Re: A MEETING

  • Tad
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2 7:03 AM
      JEEEEEEEEEZZZ....this sounds familiar....I would love to be involved in the forming of an OFFICIAL club. (minus all of the emotions and drama that seems to happen with this group.)Do you guys really think that is possible this time??

      It would be very cool if we implement a "Join" link on the website. (As long as the new club member was willing to pay dues) I am still very adamant about the belief that no one will take part in this club seriously until they put up some money. That is logical. With the responsibility of submitting dues comes the need for involvement. These dues don't have to be astronomical. I think that we were talking about $50.00 a year? Once a club member is "Official" then we can start to have organized meetings with leadership and direction as a group instead of every individual for themselves.
      The only way this meeting will work is if we establish an agenda and have someone who can keep us on point for every item on the agenda. This must be ageed upon before the meeting starts. I agree with the agenda that Kevin and I have laid out. Officers, dues, mission statement and AKA recognition. After getting to know some of the potential members, I think that Rachael's a good choice for running the meeting. She has a good personality and flare for being articulate and is able to communicate logically. I agree with Kevin, she really needs to not only be there, but run the meeting.
      If this is possible for everyone to consider, than I would be proud to join the club and have a meeting. If we are just going to hash over the small stuff and take this so seriously that it wont be fun, than I don't really see the point at all and my time would be better spent elsewhere.

      I am so excited about the potential for the Antelope Island festival. With the effort of a well oiled club machine, we could make this thing THE kiting event of the world. The ground work has been laid out and all we have to do is organize and follow through.

      I welcome any viewpoints from all on this matter....Sound off !

      On another note: Has anyone heard from Elaine on the Spanish Fork festival? What is going on with that? Anyone? just curious....

      TadMan

      Message 2 of 16 , May 2 9:31 AM
        Tad, you kind of mentioned dues in some prior posts. I know when I brought
        it up before that most people were against it. I thought you were as well.
        Perhaps I was wrong. Personally, it does not matter to me either way. I can
        understand why some people want them and some people don't. Even I have my
        list of likes and dislikes about dues. Biggest dislikes are that they are a
        huge pain in the butt to collect. Perhaps with 5 or 6 members it's easier...
        but when/if the numbers get higher the person in charge of collecting may
        need to search down and hound people. It's more difficult to get people to
        join when dues are collected. How is it determined what the money will be
        spent on. The list goes on. But also there are cases where the club might
        need something that cost money. Having some money would certainly help. The
        $75 AKA insurance is a good example. Of course there is a good
        alternative... each person in the club makes a donation as needed instead of
        dues. At the time this was brought up before an idea of raising funds was
        also brought up instead of charging dues. That was another good idea that we
        may want to add to the subject.

        I agree that there needs to be an agenda but it cannot be as vague as one
        word. It needs to include a proposal as well. The person bring up the item
        should write out a short paragraph on what they want done and how. For
        example... Officers... this came up last meeting but the only thing
        mentioned was it's a good idea or a not a good idea. That was not really
        going to accomplish anything. If the proposal is to have Officers then the
        person making the proposal needs to outline what that will entail and how it
        will be accomplished. We could then discuss the proposal, perhaps agree on
        some modification and move forward with it rather then starting from a
        single word and having a group of people start the issue from scratch. Just
        my input on what might help.

        One more item... I certainly think we need to establish who is a member and
        how to track members before we move on to subjects such as Officers. I don't
        see how we can vote on issues or select officers without determining who is
        a member first and have some discussion about the input members have.

        Two issues I don't mind writing up are ideas on who is a member and tracking
        members as well as coming up with some ideas on generating money for the
        club.

        On a side note... we are just waiting for the AKA to add our club as an
        Affiliated AKA club. All of the paperwork has been sent in for this to be
        done. The only think that was not done was to pay the yearly $75 for the
        club insurance. But this could be done anytime.

        wrote:

        > I have a agenda for this meeting;
        > establish our club,
        > Officers, dues, mission statement
        > AKA recognition
        >
        > This should do for starters,
        > I just got home from the Antelope Island event committee meeting and we
        > are in store for a great event, there are some very big ideas flowing
        > and this has more potential than any of us imagined.
        > We need, no we have to be united and organized, to the extreme. This is
        > not about any of us as individuals but about us as a group, a TEAM.
        > Together Everyone Achieves More
        > Enough of the freakin debates, either we are doin this or not.
        > --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Copeland" <todd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > If we have a meeting we need to have a clear agenda as to what would
        > be
        > > discussed (specifically).
        > >
        > > Is it possible that we might be able to discuss some items via email?
        > >
        > > Rachel started along this process but I think we need to determine who
        > we
        > > consider a member of the group and how we make these people
        > "official".
        > >
        > > I think a person should request to be a member and submit their name,
        > > address, phone number and email address. At certain intervals (once a
        > year?)
        > > we'd have someone contact these people to confirm that they wish to
        > renew
        > > their membership (currently free). If this cannot be confirmed, their
        > name
        > > is removed. Membership information could be published or non-published
        > at
        > > the member's request.
        > >
        > > A "join" page could also be added to the website.
        > >
        > > Knowing specifically who was a member would also help us set up a
        > members
        > > only Yahoogroup for email distribution. This would be used for
        > internal club
        > > matters. All of this would also make sure everyone's input was
        > considered in
        > > different matters.

      • Kevin Bayless
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2 9:33 AM
          I agree, either this is going to work or not,

          Message 4 of 16 , May 2 11:22 AM
            Todd,

            These recollections that you have are a perfect example of why we need to have some organization. i.e., meeting leader, scribe, minutes, etc. I have always been a strong proponent for paying dues for the reasons I mentioned. My recollection was that you were the only one who was against paying dues for reasons unknown.
            Also, if you remember we did make proposal at the last meeting. I had said to go to the AKA standard club documentation that Kevin supplied to us and read through the "Establishing a club" document.(I can't remember the exact title at the moment) I for one think that there are some great examples in that document that we could follow as a place to start.
            I think that we know who the members are or will be at this point. But my point is that there is no individual responsibility tied to a free club and no AKA affiliation with a free club. Someone just needs to step up and take on a leadership role, make a strong proposal and follow through. I can't speak for Kevin, but I beleive that he is a good candidate for this. He makes the proposal and if anyone can not work with the known members to reach a common concensus along the proposal guidelines, then they should not seek membership. Otherwise, this point vs. counter point bullshit will go on forever and nothing will be accomplished.

            If I am off base on my philosophy concerning this, let me know.

            Have a great day and stay dry!!!

            TadMan

          • Mr. Robin Mc
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 15, 2009
              WHY have there NOT been any more messages posted on here since Kevin declared that he may be leaving here? WHY is there so much Quarreling there in the LDS empire, when you folks should be Joyous over how you have such a Great Club already! MUST BE NICE!!!

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 16, 2009
                I'm not sure. I've put a few messages out with some news and queries about
                flying but only seen responses from Monte. There is an outdoor event coming
                up this weekend here in SLC that AJ (from Cedar City) will be coming up for.
                They want kite flyers out flying some kites. I'll be there.

                As I've said before... it's all about flying kites. Nothing else really
                matters. It does not matter if it's one person or twenty. You just need to
                get out and fly.

                It could be the weather here; it's been raining every day for the past two
                weeks. Really strange. But it looks like it will be clearing up by Friday
                and will be very nice over the weekend.

                I'm not sure what the area is like at this outdoor expo. I'm always worried
                about trees and a crowd of people. I'll have to see if I can get over there
                before this weekend. AJ says it's not too bad and that the people putting it
                on have told her she can have any area she wants. So we will see.

                wrote:

                > I think we need to have a meeting. Thoughts?

              • monte anderson
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 16, 2009

                  I too have been wondering what happen.  The weather has been less than cooperative, but the emails just stopped.

                  I can’t participate as much as I like.  I’m saving my leave time for a cruise Gerry and I are going on next month.  Yes, I’m taking some of my kites.  I don’t know if I’ll be allowed to fly them off the ship, but I’ll try.

                  Monte

                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 16, 2009
                    When it rains it pours, as they say...

                    It's no big secret that our buisiness has exploded, which is a real blessing considering the economic times. However, couple that with a bout of nasty flu (tested negative for H1N1) and an MRI later this week for a suspected torn rotator cuff and we have a recipie for... well, it's pouring! Heh.

                    If I am home Saturday and feeling up to it, I will most likely make it to the event to see what's going on, however, with the shoulder I probably won't be carrying any kites with me. You may want to post an address and any other details you may have to help us find it.

                    -Jeff

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 16, 2009

                      The address I have for Canyon Rim Park is, 3100 South 3100 East in SLC.

                      I’ve put what information I have here:

                      http://www.utahkitefliers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58

                      Work… Flu… Torn Rotator Cuff… these things can keep you from flying! J

                      Heck, I’m just looking forward to getting outside and not being in the rain!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 16, 2009
                        Yep, it is the palce I was thinking of, years ago I used to mountain bike on the trails in the ravine down below the park.

                        The weather has been somewhat nice in the sense that you don't have to run the heater or the air conditioner, and the sprinklers have been off for the most part. Kind of strange since we've reached the middle of June!

                        -Jeff

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 16, 2009

                          I placed a Street View photo on the website. As usual, I’m a little worried about the trees around the park. But it’s only 10 minutes away and the weather looks pretty good this weekend. Plus, AJ is coming up from Cedar City and will have a vendor tent set up. I think she might be having a kite workshop for the kids. To be honest, I always give some thought to meeting up with AJ whenever she does stuff as it’s important to me to support the “localist” kite shop around. She really does a lot in her area to promote kiting. Either way, I’m sure I’ll find something to do there.