievances (so that maybe we can put them behind us).
                - The AKA Affiliated Club Registration
                Todd did the paperwork to get UKF affiliated with the AKA.
                My original impression was that this was a positive thing-- a hoop that needed jumping-through had been jumped.  Yay!  However--  others have pointed out that the application form requires the names of two club officers.  We haven't elected any officers.  What are the names on the form?

                This is one of the things that has caused friction.  The feeling is that if Todd chose "officers" to put on the form without consulting anyone, it is as if he declared himself president.  (Note:  I have no idea whose names are on the form-- so maybe Todd declared Mickey Mouse president, and he didn't usurp any authority at all.  But the possibility that he named himself without consulting anyone has really upset some people.)

                If, in fact, Todd just chose a couple names so that the form could be turned in (and I'm guessing that we can submit new names if we elect officers) will everyone feel warm and fuzzy about the fact that Todd did the paperwork for us?

                - The Fiasco at Easter
                There were mis-communications, we were double-booked, and we learned that we aren't all drawn to the same type of kite event, nor do we all feel the same way about the requirements a club can make of us.

                In the wake of this, Kevin said he would be the president.
                My original impression was that this was simply about having one leader, so as to avoid future snafus.  However-- others pointed out that a unilateral decision like that was unfair, since no vote was taken.

                This caused a lot of friction as well.  The feeling is that (if you'll forgive a Star Wars reference), it was like Kevin was Chancellor Palpatine-- declaring himself Emperor during the Clone War.  It was allegedly done to make things run more smoothly, but what if it was really a power-grab?  (Note:  At the previous club meeting we discussed electing officers, and Todd suggested that we just name Kevin president and be done with it.  We didn't make it official, but no one at the meeting actually had a problem with the idea.   So Kevin definitely had reason to think that no one would object to his becoming president a few weeks later.)

                If we just start at square one and say, "Hey, no one is the president.  We haven't voted on it." can we all feel happy and fairly represented?

                I know that we have differing ideas of what a kite club should be-- maybe that means we should have two divisions or two clubs-- one that is about casual flying, one that is about event flying.  I don't know.  But for the good of the hobby (sport?) in this area, I think it needs to be possible for a person to be involved in both if he or she wishes.

                Give it some consideration, everybody.
                Let's find a way to stand in a field, looking up, and enjoy sharing that field.

                -Rachel
              • monte anderson
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009

                  Todd:

                  I can’t make it to the GSL Truck show at Thanksgiving Point next week end.

                  I work with a woman who collects kits and occasionally flies.  She’s not interested in joining a club but I would like to get her a schedule of kite flying events for her use.  Would please provide me a list of all the events you have?

                  Thanks,

                  Monte

                  .

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009

                    Sorry to hear that Monte… but I know you have an “odd” schedule. J

                    The list of events is on the UKF forum, under Kite Events:

                    http://www.utahkitefliers.org/phpbb3/index.php

                    There are 4 events listed that are coming up. As mentioned… it’s all about flying so please encourage her to come out and fly whenever! If she stops by and see’s one of use flying, please let her know to stop by and say, hey!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 9, 2009

                      Rachel, I think you might be trying to go backward. I think it’s more important that things move forward and we don’t dwell on the past. It appears that Kevin has chosen not to be a member of the club and not participate in it. This is his choice and I certainly respect that. There is no need for vulgar name calling or attempts to undermine the club (to say the least). If a person chooses not to be a part of the UKF, then this is a choice they have. I have no problem with being on the same flying field as Kevin but it appears that he has an issue with this. Again, that is his choice. What happened in the past is history. It can’t be changed and I see no reason to bring it all up again. It only serves to start the whole ordeal again… something I know _no one_ wants.

                      In the future I think you will see that the club is just as when it started… a way for kite flyers to get together, promote kite flying and as a means for other people interested in flying to find us. But we _do_ need to move forward and we have been doing that.

                      Personally, I’m very interested in having some type of kite workshop where we can make invite the public to join in. Workshops are great in that they are perfect for kids, they get to build something themselves and it promotes kiting. If I recall correctly you set up a kite display at a local library. These are great places to host the event… hint, hint. J Perhaps a local Home Depot or Lowes might donate some boxes of plastic bags or Tyvek.