Re: [utahkitefliers] Re: Spanish Fork Kite Festival - Directions

  • Rachel Wentz
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1 12:28 PM
      >Does anyone know what the deal is with Tuesday morning?
      >Time? I can't imagine that much would be seen at 6am.

      I am wondering the same.
      I'm willing to drive down there, but I'd have to leave by 8:00 to get back to work... so I'm wondering if it is worth the drive for that amount of time.  (Considering that sunrise isn't until almost 7 o'clock at this time of year, I am having some doubts.)

      Does someone know the details of what's expected Tuesday morning?  I guess I'm not inclined to put in the gasoline and drive-time without a more concrete idea of what's going on.

      -Rachel
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1 1:05 PM
        In my original post about the Tuesday morning Fox deal, I left Elaine's email and phone number...

        I just got off the phone with her, and the bottom line is that people will want to be there no later than 6AM. Fox shoots in segments 6, 6:15, 6:25 and so on and so forth. I wouldn't expect a full 2 hour segment, but something more along the lines of seeing kites get launched and interviews with the people who are flying them. In all reality, the news people are offering the ONLY day & time slot they can to help get some television exposure (free advertising) and help the festival reach more people. It sounds like to me that everything will be wound up near the 8:00 hour, perhaps a little later. The light is probably not the best I will admit, but the real goal of the event is to gain free exposure for the festival and the UKF.  If you have any additional questions, call her, she's down there today working on the festival and has her cell phone with her.

        As for Thursday evening, the banquet is at 6:30 and RSVP is an absolute must if you are going to attend. As I mentioned before this is only available to people who will actually be attending the festival, or perhaps a deal can be made with her to purchase a ticket otherwise. It only makes sense but she needs to hear from anyone interested (if you haven't already) ASAP.

        She did mention that the ultimate goal would be to make this thing a smashing success in order to help it become an annual event here in Utah. She hinted that bringing in outside influence is extremely expensive, and would love to see the UKF eventually "own" the event as she put it in her own words. Unfortunately I am two days down in the week (Today and Friday) so tomorrow morning is not even a remote possibility for me, but the Thursday evening banquet is looking better and better by the hour. I told her that I would have my RSVP (or not) in no later than tomorrow evening.

        Regards,

        -Jeff

        >Does anyone know what the deal is with Tuesday morning?
        >Time? I can't imagine that much would be seen at 6am.

        I am wondering the same.
        I'm willing to drive down there, but I'd have to leave by 8:00 to get back to work... so I'm wondering if it is worth the drive for that amount of time.  (Considering that sunrise isn't until almost 7 o'clock at this time of year, I am having some doubts.)

        Does someone know the details of what's expected Tuesday morning?  I guess I'm not inclined to put in the gasoline and drive-time without a more concrete idea of what's going on.

        -Rachel

      • Kevin Bayless
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 2 2:35 AM

          Well, it's around 3:30 am tuesday morning, I'm pretty sure Todd has never seen this time of day before. Getting ready to leave in about an hour to Spanish Fork.

          This is a huge deal for us as a club, it was way expensive for them to bring in the out of state kite talent they have for this thing and Jeff is right, we could own this deal as a annual event with what appears to be fantanstic sponsership on the part of the city. The Date seems to be good, the site might be pretty good and the cooperation of the city seems to be there. I would encourage anyone who is a member to plan on attending if at all possible. For this kind of oppertunity to fall into our laps is rare and we should make the best of it.

          I look forward to seeing everyone this week end and hopefully someone records buhda this am for me.

          Kevin

          --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, Jeff <jeffersz@...> wrote:

          > In my original post about the Tuesday morning Fox deal, I left Elaine's email and phone number...
          > I just got off the phone with her, and the bottom line is that people will want to be there no later than 6AM. Fox shoots in segments 6, 6:15, 6:25 and so on and so forth. I wouldn't expect a full 2 hour segment, but something more along the lines of seeing kites get launched and interviews with the people who are flying them. In all reality, the news people are offering the ONLY day & time slot they can to help get some television exposure (free advertising) and help the festival reach more people. It sounds like to me that everything will be wound up near the 8:00 hour, perhaps a little later. The light is probably not the best I will admit, but the real goal of the event is to gain free exposure for the festival and the UKF.  If you have any additional questions, call her, she's down there today working on the festival and has her cell phone with her.
          > As for Thursday evening, the banquet is at 6:30 and RSVP is an absolute must if you are going to attend. As I mentioned before this is only available to people who will actually be attending the festival, or perhaps a deal can be made with her to purchase a ticket otherwise. It only makes sense but she needs to hear from anyone interested (if you haven't already) ASAP.
          > She did mention that the ultimate goal would be to make this thing a smashing success in order to help it become an annual event here in Utah. She hinted that bringing in outside influence is extremely expensive, and would love to see the UKF eventually "own" the event as she put it in her own words. Unfortunately I am two days down in the week (Today and Friday) so tomorrow morning is not even a remote possibility for me, but the Thursday evening banquet is looking better and better by the hour. I told her that I would have my RSVP (or not) in no later than tomorrow evening.
          > Regards,
          > -Jeff

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 2 7:48 AM
            Saw you and Todd just as I was heading out to work, hopefully you got
            that beast of yours in the air! Oh and Kevin? That foil looks just as
            good on TV as it does in person. ;) I really wanted to come today,
            but unfortunately it just wasn't in the cards. Didn't record the
            segment either(I actually didn't get to see it all) but I know that
            Fox posts it on their webpage so we should be able to find it.

            -Jeff

            --- In utahkitefliers@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Bayless"

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 2 8:33 AM
                Oh, I got it! I'll see about cutting it down to just that segment and
                posting it. SWEET!

                Thanks for getting out there Kevin, really appreciate it!

                It really looked like there was not enough wind to launch the kite. Still,
                _very_ impressive and the kite _still_ looked great.

                I was surprised that the segment was as long as it was. Good to see.

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 2 10:38 AM
                  Talk about a glance... My wife was even on the phone w/me and she thought you were there. OUR BAD. :P

                  Kevin, you're awesome, thanks a milloin for getting out there I too appreciate it.

                  Can't wait to see the segment!

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 2 11:02 AM

                    Please… if I was there Kevin’s kite would have gotten off the ground the first try! J I put the 1st and 2nd segments together.

                    I’m working on the segment right now. Sheezzz, takes like 2 hours to cut and convert the file. After that I need to compress it (unless someone wants a 7.8GB 1 minute clip).

                    I’m really looking forward to this weekend. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun!

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 2 3:08 PM
                      I've been trying to send this email ALL DAY and gmail hates me.
                      (Grrr.)
                      ------------------------------------
                      I hope it goes (went) well for you guys this morning.
                      As usual, I ended up a no show.  :::sigh:::
                      (Got a migraine last night, couldn't drive home from work, had to sleep here.)

                      On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Kevin Bayless <wakelesskites@...> wrote:

> [...]

                      > She did mention that the ultimate goal would be to make this thing a smashing success in order to help it become an annual event here in Utah. She hinted that bringing in outside influence is extremely expensive, and would love to see the UKF eventually "own" the event as she put it in her own words. Unfortunately I am two days down in the week (Today and Friday) so tomorrow morning is not even a remote possibility for me, but the Thursday evening banquet is looking better and better by the hour. I told her that I would have my RSVP (or not) in no later than tomorrow evening.

                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 2 3:49 PM

                        Cripes Todd, you need me to bring you a REAL computer to edit that video? I'm dying over here! :P

                        I am also looking forward to it, it's going to be GREAT fun!

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 2 3:56 PM

                          Then you’re in for a disappointment. I’ve tried cutting it down and that failed. Then I tried cutting it down and then compressing and that failed also. Each attempt takes about 2 hours. If you’ve ever compressed a video you know how slow it can be. I’m going to work on it this evening.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 2 4:14 PM

                            Indeed I have, and many of them, that's what makes ribbing you over it that much more fun! :D

                            I'd imagine they'll have the segment posted on the website later tonight or tomorrow morning, it wasn't there a few minutes ago anyway.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 2 4:33 PM
                              Elaine told me she has a copy of the whole thing for us, I'll get it Thurs night, wish i could see it now especially the second part where buhda was holding me down while flying the stack

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 2 4:45 PM
                                It's also now posted on the "my fox utah" website. ;)

                                Elaine told me she has a copy of the whole thing for us, I'll get it Thurs night, wish i could see it now especially the second part where buhda was holding me down while flying the stack

                                --- In utahkitefliers@ yahoogroups. com, Jeff <jeffersz@...> wrote:

                                > Indeed I have, and many of them, that's what makes ribbing you over it that much more fun! :D
                                > I'd imagine they'll have the segment posted on the website later tonight or tomorrow morning, it wasn't there a few minutes ago anyway.

                              • Monte
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 2 9:58 PM

                                  Hi Jeff:

                                  I’ve been following all the e-mails you guys have been sending, especially the Spanish Fork Festival.  I’ve gone into mayfoxutah and I can’t find where it’s posted.

                                  I’ve not joined in any activities or e-mails because of my job.  I work form 5:30 PM to 5:30 AM Thursday thru Saturday and every other Wednesday.  My week end is Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday.  Sunday Is Church and catch up on sleep day.  Yeah, I don’t have much of a social life.  I hardly have a life!!  Oh what we do to yours elf’s to pay the bills.

                                  I will spend this coming in my home town for an all (High School) class reunion with Micki Kawakami.  We met last Oct in Pocatello and found out we went to the same high school.  We’re planning on flying a kite or two if the wind cooperates.

                                  Please keep me on your e-mail list.  I enjoy following the progress of the club.  And maybe one of these days…..

                                  Thanks,

                                  Monte

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 3 5:16 AM

                                    Greetings Monte;

                                    Bout time you said something=P~ The channel 13 spot is under Sept 2 highlites of the good day utah section. I was only there for a short time but it was fun, this weekend should be a good time. Where do you live and what do you do for a living? Anyway it's good to hear from ya.

                                    Kevin

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 3 7:28 AM

                                      Monte, Try this link:

                                      http://www.myfoxutah.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/GoodDay?pageId=5.2

                                      It will be under the Good Day Utah, September 2 link near mid-page. The videos aren't quite in order (at least last night they weren't) but all the content is there. Kevin's foil is quite impressive on the tube, but somehow it still doesn't compare to actually standing next to it and seeing it for yourself. AMAZING the amount of work he put into creating it, and his other kites are pretty awesome as well!

                                      As for real-life grabbing ahold and not letting go, I completely understand, thanks for chiming in and letting us know you're there!

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 3 9:39 AM

                                        Kevin:

                                        Present circumstances dictate I live in Ogden .  I’m working for Fresenius Medical making filters for the kidney machines.  The job itself isn’t bad but the hours are killing me.  I’m not used to them yet.

                                        I enjoyed to clips of your kite.  What an undertaking.  I’m not in to making kites just putting some color up in the sky.

                                        Monte

                                        Bout time you said something=P~ The channel 13 spot is under Sept 2 highlites of the good day utah section. I was only there for a short time but it was fun, this weekend should be a good time. Where do you live and what do you do for a living? Anyway it's good to hear from ya.

                                        Kevin

                                        --- In utahkitefliers@ yahoogroups. com , "Monte" <monteanderson37@ ...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Jeff:
                                        >
                                        > I've been following all the e-mails you guys have been sending, especially
                                        > the Spanish Fork Festival. I've gone into mayfoxutah and I can't find
                                        where
                                        > it's posted.
                                        >
                                        > I've not joined in any activities or e-mails because of my job. I work
                                        form
                                        > 5:30 PM to 5:30 AM Thursday thru Saturday and every other Wednesday. My
                                        > week end is Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday. Sunday Is Church
                                        and
                                        > catch up on sleep day. Yeah, I don't have much of a social life. I hardly
                                        > have a life!! Oh what we do to yours elf's to pay the bills.
                                        >
                                        > I will spend this coming in my home town for an all (High School) class
                                        > reunion with Micki Kawakami. We met last Oct in
                                        w:st="on">Pocatello and found out we