Cool InsideOut Article dein DesNews

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15 7:21 PM
      Headline: InsideOut set to say farewell

      Subhead: Hard to stay on tour and record, member says

      Author: By Carma WadleyDeseret News senior writer

      For 3 1/2 years they've recorded, given concerts throughout the
      West and won
      national awards by making music the old-fashioned way -- from
      the InsideOut. Now
      the popular a cappella group is turning its agenda upside-down.

      It's getting too difficult to keep touring and recording, said
      tenor Paul Hatch.
      Everyone's moving in different directions.

      InsideOut members met while they were students at Brigham Young
      University. "We
      got together and started singing, thinking it would be a good
      way to woo women,"
      Hatch said with a laugh. It apparently was. Four of the six
      members are now
      married and have children.

      For some, there's still more school -- Bass Ryan Hinton is going
      to graduate
      school at Stanford; tenor/songwriter Kimball Brown is doing
      graduate work at the
      American University in Washington, D.C.; and Ben Haacke is
      getting an MBA at
      Idaho State University.

      And vocal percussionist Jason Smith is working with Industrial
      Light and Music
      in the Bay area. "Layne (Haacke) and myself are the only ones
      left in Provo. But
      if we get together to sing, all we get is a lot of oooohs and
      doo-waps," Hatch
      joked. "We'll keep in touch. We'll keep the Web site
      www.insideout-acappella.com. We may even record another CD down
      the road. So
      it's not like we're really breaking up. We're just decided to
      end our live
      performances."

      InsideOut will give farewell performances Friday and Saturday,
      April 19-20, in
      the Viewmont High School auditorium. The shows begin at 7:30,
      and tickets are $8
      for adults and $5 for children, available at the door or in
      advance at Deseret
      Book and Carr Stationery stores.

      It was a difficult decision, said Hatch. "But all along we knew
      our priorities.
      School and family and religion always came first."

      It's been a good ride, he said, and it has come at a time when a
      cappella music
      itself has been going in exciting directions. "It's always been
      a grass-roots
      genre. But in the last decade or so, it's become more
      contemporary. There's a
      new way of looking at the human voice, and it's very exciting to
      hear."

      Also, said Hatch, a whole support structure has developed --
      societies,
      competitions, awards that give encouragement and legitimacy to
      the singers.
      InsideOut has won some of those awards, including a 2002 CARA
      (Contemporary A
      Cappella Recording Awards) for best Pop/Rock Original Song,
      "Taken Up," from
      their latest "So It Seems" CD.

      The group was were named audience favorite at Harmony
      Sweepstakes in Denver and
      has been nominated for CARAs in both comedy and religion
      categories. "That said
      something about the variety we've always tried to include," said
      Hatch.

      "Our shows appeal to people of all ages," Hatch said. "We throw
      in some cool
      songs for the teenagers. We mix unique and original songs with
      songs that
      everyone knows and likes. There's a lot of fun,
      spur-of-the-moment humor. Our
      'drummer' does a tribute to the 'Star Wars' trilogy that we
      can't leave out
      because the audience demands it."

      Getting to meet and interact with so many people throughout the
      West has been
      the best part of performing, he said. But even though that part
      is ending, "it's
      also fun to think that we've produced something memorable; that
      someday I can
      play the CDs for my kids and let them see I used to be cool."

      And he will carry lessons he's learned into new endeavors. "I've
      learned the
      importance of working with good people. If you surround yourself
      with good
      people who have good values, you can't help but do good."

      He thinks all the InsideOut members will continue to work with
      music in some
      way, because they've seen how much music can move people.
      "Nothing was better
      than getting e-mails or talking to people who said, 'You made my
      day' or 'My
      grandpa died, and you helped me.' Music is able to bridge the
      gap between
      generations. It speaks to the heart."

      Life will take the members of InsideOut in new directions. But,
      you get the
      feeling they will always be right-side-up.

      E-MAIL: carma@...

      Copyright 2002, Deseret News Publishing Co.